wot is a good telly? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

24Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 83 Old 23-11-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
wot is a good telly?

recommendations,pls :tum:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

If you go back in time about 10 years, you (still) can't beat a Panasonic Plasma G10.

This helps, right?
(Post Link) post #3 of 83 Old 23-11-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
:doh:
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Depends on size, budget, features (if any), picture quality, eco rating etc... It's like asking what's a good car ;-)
(Post Link) post #5 of 83 Old 23-11-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
:bangheed:
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

We have some Samsung 4K curved ones in a variety of sizes - they're alright. - and reasonably priced on Amazon's black Friday sale... https://www.amazon.co.uk/apb/page/re...AD1VY9Z2CTR42A
(Post Link) post #7 of 83 Old 23-11-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
yeah

what brands are recommended?

have a 42" LG, bit past it etc.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

You can't go wrong with LG, Samsung or Sony generally - but I recommend you look for something with HDR though, it makes a huge difference.

I had my eye on a Phillips Ambilight one, as I have the smart bulbs too, but the thought of a phillips user interface made me cringe somewhat.

FYI Currys have some decent deals on....

Last edited by amfalconer; 23-11-18 at 10:47.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I'm looking at a Panasonic. LG tend to look good in the stores but can be over-bright. Sony have a good rep. I wanted to avoid a voice-activated Android TV anyway but I've been hankering after a Panasonic for a number of years. I also like the idea of the Homescreen (Firefox OS based) user interface. I may have to block out the mic if I get a 2018 TV though as even Panasonic have added it on most models.

Current TV is a Toshiba (a good few years old) that has done the job on the whole but it's not a brand leader in truth...
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
sony.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Two Samsungs and an older LG in the house, all pretty good though the best is the most recent, a 2 yr old Samsung HD ready Smart TV.

I prefer buying something cheaply just after production's discontinued, rather than paying more for one just before it's discontinued. The turnover in models is such that you're unlikely to find the exact model anyone else recommends still on sale.

Was glad to get a Smart TV at the time; not sure I'd bother now. If you have Virgin, they offer iPlayer and Youtube on the Tivo box, and for anything else I plug an HDMI lead into the laptop. This does mean building new furniture to support the laptop close enough to the telly.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
Two Samsungs and an older LG in the house, all pretty good though the best is the most recent, a 2 yr old Samsung HD ready Smart TV.

I prefer buying something cheaply just after production's discontinued, rather than paying more for one just before it's discontinued. The turnover in models is such that you're unlikely to find the exact model anyone else recommends still on sale.

Was glad to get a Smart TV at the time; not sure I'd bother now. If you have Virgin, they offer iPlayer and Youtube on the Tivo box, and for anything else I plug an HDMI lead into the laptop. This does mean building new furniture to support the laptop close enough to the telly.
I don't know if the V6 box is better but iPlayer on the V4 is horrendously slow (in fact all the Beeb stuff is...)
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

We have a Digihome 32 inch TV purchased from Currys about 5 years ago....couldn't fault it.

Horses for courses.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
I don't know if the V6 box is better but iPlayer on the V4 is horrendously slow (in fact all the Beeb stuff is...)
Agreed...iPlayer is so slow on VM...better just to record it and watch that way.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
No problems at all on my V6. Are we talking about the same thing? There's a connection between the router and the V6 box, so it's the full internet version of iPlayer. I didn't realise you could do this on the V4 box. I thought V4 delivered catch-up through the digital TV service, which is a bit clunky.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
B&O TVs are good. They come with excellent speakers so don't need a soundbar. You only realise how good they are when you see the ones you get in a hotel room or when you visit somebody else's house.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
According to “T3”, some techno-freak spend-fest publication, the best ‘value’ 4K tv is the Philips 43PUS6262.

Unless you want to cough £2.5k on OLED HDR or £6K on an LG W8.

I see that mortgage payment is burning a hole in your pocket
steveisfrowning likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
I have a 49 inch LG 4K UHD which is brilliant in my own opinion, I had always previously had Sony and grew up in a house where my Dad always had B&O which are lovely design pieces but I don’t believe the price difference justifies the benefits gained. Each to their own though.
AO Platinum Member

The latest Beovision , the Eclipse , is based on an LG for the TV bit and indeed it's difficult to justify the price premium which brings a 65" to £13k once you've added the stand. Only problem is the B&O interface including "curtains " on turning on and off is not there.
Still , they'll give you £1800 trade-in for your old telly.
(Post Link) post #20 of 83 Old 24-11-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
That's ridiculous. Effing ridiculous.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
wot is good telly is any wot not show fings like eastenders. Dem best tellies
steveisfrowning and cue2 like this.
(Post Link) post #22 of 83 Old 24-11-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Scudetto likes this.
AO Platinum Member

I agree with the idea that telly is primarily what you see and hear on the product more than the product itself. I like to have a good TV for when I do view it. A bit like having a really nice car it still travels down the same roads.
Scudetto likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Update, the T3 TDWSNMUMD list now has the Sony KD49XF7073 as a best buy. It lists at £799 but they reckon that ‘on a good deal day’ you might get one for £550.

This demonstrates two things.

1 Retail is little more than cut-throat bartering these days.
2 Whatever you buy it will be out of date next month.

Let us know what you get so we can tell you we would not have bought it and could have got it cheaper had we wished.

(Post Link) post #25 of 83 Old 27-11-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Well, quite. I can't arrive at a decision.

On the other hand, I'm awake early after a horrible dream. I was in a queue at an open air event for a stall selling food. There were a couple in front of me, and in front of them the queue was long. Wait, it gets worse. A woman shuffles into the queue ahead of the couple who say nothing. I call her out and she comes to the back of the queue behind me. She presses and shoves disconcertingly against my back. I ask her to stop. This continues for some time. During the process I'm aware that the woman in the couple in front occasionally slows or stops, obviously deliberately, so that I bump into her slightly.

The queue splits into two serving points as we approach the stall. The couple, wordlessly, go to the right. I go to the left, but the bloke serving is busy round the back. I cast my eyes upon a pretty unappetising edifice of pies. Eventually he returns and the woman from behind is gone, but a burly fellow has pulled up to the counter, catches the eye of the serving bloke. I interrupt and explain that I am next, and people in the queue can attest to that. Nobody does, but the server, rather reluctantly, turns to me and gets me my fish and chips. Words are had with the burly fellow who falsely accuses me of cutting in.

When my food comes the burly chap reaches out and takes it. I've already paid. This is distressing. I try to talk with him but he is rude and he is teaching me a lesson. Threats are exchanged, and this is initiated by him. He begins to open the wrapping. I ask him to desist. He refuses and is more abusive.

Instinctively I aim a short sharp glance to his jaw and he crumples in a heap. I pick him up, and note that nobody appears to have noticed. We're in a pub now, and I pop him onto a bench. He looks asleep, but I'm worried that he is dead.

I scarper. I'm wearing children's slippers and I am wandering the streets where my maternal grandparents once lived. There is glass on the streets. Bottles have been smashed. I'm not wearing the slippers anymore, and my feet are in socks. I put the slippers back on. I lean against a pebble dashed wall to do so, and note some sort of amusement arcade over the road. Some kids in fancy dress walk into the street.

I walk past them, and realise my bike was left in one of the lanes further up the road, and head in that direction. I enter an indoor market and get caught up in the hustle and bustle. I overhear talk of a death, I exit as soon as I can without making a fuss.

Walking the streets a little more I begin to reconcile myself with the prospect of being arrested for an unlawful killing, and begin to ponder the consequences of my family. Momentarily I consider my browser history.

I wake at 4:39am.

I'm thinking I've probably wasted a few quid on that Google dongle if I'm looking at clever tellys, haven't I?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
good , telly , wot

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page