Networky Wi-Fi and an old BT home hub. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By rxe
  • 2 Post By rxe
  • 1 Post By Keithy

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 15-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Networky Wi-Fi and an old BT home hub.

The shed up the garden is out of Wi-Fi range. My plan is to use a power line adaptor from the DSL/Home hub and pop one in the socket in the shed. I then want the hub to broadcast the Wi-Fi signal, but I am worried that it won't be slaved correctly. What do I need to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
What sort of powerline adapter?

Most of them are simply a point to point network connection carried over a mains wire, so it would depend on something pumping the signal into the sending end.

I think you get can get these that actually extend a wifi signal over mains, but they are more pricey.

How far way is the shed?
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 15-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Home hub has 2 free ports, plan is to drop the power line adaptor in with the other one in the shed. Network cable from power line adaptor in shed to old hub. Old hub then picks up IP from main hub in house and broadcasts wi-fi signal there.

Or does it not work like that?
rxe
AO Silver Member

BT Home Hub almost certainly goes 1 way - so ADSL in, wifi and cat5 out. I very much doubt stuffing a cat 5 cable inbound will cause the wireless to broadcast. If it does, then their firewall inside the device is even more **** than I expected.

The set up:

Home Hub -> Cable -> Adapter - .... mains wire .... -> Adapter -> cable

will give you a working cable connection in the shed for one device.

If you need wifi in the shed, I would get a cheap AP and plug it into the cable. Give it a different SSID (shed_WIFI), if you turn the wifi DHCP off (to prevent it assigning addresses), then the addresses will be assigned from the home hub. You probably want to keep the AP DHCP on, so that it can get its own address from the home hub.

If you make the WIFI names the same, you will probably have all sorts of hand off issues as the APs know nothing about each other, but have the same name.
Keithy likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 15-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Is this...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-set...5/td-p/1675678

..covering what you just said?
rxe
AO Silver Member

That actually suggests your original idea will work, which is actually pretty horrible from a BT security POV - if someone was using a HH as it was intented, it really is pretty terrible that you can configure it this way. But for what you are trying to do, it will be fine. So try it - replace the cheap AP in my post above, and follow the instructions in that post.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Other option is just to get a wifi-enabled Powerline adapter... No need for the extra hub as there are powerline adapters that will broadcast 2.4GHz and/or 5GHz signals...
Click here for what you need!
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 18-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

This is where we start to go ‘off piste’. There is a very old powerline adaptor which runs from the dsl/ home hub to the Internetty Tellybox. There is then another powerline adaptor which runs from the home hub to an upstairs socket, each pair is, I suspect, running at different speeds, one at 100 and one at 200 mbps. I am half tempted to pitch the lot and start again with a 500 mbps trio but as we are FTC and 54 mbps in I don’t see any benefit in trying to shunt that around the house at 500! The only benefit would be if the two different pairs of powerline adaptors were causing huge amounts of packet collision errors etc, but would they be?

No 2 on the Git list

Are you folding?

AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

You will get better performance just having one set of three adaptors on the sector.

It helps if you think of the connections between adaptors as a virtual Ethernet cable. The one connected to the router looks to the router like it has a single physical connection but one virtual connection for each other adaptor. The router can handle this because it's a router. The remote adaptors are just like the end of an Ethernet cable in that, by themselves, they can only service one device. If you want to add a Wi-Fi access point to a remote adaptor then you can, and you can set it up as a "bridge". This just means that it passes everything on to the other router. It isn't problematic as rxe suspects it is but it does mean that you can access machines on the rest of the network. If it isn't configured as a bridge then you'll have a second network. I guess this is what a Wi-Fi enabled adaptor that AmicusPro suggests will do.
rxe
AO Silver Member

How far away is your shed?

I have long range wifi issues because Mrs rxe is obsessed with Owls. Unfortunately the inconsiderate feathery sods don't nest in places that have good wifi coverage for their nest box cameras.

The Tawnys live in a box about 100 metres from the house and are served by a Unifi AC Mesh Pro on the side of the house. Here:

https://unifi-mesh.ubnt.com/#antennas

The Barn owls are up a tree 200 meters away, and are served by the standard Unifi Mesh AP (cheaper) in a whacking great aerial.

Thankfully mummy and daddy owl don't know this, but the owlets could all watch individual channels of 4K grumble flicks if only they knew the password.

The other advantage of this system is that I can shut down the Playstation and YouTube from anywhere on Earth....

If your shed is < 100 m away, this sort of tech (loads of outfits do it) may just be simpler.
steveisfrowning and Sterzo like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
old man wants internet in the shed
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 21-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

steveisfrowning likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
home , hub , networky , wifi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page