Samsung galaxy S8 vs S9 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

7Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 04-09-18 Thread Starter
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
Samsung galaxy S8 vs S9

My mobile contract is up for renewal in the next few weeks, currently have an S7..

I am on EE and want to stick with Samsung.. looking at the options the S9 is considerably more expensive than the S8 for some reason (to buy outright only 100 difference, but over a 24 month contract its nearly 400 more for the S9).

Has anyone had both? I have googled it but its all a bit techy for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Have you evaluated whether you need a contract at all?
wred_e likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 28 Old 04-09-18 Thread Starter
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

I have a 30% friends and family discount so need to keep a contract to.keep it intact. Buying the phone and grtting sim only works out v similar once applied

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
What do you mean by friends & family discount?
(Post Link) post #5 of 28 Old 04-09-18 Thread Starter
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
What do you mean by friends & family discount?
Discount on the monthly contract charge.. friend works / worked for orange

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
I have an S9, never had the 8, I like it, screen is smaller than the note 4 I had before, but I was lucky the Note 4 lasted nearly 4 years, the camera on the 9 is the nuts, however I've read the S8 does most of the stuff the 9 does, I think the next big jump is going to be the S10, that might not help, but I got the S9 because the increase in cost with Vodafone over the contract was only a bit more than buying outright, I hate EE with a passion so can't tell you either way, but rather than look at 400 over 24 months, consider it as 16 quid a month 4 pound a week for newer tech, and whenever I get a new contract I always get the newest available as tech moves on so fast. But I think the S8 would do you fine,
PR likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR View Post
Discount on the monthly contract charge.. friend works / worked for orange

Mrs Pat 'didn't want to leave EE because we got calls 'Orange-to-Orange' for nominated numbers free'. Don't think she realised most contracts are now are all-you-can-eat calls and texts. Even if they are discounting the 'base' contract price be cautious, I switched from EE - because I hate them, hate their staff, hate their crappy poor-quality network and hate their condescending attitude to people who don't buy top-of-the-range phones - to Voda to pick up an S8. As you noticed the contract price is much better than buy outright and switching supplier I got my S8 for what I would have been paying EE for a much lower spec Huawei. Have a look on the CarBoneWhorehouse site and see whats available

No 2 on the Git list

Are you folding?

(Post Link) post #8 of 28 Old 05-09-18 Thread Starter
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Mrs Pat 'didn't want to leave EE because we got calls 'Orange-to-Orange' for nominated numbers free'. Don't think she realised most contracts are now are all-you-can-eat calls and texts. Even if they are discounting the 'base' contract price be cautious, I switched from EE - because I hate them, hate their staff, hate their crappy poor-quality network and hate their condescending attitude to people who don't buy top-of-the-range phones - to Voda to pick up an S8. As you noticed the contract price is much better than buy outright and switching supplier I got my S8 for what I would have been paying EE for a much lower spec Huawei. Have a look on the CarBoneWhorehouse site and see whats available
Yes I have been looking around. EE with the 30% discount (before VAT, so not quite 30!) seems to bring it inline with 3rd party sellers

Looking at the S8 v S9 thing, Techradar say they are v similar however, crucially the moan about the biometric unlocking (iris and finger print scanners) on the S8 is terrible and much improved on the S9.. that may swing it for me....
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
I don't use any biometric unlocking, because I've seen too many films, but the gist of it is that info has to be put into 1's and 0's and those could be obtained via a phone hack or something, the last bit of privacy we have is our eyes and fingerprints unless the police or immigration have them, but as I said, I've seen too many films,
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Or phone them up to "renew" your contract at a lower "Sim Only" price - I'm currently paying under 8/month for 4Gb and plenty mins + unlimited texts on EE. Bought my 950XL direct from MS on a deal a couple of years ago and will continue this way. EE was much better when it was Orange. I'm sad - I did a full-on spreadsheet to compare the deals and networks from a variety of sellers.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
I get a 44% discount with Vodafone for "loyalty" (been with them for 25 years!). They have a loyalty department, which I automatically get put through to with UK handlers.

So for example I'm paying 33 pcm for top of the range Huawei P20 Pro with unlimited calls/texts and 32GB data. This also includes Sky Sports mobile free for 2 years. I also have a SIM only for 10pcm (unlimited calls/texts and 8GB data) for my daughter.

For once I feel that my loyalty is being rewarded by Vodafone.

The P20 Pro is an excellent phone. Really happy with it and easily an equivalent of the latest top of the range Apple offerings. My neighbour has in fact just ditched Apple at last for one.
duemila likes this.

Silver 156 GTA SW, Q2, Koni FSD's, Eibach springs and anti-roll bars, CDA induction, re-map, Wizard/Pud exhaust - fantastic!
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeat View Post
I get a 44% discount with Vodafone for "loyalty" (been with them for 25 years!). They have a loyalty department, which I automatically get put through to with UK handlers.

So for example I'm paying 33 pcm for top of the range Huawei P20 Pro with unlimited calls/texts and 32GB data. This also includes Sky Sports mobile free for 2 years. I also have a SIM only for 10pcm (unlimited calls/texts and 8GB data) for my daughter.

For once I feel that my loyalty is being rewarded by Vodafone.

The P20 Pro is an excellent phone. Really happy with it and easily an equivalent of the latest top of the range Apple offerings. My neighbour has in fact just ditched Apple at last for one.
That is a cracking deal to be fair
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
Also I forgot to mention, although it doesn't bother me, they added a dedicated bixby button on the S9 below the volume keys, can be annoying and you can disable it if you're bothered
PR likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I have the S8, Ikeep getting pestered to upgrade to the S9 but I'm waiting for the S10, there's not a huge amount of difference between the two phones and most online resources say it's not worth upgrading because of the marginal changes, the camera is better on the S9 and the S8 has an annoying location for the fingerprint sensor - but I'm happy with my S8 and I'm probably what would be called a 'power user'

It all depends if you're the sort of person who has to have the latest & greatest.
(Post Link) post #15 of 28 Old 10-09-18 Thread Starter
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
Or phone them up to "renew" your contract at a lower "Sim Only" price - I'm currently paying under 8/month for 4Gb and plenty mins + unlimited texts on EE. Bought my 950XL direct from MS on a deal a couple of years ago and will continue this way. EE was much better when it was Orange. I'm sad - I did a full-on spreadsheet to compare the deals and networks from a variety of sellers.
I too have a spreadsheet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
I have the S8, Ikeep getting pestered to upgrade to the S9 but I'm waiting for the S10, there's not a huge amount of difference between the two phones and most online resources say it's not worth upgrading because of the marginal changes, the camera is better on the S9 and the S8 has an annoying location for the fingerprint sensor - but I'm happy with my S8 and I'm probably what would be called a 'power user'

It all depends if you're the sort of person who has to have the latest & greatest.
Where is the fingerprint sensor on the S8? I have read it a few times its in an annoying place..?
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
I too have a spreadsheet!

Where is the fingerprint sensor on the S8? I have read it a few times its in an annoying place..?
It is in a strange place, off centre next to the camera lens on the back of the phone. However, it also has facial recognition so you will probably use that as the main way to unlock the phone. I have facial recognition, and to be honest don't use the finger print scanner any more.
PR likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

As above, it's a pain as you're often smudging the camera lens, I got a case with a more defined hole for the sensor.

I don't find the facial recognition much use, nor the iris sensor, but setting smart lock for home and work, and when connected to the car's bluetooth does it for me
(Post Link) post #18 of 28 Old 19-09-18 Thread Starter
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

I plumped for an S9 in the end. My F&F discount was better than I remembered (30% off total, I assumed it was 30% pre VAT), so 24 months, 10gb for about 37

Thanks for all the tips

Now for a subtle protective case... any ideas??
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
Quote:
I plumped for an S9 in the end. My F&F discount was better than I remembered (30% off total, I assumed it was 30% pre VAT), so 24 months, 10gb for about 37

Thanks for all the tips

Now for a subtle protective case... any ideas??
Not bad pricing, I've just ordered this for 3 quid will let you know if it's any good https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401312057008

And if you need any advice on the phone, feel free to ask, I think you'll like it once you personalize all the notification options etc,
PR likes this.
AO Platinum Member

@duemila, any advice gratefully received, had my s8 about a month and I find it quite annoying, as well as poor in terms of battery performance.
(Post Link) post #21 of 28 Old 21-09-18 Thread Starter
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

It came ok. All set up (basic) with no issues. I didnt realise it had a different type of charger though
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
@duemila, any advice gratefully received, had my s8 about a month and I find it quite annoying, as well as poor in terms of battery performance.
package disabler pro + (Samsung) on the app store is your friend, you can kill off all the bloatware - I get maybe a day and a half's battery out of mine, and it's almost never out of my hand. - Don't know why Samsung feel the need to put another version of almost everything on the phone!

If you do get it, maybe I can export my settings to save you the hassle of finding out what everything does, and if it's safe to disable - you can get into a lot of trouble disabling the wrong services.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
Quote:
Sorry I have an S9, the battery is good so far, for anyphone biggest battery killer is screen brightness, background apps you dont need and searching for wifi or mobile phone signal if theres no chance of finding one
(Post Link) post #24 of 28 Old 24-09-18 Thread Starter
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post
Sorry I have an S9, the battery is good so far, for anyphone biggest battery killer is screen brightness, background apps you dont need and searching for wifi or mobile phone signal if theres no chance of finding one
I use the battery saver function (and did on my S7). It does help matters.. until you use Strava, then it ruins your ride!
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
So the screen protector arrived, it's worth the 3 quid, and there is no effect on scrolling and touch, a light scrape of a pen knife and it's all good, there's also no annoying air bubbles, only around the edges unless you're better than applying it than I am, I will say though it seems to show fingerprints a lot more, it comes with a back cover too, which is a thin rubber, it changes the feel obviously but will definitely help and and also creates a bit more clearance so the camera lens isn't touching any surfaces you put it on,
PR likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
galaxy , samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page