Windows live mail problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 29-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
Windows live mail problems

It seems that Microsoft are now blocking connection from Live Mail to Outlook365 accounts. (microsoftonline.ccom)

It seems that you are expected to buy Outlook ($100) and renew annually.

I have three Btconnect email accounts which I have always accessed via Live Mail (pop3) but not any longer.

I have had to use the online app for the last couple of days but have just installed eM Client and this works fine as a Live Mail replacement.

Its a 35 one off payment for the Pro version which supports multiple email accounts or the Free version supports one account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Thunderbird?
https://www.thunderbird.net

Free, supports multiple accounts.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

I is confused. Surely a 365 account is a Microsoft Office 365 licence, which includes Outlook anyway? You don't pay extra for it.
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 29-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
I is confused. Surely a 365 account is a Microsoft Office 365 licence, which includes Outlook anyway? You don't pay extra for it.
Yes but it is the connection from Windows Live Mail 2011, to the server (outlook.office365.com) that MS have blocked. I prefer not to use web based clients (which are working). eM Client works fine.

Live Mail comes up with 'server terminated the connection' messages for all 3 accounts even though nothing has been changed and the same settings are used in EM Client.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Yes, I'm confused too why Oldie doesn't install Outlook 365 since he obviously has a subscription for it.
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 29-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Yes, I'm confused too why Oldie doesn't install Outlook 365 since he obviously has a subscription for it.
Oldie prefers not to use it. I'm happy with eM Client.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft, especially their subscription services and don't like online apps due to data limits.

My internet is via Tesco (O2) 4g/LTE using an Archer MR200 4g wifi router, fast but 27/month for 30gb so I simply want to download emails and then not be connected. (My superb LG Oled Smart TV is used for Netflix and Amazon so I soon use up 30gb if I'm not careful)

I think the reason Live Mail now doesn't work is because it doesn't support TLS, only SSL

Brera 3.2 SV Q4
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldie View Post
Oldie prefers not to use it. I'm happy with eM Client.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft, especially their subscription services and don't like online apps due to data limits.

My internet is via Tesco (O2) 4g/LTE using an Archer MR200 4g wifi router, fast but 27/month for 30gb so I simply want to download emails and then not be connected. (My superb LG Oled Smart TV is used for Netflix and Amazon so I soon use up 30gb if I'm not careful)

I think the reason Live Mail now doesn't work is because it doesn't support TLS, only SSL
You do realise that Outlook is a program that you can download and run on your local machine just like Windows Live Mail? It's also now branded as an on-line service which is perhaps where the confusion comes from.
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 29-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
You do realise that Outlook is a program that you can download and run on your local machine just like Windows Live Mail? It's also now branded as an on-line service which is perhaps where the confusion comes from.
Quite possibly but prefer to avoid MS if at all possible.

I like all my software to run on my machine, regardless of an internet connection because this could never be taken for granted.

I think this stems from the poor speed of broadband in the Highlands and other rural areas where I've lived over the years.

4G only arrived less than a year ago and before that I had to use satellite broadband which was 35/month for 10gb so minimising usage to make it last a month was a priority.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

If you have a 365 mail account then the very best mail program to use is Outlook. Which ever mail client program you choose to run on your machine they will all use about the same amount of internet bandwidth.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Well, I agree with Oldie that eM Client is a good application - I use the free version.

Just confused as to what the problem is. Windows Live Mail is an old client application, no longer supported. Outlook is better than Windows Live Mail, and is included within the Office 365 licence, so you don't have to pay extra for it. If you don't like Outlook then why not pay a one off fee for Microsoft Office Home & Student, rather than paying an annual fee for Office 365, whose main attraction is that it includes Outlook?
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 30-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
Well, I agree with Oldie that eM Client is a good application - I use the free version.

Just confused as to what the problem is. Windows Live Mail is an old client application, no longer supported. Outlook is better than Windows Live Mail, and is included within the Office 365 licence, so you don't have to pay extra for it. If you don't like Outlook then why not pay a one off fee for Microsoft Office Home & Student, rather than paying an annual fee for Office 365, whose main attraction is that it includes Outlook?
I don't pay anything for the three email accounts that are hosted on Outlook servers. They were free accounts from my former broadband provider. I have work email accounts on the company domain so using a client like Live Mail means I can have all 6 accounts in one place.

Ironically, the Outlook accounts that stopped working in Live Mail, started working again this morning so MS must have had a problem.

However, I'm sticking with eM Client and will move the work email accounts over to it when I get a chance and then retire Live Mail. (I know its not been supported for a few years)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
live , mail , problems , windows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page