Windows 10 Anti-Christ vs Ralf S. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

14Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 92 Old 25-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Windows 10 Anti-Christ vs Ralf S.

Dudes,

I've persevered with the bas*ard but I just don't like it. Additionally some older applications and games that used to work on Windows-XP now don't (although I didn't try them all on Win-7 to be honest, so the "not working" could be a 64 bit issue generally).

I can't back it out, since the uninstall period has expired, so I'm considering re-installing Windows-7 which is recognizable to me, doesn't hog 98% of my PC's resources.. doesn't pop up Cortana unexpectedly.. and in particular might allow my older app's to work.

Is this a re-install of Windows/lose the hard drive contents? Or does Windows behave sensibly and just over-write their own rubbish? I'll try to get hold of a pukka Win-7 DVD and MS install code (my PC came with Win-& but no disc or codes, unfortunately).

Ralf S.
steveisfrowning likes this.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Wrong. FACT!

If you're running it on a machine designed for XP then it isn't surprising that your experience isn't good. Win 10 handles resources better than 7 so installing that probably won't help and may make things worse.

Did you try running your non-functional programs in compatibility mode?

I'm no Windows fan but 10 is so much better than any previous version.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Oh, and 7 won't install over 10.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
10 sucks.

Fresh install of 7 or 8.

8 if you have a touch screen.

Save all your data beforehand.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Rubbish.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Lubuntu 17.10...got such an old PC...and it runs like a dream.
steveisfrowning and wred_e like this.
AO Platinum Member

Got Ubuntu running on an Intel Stick.

This thread has inspired me to revert the Asus Vivobook back to 8.1Pro.

Got the lics for Windows and Office, got the Asus driver pack.
Scrubbed the partitions and it's off...!

If this fails I'm blaming Po'P.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
If this fails I'm blaming Po'P.

Seriously though, I don't understand the resistance to 10. 8 and 8.1 were pretty hard to use without a touch screen unless you restored the start menu functionality with a third-party utility. Otherwise it was much better than 7 if you could get your head around the settings/control panel schizophrenia. You can do more in the 10 settings even though the conversion isn't complete.

I hate the look of 7 and the file manager and the way it pauses for no reason and just about everything else when I'm unfortunate enough to have to use it.

Additionally 10 offers the Ubuntu subsystem which makes it a viable substitute for my dev machine when on the move.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

10 Sucks in many ways. Its the perfect example of taking away our freedom of choice and took a step too close to the way apple want to have control over how we use our tech. The only and single only good thing is that it boots up quickly.

Ill start a list of things that suck about W10. Feel free to add to it.

1. Automatic updates cant be turned off resulting in taking up bandwidth when I dont want it to. Yes I know there are work around for certain versions and also cheats like metered connection, but it still checks for them in the back ground.
Toronto Spider likes this.

Last edited by silverevo; 25-01-18 at 18:08.
AO Platinum Member

8.1PRO is back up and currently downloading updates.

You're off the hook, Po'p.

8.1 also has media center which is nice. If I can find i
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverevo View Post
10 Sucks in many ways. Its the perfect example of taking away our freedom of choice and took a step too close to the way apple want to have control over how we use our tech. The only and single only good thing is that it boots up quickly.

Ill start a list of things that suck about W10. Feel free to add to it.

1. Automatic updates cant be turned off resulting in taking up bandwidth when I dont want it to. Yes I know there are work around for certain versions and also cheats like metered connection, but it still checks for them in the back ground.
I'd argue that the default update policy is desirable for consumer versions of Windows - a lot of people who probably wouldn't update their system on their own. I believe the pro versions and above do allow a policy change.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
8.1PRO is back up and currently downloading updates.

You're off the hook, Po'p.

8.1 also has media center which is nice. If I can find i
Whew.

What does Media Center do that Kodi doesn't do better?
AO Member

County: -Armagh

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
I'd argue that the default update policy is desirable for consumer versions of Windows - a lot of people who probably wouldn't update their system on their own. I believe the pro versions and above do allow a policy change.
Yep, 10 Pro lets you control the updates.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebreaux View Post
Yep, 10 Pro lets you control the updates.
You can 'control' them but you dont have total control. You can defer them for a period but after that period they will without choice be installed. Thats not great seeing some updates dont actually work and its only until we the guinea pigs for microsoft discover they dont work will they be fixed. I'd rather wait and install them when I choose and after I know they dont have an issue. Also in all version you cant stop it checking for updates, so thats happening in the background using up valuable bandwidth, memory and CPU power. You can choose a window when they are installed but if you turn your computer off they will be installed when you turn it back on meaning you have to wait 10 minutes while it does that so thoughtfully for you.

I get the argument that for your average user then it helps to keep them safe, but what about people with an ounce of common sense a little bit of computing knowledge and most importantly the desire to have freedom of choice? then forced updates just dont cut it.
Toronto Spider likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Whew.

What does Media Center do that Kodi doesn't do better?
Does a great slideshow of photos to music for parties and events.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
10 is ghastly. Iíd have stuck with 7 if at all possible.

10 is about as reliable as 7 from a user perspective. Itís stable enough. It runs surprisingly well on very average hardware.

The problem is the crap-ware that comes with it. No, I donít want bloody Groove music. I wish Cortana would **** off back into the hole she came from. Tiles? Eff Off. The problem is that you can spend time getting it how you want it, and then every damn update Microsoft override what youíve done. Itís an advertising platform, done badly.

I have actually managed to kill Cortana permanently I think. Hasnít come back for three months.
Sterzo and silverevo like this.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Ive put this on my laptop the runs windows 10. Makes it look and feel like 7 and does a good job of it. Gets rid of those awful tiles.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements
AO Member

County: -Armagh

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverevo View Post
You can 'control' them but you dont have total control. You can defer them for a period but after that period they will without choice be installed. Thats not great seeing some updates dont actually work and its only until we the guinea pigs for microsoft discover they dont work will they be fixed. I'd rather wait and install them when I choose and after I know they dont have an issue. Also in all version you cant stop it checking for updates, so thats happening in the background using up valuable bandwidth, memory and CPU power. You can choose a window when they are installed but if you turn your computer off they will be installed when you turn it back on meaning you have to wait 10 minutes while it does that so thoughtfully for you.

I get the argument that for your average user then it helps to keep them safe, but what about people with an ounce of common sense a little bit of computing knowledge and most importantly the desire to have freedom of choice? then forced updates just dont cut it.
So, same as Apple then.

My missis is on the beta version of every Windoze update as part of her job. Trust me, we end users don't see half the problems that get punted out in the pre-release versions.
AO Platinum Member

8.1 is sooooo more responsive on the Asus now.

Maybe can start using it regularly again!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
10 is ghastly. Iíd have stuck with 7 if at all possible.

10 is about as reliable as 7 from a user perspective. Itís stable enough. It runs surprisingly well on very average hardware.

The problem is the crap-ware that comes with it. No, I donít want bloody Groove music. I wish Cortana would **** off back into the hole she came from. Tiles? Eff Off. The problem is that you can spend time getting it how you want it, and then every damn update Microsoft override what youíve done. Itís an advertising platform, done badly.
^ This, exactly this.

The level of confusion it creates for people who are competent users of Word and email but have no technical understanding is just appalling. Things happen, stuff pops up, you're invited to click on things - how are they to know what's safe and what isn't?

The updates cause you to black screen (happened to me, happened to two people I try to support), they grind everything to a halt (on brand new PCs).

Converting to a new system should be easy, but Microsoft said some years back they would prioritise innovation above backward compatibility and boy, have they done that. Their less expert users are no longer supported. (And don't get me started on Office 2016... no Outlook unless you buy an annual licence. Aaaargh!).
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
My experience with W10 was not good!

Tried it first on the netbook. It screwed up the touchpad, leaving the only operating function vertical scrolling. . . the wrong way round. Couldn't find updated drives to cure the problem, so I reverted to 8.1. Against my better judgement I tried it on the desktop. Total disaster, recoverable only by formatting the C: drive & doing a clean installation of 8.1.

I suspect I'd be having problems with 10 on the netbook right now, as the Microsoft "fix" for the recent well-documented security problem resulted in it freezing after a few minutes' use. Fortunately I was able to restore back to the pre-update state & turn off auto-update to prevent installation of the offending update; not, apparently, possible with 10.

What I don't like about 10, apart from all the bloatware I don't want, is the amount of control it takes. I've got news for, Microsoft. . . it's my computer, not yours!

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
What I don't like about 10, apart from all the bloatware I don't want, is the amount of control it takes. I've got news for, Microsoft. . . it's my computer, not yours!
And it's going to get worse, because they have a virtual monopoly.

Now where is the company that will produce a stripped back offering with a secure, user friendly layer running on Linux, plus a development of Open Office? It would sell.
AO Platinum Member

Apple?
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1451
County: Perth and Kinross
Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Windows 10 rocks. :Bowdown:
AO Platinum Member

Borrocks?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
antichrist , ralf , windows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page