Recommend me an electricity usage monitor... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 19-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Recommend me an electricity usage monitor...

Our electricity bill is horrific. 17,500 kWh per annum! Average usage for a detached house is about 4,200 kWh.

House is old, and I have a small office outside and garage and outside lights (now all LED).

Family of 5 so lots of washing machine and in winter tumble dryer use.

Heating/hot water is by oil fired boiler apart from in my office which is a mix of electric fan heater and wood burner and in kids playroom where the central heating is a bit ineffective so they have an oil filled rad in there.

Also underfloor heating in the conservatory which is on all winter.

Clearly we need to reduce consumption and I'm thinking a usage monitor would be handy to see what we are using at various times of the day and to try and change family habits.

Can anyone recommend one? Want a central one on the main supply in, not individual sockets.

Silver 156 GTA SW, Q2, Koni FSD's, Eibach springs and anti-roll bars, CDA induction, re-map, Wizard/Pud exhaust - fantastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Smart meter?
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 19-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Unfortunately I can't get one of those with isupply. They don't offer it (nor have to as they don't have enough customers).

I misread our electric statement, our usage is actually predicted at just under 10,000 kWh per year. Still bad...
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
The heating stuff is gonna suck most of the juice by far.
Followed by the washer & dryer.

What's the budget?

I'm really happy with my Tado for AC/Heating.

Alternatively there are also timed/temperature controlled R/C sockets you can add for all your additional heating bits
for very little outlay.

I used Otio (aka Enexo) but not sure if you can get all their kit in the UK.
From memory you can get a single RC remote/timer plus 3 R/C relay switches to embed into your sockets
for around 50 Euros

Here's the one I got:
https://www.amazon.fr/Otio-domotique...dp/B005L8210S/

Same RC can also be used to control plug-in sockets from their range:

https://www.amazon.fr/Otio-t%C3%A9l%...dp/B004WM2E3S/

There must be something similar with UK plugs etc.

Let's Off Road!
O|||||O

Last edited by TheGrimJeeper; 19-01-18 at 17:25.
AO Platinum Member

(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 19-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks Nev, I shall take a look at those links and see if I can find something similar.

What would be useful would be something I can just at a flick of a switch turn off the whole kids playroom....computers, tv, heater, keyboard, lights....
AO Platinum Member

The reason I like Tado so much is that it looks where your phone is and switches heating on/off
depending whether anyone is home or not. But I think if you wanted to rig a whole house with multiple
heating and room control you'd spend a fortune. (I have just one box, that emits IR to control the AC/heater
connected via WiFi. Works perfectly.)

I'd say you just need timer/thermostat controlled sockets with manual overrides.
AO Platinum Member

Another possibility:

https://www.switch-bot.com/
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
The monitors work, but IMO they are unnecessary. We have one as apart of the solar installation, and other than giving me smug satisfaction that I am getting free hot water in the summer AND being paid for it, it is pointless.

If it runs on electricity and gets hot, or is loud, it will be using power.

Your problem will be the heating. Our electric underfloor (only used when we are away and not feeding logs into the Rayburn) runs off a 4 kW electric boiler. Yours may be wires, but the load will be similar. A 4 Kw system running for an evening will be using probably 16 kWh - 1.60 or so. Another few kW for your rad and you'll be at 2.

Turn the target temperature down and your bills will reduce. It's as simple as that. Ditto with the dryer. Switching underfloor heating on and off is not a good idea - it is all about long slow heat and the thermal mass of the floor. If we switch ours on from cold, it runs very hard for about 12 hours, bringing 60 tonnes of concrete in the floor up to target temperature. You're then warm for a week. Once it is running, its all about target temperature - how frequently does it have to work to maintain the temperature.

On the flip side, you're spending the price of a latte to have have a nice warm house every day. Crack on.
AO Member

County: New South Wales
Stack on a 5kW solar system with solar hot water, battery storage and smart meter. After your batteries are fully charged your generated excess can be fed into the grid and you’ll be paid for it. I’m assuming you actually see the Sun in the UK. Some workmates are actually paying more than $2,000per quarter for their electricity and then they have their gas bill on top of that. We have 4 adults and 1 child in my household and our electricity bill is comparable to less than a 1 person household. Works for me. Did the led light replacement thing too.
We don’t use our clothes drier, just hang clothes in the garage when it’s wet. We set the air-con to 25 deg C when it’s hot but only cool the kitchen and family room. Our bill this time last year was $8.00. We get a bit of sunlight down here.
When it’s cold we wear the clothing appropriate for the weather and very rarely use a heater. So we have the opposite problem to you in the UK.

Last edited by ALFAGUY147; 26-01-18 at 11:00.
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 30-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks for all your comments. As RXE says, in retrospect, having thought about it, being told that something is using electricity isn't really going to be helpful.

Steps taken so far:

Conservatory underfloor heating temperature was indeed set very high and has now been turned down.

Kids turning off everything in playroom every night.

Me turning off my office every night (not just leaving it all on in the pretence that I might pop back in later after dinner)...

Dishwasher now runs a 1hr programme every night compared to the standard 2.5 hour programme.

Not much we can do regarding tumble dryer in this wet cold weather.

Told kids that unless the electric bill comes down there will be no summer holiday... Lights are being turned off!!

Switched a big old floodlight outside to an LED one. This was on a sensor and would on/off all night as the local wildlife go about their nocturnal activities...

Will see what effect this has over the coning months!
AO Platinum Member

Sounds like a good plan.
Especially threatening the kids with no holiday.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
electricity , monitor , recommend , usage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page