Mesh wifi - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 27-12-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Mesh wifi

This sort of thing:

https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt...le-home-wi-fi/

Would I be right that the difference between this and simple wifi extenders is that they all use the same wifi ID and password, rather than the extender basically being a different network which you can choose to log on to if it's stronger than the base routers?

They must surely still suffer from having to half their bandwidth between comms with the router and comms with the device though, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

I have WiFi extenders and can give them the same network name and password. I think mesh networks are supposed to be a bit smarter and measure the wireless environment then work together to provide optimum coverage.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
They create their own network between themselves
and the main router.

Google WiFi and Asus Lyra are 2 other products
to look at.

https://blog.google/products/google-...sh-your-wi-fi/
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
I use Ubiquiti Networks Unifi AC access points. Highly recommended, they just work. They’ve got proper enterprise tools, I can shut down the boys playstation from anywhere on earth...

They can do the mesh thing, I’ve not needed it yet as they have good range, and I have a cabled network that means 3 APs can be positioned around the house. With Mesh, don’t worry about bandwidth - a modern multi radio (5 +2.4 GHz) AP will have > 1Gbit of radio bandwidth, even if you lost lots of it, you would still have vastly more capacity than your broadband connection. You may notice increased latency if gaming, a few ms at most.

Having been burned by BT special offers before .... their support is catastrophic, and months they will refuse to believe they ever sold those devices.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 28-12-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

To be honest, it's probably not justified. I was wondering about it as an alternative to what I really would like to do - which is either re-site the main BT socket, or get an extension from it.

This would maximise speed at my main computer, but also remove the need to have the router (and the main phone for that matter) where they currently are, which is in an awkward location in the dining room.

Any ideas how much about it costs for either of those jobs? Do you have to get BT to do it because it's their equipment?

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
The main advantage of mesh is that there should be no bottlenecks.

The network should route data to/from your device through the Wifi Mesh network.

So theoretically if offspring are streaming videos it shouldn't interfere with your
Call Of Duty session.

I think there's some beamforming tech in there too to make better use of available channels.

That said, if I owned my house I'd cable a proper network.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
BT own the socket in the wall, and the device that is your broadband “hub”. That’s all.

On the back of your hub there should be 4 sockets - mine are yellow. These are copper “cat5” network sockets. Network cables are thin, flexible, and can usually be hidden easily. If you can run a cable from your hub to some other location in the house, you can put an access point there. For example, if the hub is in the kitchen, you might be able to get the cable through to the other side of a solid wall and site the point there, which will make a huge difference to reception.

Pikey IT approach - give the new AP the same ID and password as the hub, so devices can migrate automatically. It will work, time critical stuff won’t work - e.g. wandering around the house while making a Skype call.

Proper approach - get 2 APs with hand over features, site one near the hub, the other as far away as possible, have them both set up with the same SSID and password, and disable the BT WiFi. This will be perfect - when you switch AP, there will be almost zero drop out.

With APs, you get what you pay for. Consumer grade stuff is generally pretty awful. All of the problems I have had in the past with connections have been solved by the new APs I’ve put in. Yes, they’re £120 a pop, but worth it. They do PoE as well, so you don’t need to find a mains socket where you want to put them, just the network cable.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

We got a 2nd xbox One for Danny...not that he needed it...his brother has one upstairs...but no matter....we thought that the wifi would be poor in his room cos his brother has a 40ft wired connection....Danny is just WiFi....bought an extender....didn't need it...we have 2 wifis...2.4 or 5.0 ghz....the 5.0ghz was giving him 70mb.
The extender is going back to Amazon...have to admit i am quite surprised at how good the 5.0 is

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
mesh , wifi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page