Slow laptop help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

4Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 25-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Slow laptop help

About a year ago I decided to treat myself to a laptop PC, both for when travelling and to use MultiECUscan on the car.

The one I bought was a Toshiba L-50-C20G with Intel Core I3-5005 2.0Ghz Processor. Not an expensive laptop by any means, but I was expecting it to be fit for purpose.

The problem is that it has been very slow from day one, and I have never really been able to sort it out.

Booting up in the first instance takes ages, even after I have disabled most of the startup options, and once booted up it can take ages to load programs. Firefox is especially slow, it probably takes around 1 min to load after I click on the Icon.

I have tried loads of stuff to try and fix this including a full factory reset but it is still very slow.

My Desktop (Dell) in comparison is much faster despiote being a bottom of the range PC with an inferior processor.

I have a feeling that the issues could be caused by the built in Toshiba software which is attached to Windows, but I have no idea how to get rid of it to try it without.

Are there any experts here with some suggestions that I could try other than selling it and buying something else?

Many thanks

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Notts-
Garage
Not an expert by any means can only talk from experience. All devices slow down thinking them as disposal
AO Member

County: -Armagh

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

You could try a completely clean Windoze install but you might want to try bunging some more RAM in it. According to Toshiba's websites, yours comes with 4 gigs and there's an empty slot. Buy another 4 and shove it in. Memory is dirt cheap these days.
(Post Link) post #4 of 31 Old 25-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I apreciate that, but it has been like it since new and has hardly been used. My 5 year old Dell desktop is like a rocket in comparison.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

There are standard things that can be done within Windows to clean up the system.

However, the fundamental issue may be the hard drive. It looks like it may be quite slow. The spec sheet appears to list an old style hard disk that spins at 5400 rpm.

In comparison most standard desktop hard drives will spin at 7200 rpm. This means that even a cheap desktop will out perform a laptop with a 5400 hard disk as it can find and read data faster and a spinning disk is the slowest component. Disk reads are what’s done the most when loading applications and booting up.

4gb memory should be fine for most users who just do a bit of email and surfing. I haven’t bought any for a while, but all my PCs have SSD disks, solid state drives, which replace the hard disks with ones that use memory and have no moving parts. I’ve upgraded my fathers laptop which had a 5400 rpm disk with an SSD and the difference is amazing when booting up and loading applications.

Even when he bought a new laptop, I transferred the SSD to his new one and it made a heck of a difference as he’d bought a cheap one with a spinning disk.
symon likes this.

Last edited by stuart1714; 25-11-17 at 19:32.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
+1 for "Bang some more memory in it."

https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ra...lite/l50-c-20g
symon likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

I'm wondering how much your processor is doing. Have a look at resource monitor. Right click your bottom bar and open task manager. click on the performance tab. Then open Firefox. See how hard your cpu and RAM are working.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
+1 for "Bang some more memory in it."

https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ra...lite/l50-c-20g
If you look at the link and click on the ssd upgrade tab instead of memory, you will see it says “improves boot up time and loading applications” which is where the issues appear to be.

The performance gains by adding memory will be seen more when swapping between open applications as it can keep all the applications open in memory with more and reduces the disk caching to the slowest component on the system.

If you are low on memory, then the system can move some parts of applications to a temporary file on the hard disk rather than memory, this is disk caching, and excessive disk caching can cause PCs to run slow and shorten the life of spinning hard drives as it’s reading data from the slow drive instead of fast memory.

Last edited by stuart1714; 25-11-17 at 19:38.
(Post Link) post #9 of 31 Old 26-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Thanks for the help everyone.

I will look into an SSD drive and extra memory. But half of me thinks that selling the thing and buying a better one would be a more worthwhile option in the long run.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Brera S

Is it just as slow when plugged in to the mains? Most laptops run slower on battery to save power. If long battery life isn't an issue you should be able to disable it in the BIOS

Firefox has just had a total re-write to speed up its load time

Installing an SSD will improve matters more than an additional 4GB of RAM. But unless you've a Windoze install disc, invest in a USB/SATA device to copy your existing drive (and ensure that it can cope with SSDs - not all of them can).

Assuming that you're running Windoze 10, run task manager. On the Performance tab there is an option to "Open Resource Monitor". This gives more information on what is running and the resources used.

Other useful [free] tools are Spybot, CCleaner and Speccy. Spybot looks for spyware, CCleaner clears out redundant files and cleans the registry, Speccy gives an inventory of your machine - useful if you're going to reinstall Windoze.

Also, check for updates - both to Windoze and device drivers

Finally, what anti-virus do you have? Norton/Symantec can cripple a low power machine or if you have both an anti-virus program and Windoze Defender running they can argue with each other.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Are you sure it really has an i3 in there? Assuming it's running Windows 10, type "about" into the Cortana search and check.

Edit: How much RAM while you're there.

Last edited by Paddy OPlastic; 26-11-17 at 18:51.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Intel's naming/marketing is arcane. You have to dig into what cores you actually get in them.

Having not gone PC shopping in a while I was surprised to see they's resurrected celeron & pentium.
(Post Link) post #13 of 31 Old 26-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Is it just as slow when plugged in to the mains? Most laptops run slower on battery to save power. If long battery life isn't an issue you should be able to disable it in the BIOS

Firefox has just had a total re-write to speed up its load time

Installing an SSD will improve matters more than an additional 4GB of RAM. But unless you've a Windoze install disc, invest in a USB/SATA device to copy your existing drive (and ensure that it can cope with SSDs - not all of them can).

Assuming that you're running Windoze 10, run task manager. On the Performance tab there is an option to "Open Resource Monitor". This gives more information on what is running and the resources used.

Other useful [free] tools are Spybot, CCleaner and Speccy. Spybot looks for spyware, CCleaner clears out redundant files and cleans the registry, Speccy gives an inventory of your machine - useful if you're going to reinstall Windoze.

Also, check for updates - both to Windoze and device drivers

Finally, what anti-virus do you have? Norton/Symantec can cripple a low power machine or if you have both an anti-virus program and Windoze Defender running they can argue with each other.

It runs slow powered by mains and powered by battery. I have checked the resource monitor and nothing really seems to be using up many resources. I have Avast Anti-virus and spybot, and both are used regularly.

Firefox is a bit better since I got the new version the other day, but it still can take an age to load.

I still think the actual Toshiba crap that is on the machine is the problem. It keeps flagging up alerts saying it needs to update and when I click on them to allow it to happen the computer locks up for ages.

i will have a look to see if the windows defender is arguing with Avast by disabling one of them...
(Post Link) post #14 of 31 Old 26-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Are you sure it really has an i3 in there? Assuming it's running Windows 10, type "about" into the Cortana search and check.

Edit: How much RAM while you're there.
It has an I3, 2050MHz I think, with 4MB Ram.

Should be reasonably ok for normal tasks I would have thought?

Not even sure how to add more Ram to it, the only cover that comes of of the bottom is for the battery.
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
It has an I3, 2050MHz I think, with 4MB Ram.

Should be reasonably ok for normal tasks I would have thought?

Not even sure how to add more Ram to it, the only cover that comes of of the bottom is for the battery.
Inside Toshiba Satellite L50-C ? disassembly, internal photos and upgrade options
(Post Link) post #16 of 31 Old 26-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

This looks to be the processor.

https://ark.intel.com/products/84695
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S

You've got a 5th generation i3 in there. It's one of the slower processors, but it should be fine for word, internet browsing and basic tasks, so it seems likely that something is slowing you down.

If you look at the list of apps (Settings/Apps and features) and see which are from Toshiba. If in doubt, try Googling them before uninstalling

Does it speed up after a while or if wi-fi is turned off? I've known machines crawl because they want to download updates as soon as they are turned on
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

Quote:
You've got a 5th generation i3 in there. It's one of the slower processors, but it should be fine for word, internet browsing and basic tasks, so it seems likely that something is slowing you down.

If you look at the list of apps (Settings/Apps and features) and see which are from Toshiba. If in doubt, try Googling them before uninstalling

Does it speed up after a while or if wi-fi is turned off? I've known machines crawl because they want to download updates as soon as they are turned on
Good luck uninstalling the bloatware without a clean W$ install.
(Post Link) post #19 of 31 Old 27-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebreaux View Post
Good luck uninstalling the bloatware without a clean W$ install.
How would I go about doing a complete windows reinstall? I have no discs or anything.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S

You should be able to download windows from the microsoft website and either burn it to a DVD or a USB memory stick (you'll probably need at least 8GB).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

If the windoze licence isn't on a sticker underneath, download and run Jellybean, which will give you your 25 character licence code.

Look up your laptop on the Toshiba website and download device drivers. (download and run Speccy first for a list of hardware - it will also give the windoze licence code)

This is one of those jobs which takes time, but much of it is waiting around so can be done while watching TV or doing something else.
symon likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Garage
laptops are often full of bloatware junk when you first get them. The right thing to do really is a clean windows install without all of that.

At startup there will be lots of extra processes kicking off at the moment that probably are not needed, using up all of your system resources. That being said though, with Windows 10, you can get very slow performance especially after startup while it tries to get updates. You would see your disk usage sitting at 100% in task manager though.
symon likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S

If anyone's looking for a cheap laptop try here:

Refurbished laptops - Buy a Cheap Second Hand Laptop

They're secondhand but seem bargains, especially as you can have most of them with a 3 year warranty.
(Post Link) post #23 of 31 Old 11-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I have disabled as much bloatware as I can, and done a couple of large updates and it is running much better now.

I no longer feel the urge to throw it out of the window each time I try to use it.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
If anyone's looking for a cheap laptop try here:

Refurbished laptops - Buy a Cheap Second Hand Laptop

They're secondhand but seem bargains, especially as you can have most of them with a 3 year warranty.
That looks a bit too cheap to be true...

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-we...shoppinges.com
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
That looks a bit too cheap to be true...

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-we...shoppinges.com
Thanks

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
laptop , slow

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page