Telly aerial connectors - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGrimJeeper
  • 1 Post By User Unknown

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 27-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Telly aerial connectors

The Younger Mrs S. and myself are moving in to a new house in The Land that Time Forgot (aye, Wales! There's lovely it is.. ) and I noticed that there is a satellite dish on the front with cables to the kitchen and the living room.

The cables are twin-cables (joined together) and each one has a metal screw cap on the end.

What are these called and will they fit my telly?

My old telly is expired so the new telly hasn't arrived yet (hence I can't just look on the back and answer the questione myself.. ) but my old setup was a dish with a DIN cable stuck into to Freeview box (TV didn't have a DIN socket) which was then connected (HDMI I think...? ) to the TV.

The new telly obviously has built in Freeview so I don't need the box... but I dunno what those twin metal connectors do (or how to connect my telly to them if it hasn't got twin-metal nozzles to receive them).

How's it all work?

I won't have Sky or Virgins at my house.. just a dish to connect to the telly, then take it from there). Someone at work thinks the cables are for a Sky/Virgin receiver... If so, can I just replace the twin-cable/metal connectors with a different cable that fits the telly?

Ta'

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
F-type connectors.

They are more like screw clamp than actual
connectors which insert the co-ax conductor
directly into the receiver to try and reduce signal
reflections back down the cable.

Old style dish LNBs needed 2 or 3 cables
But modern ones only need one.

Satellite & TV cables have different impedance. 75 vs 50 ohms.
This can cause issues if they do not match.

Does your TV have satellite Freeview or terrestrial ?
Ralf S. likes this.

Last edited by TheGrimJeeper; 27-04-17 at 09:19.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
If you have Freesat on your new T.V. then you may be able to use the cables as they are. If not, a Freesat box could well use one or both.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
...there is a satellite dish on the front with cables to the kitchen and the living room.

The cables are twin-cables (joined together) and each one has a metal screw cap on the end.

What are these called and will they fit my telly?

...my old setup was a dish with a DIN cable stuck into to Freeview box (TV didn't have a DIN socket) which was then connected (HDMI I think...? ) to the TV.

The new telly obviously has built in Freeview so I don't need the box... but I dunno what those twin metal connectors do (or how to connect my telly to them if it hasn't got twin-metal nozzles to receive them).

How's it all work?

Ralf S.
I'm confused by 'twin cables, joined together'. If you remove the metal caps, is the cable beneath coax (co-axial)? ie, beneath the outer plastic casing, does it look like aerial cable with copper mesh/foil round the outside and a central solid copper core? And have you traced these cables back, do they go all the way back to the Dish, continuously? If the answer to these questions is 'yes' then I think they should be good to go, straight into a satellite receiver.

Re: your previous installation, if you had a Dish feeding into a box, it wouldn't have been Freeview, it would've been Freesat (same kind of thing, but for satellite rather than aerial).

Finally, regarding your new telly, check whether it has in-built Freeview of Freesat (some even have both). Unless it has Freesat, you'll need a standalone Freesat receiver and then link that to your telly with an HDMI cable.

Or if the telly's Freeview and already ordered and can't be changed, you could always put up an aerial, provided you have a Freeview signal where the house is.
AO Platinum Member

I think the cable is from an old install with
the old LNBs/Tuners with a mechanical polariser system.

The tuners used to use twin core: one for the
IF from the LNB and the other was an
analogue voltage from the tuner to set V & H polarisation.
AO Platinum Member

This book is still THE bible for sat TV:

https://books.google.fr/books?id=bZG...arizer&f=false
(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 02-05-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Yes, the old TV had Freesat, not Freeview The dish plugged in to a box and the box was plugged in to the telly.

The new telly has a regular DIN socket on the back and is Freeview capable.. so it sounds like I need to upgrade to an aerial (I'd like to connect the telly directly to the "receiver" and lose the Freesat box.. just one extra step of complication).

I presume the cables are scrap too (saves drilling another hole in the walls if I can use/adapt the existing cable)?

Ta.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 02-05-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I've seen a satellite receiver box with two F-connectors on the back... one is marked "LNB IN 13/18V" and the other is marked "LOOP".

Other receiver boxes seem to have just one F-connector (the "LNB IN 13/18V" ). Are my twin wires out of date (needing a single cable) or would a twin-port box take the "LOOP" cable and make the magic happen?

Ralf S.
AO Member

I'm not all that familiar with Satellite installations so had a quick search of 'twin-lead' systems. They seem to be old-fashioned and prone to interference when compared with modern single-lead coax/F-connector systems (which I'm more familiar with).

So the satellite dish and cabling in your new house seems quite out of date and your new TV is in any case Freeview, not Freesat. Unless you have Freeview reception problems in your new location I'd just bite the bullet and get a nice new aerial put up, job done.

If for whatever reason you want to stay with Freesat then I'd install a new dish and ('single') cabling and get a Freesat box which you can then feed into your TV via HDMI cable.

As for the 'loop' socket on a Freesat box, that's not a 2nd input, it's a means to run a 2nd satellite receiver box elsewhere in the house: so for example, you'd have the single, new 'coax' type cable from your new dish coming into the house and into the 'LNB input' socket of the main box, and then you could have a cable from that box (coming out of the 'loop' socket) travelling to a 2nd satellite receiver box to feed a telly elsewhere in the house.
Ralf S. likes this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 17 Old 04-05-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Ah .. magnifico. That explains everything, thanks very much.

It sounds like my dish is out of date (house was built in 2008 and the dish is probably / looks the same age). I was hoping for some way to keep the dish and wiring (hence thinking about adopting a Freesat box) just for convenience... but an aerial, with its direct-to-telly Freeview option is the "cleaner" option to me (less faffing about with additional boxes, remote controls etc.) if I was starting from scratch.

I'll call an aerial fella and see what he can do. I do see aerials in the 'hood.. so Freeview should be a goer where I am.

Thanks again.

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

There's nothing wrong with the wiring or dish Ralf. It'll all work just fine with receivers with dual inputs.
(Post Link) post #12 of 17 Old 09-05-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Final solution for the time being was to stick an aerial in the loft, with an amplifier.. connected to the input doodah for the built-in TV sockets. The telly is plugged in to one of the sockets and works fine, although Freeview does not seem to be as groovy as Freesat (still, it saves the additional control box and I'll get used to it).

I've left the dish in place for now. It looks like Sky according to the aerial guy.. but I think the twin cable might only have existed in text books when he was a lad..

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Final solution for the time being was to stick an aerial in the loft, with an amplifier.. connected to the input doodah for the built-in TV sockets. The telly is plugged in to one of the sockets and works fine, although Freeview does not seem to be as groovy as Freesat (still, it saves the additional control box and I'll get used to it).
Why did you go to that expense when you could have got a Freesat box and plugged it in yourself?

Quote:
I've left the dish in place for now. It looks like Sky according to the aerial guy.. but I think the twin cable might only have existed in text books when he was a lad..
Twin tuner satellite receivers haven't been around that long. I'm pretty certain it wasn't an option when we moved here less than 10 years ago.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

You should charge the Essex lycrist for crap advice.
AO Member

Alternatively, Paddy O'Troll could shut his big fat vindictive mouth.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Poke.
AO Member

Of course Paddy, what's particularly pathetic on your part is that Ralf's opening post had already been up for a few days, you only chose to say anything after I'd seen it and commented, merely as a means to have a 'poke' as you so eloquently put it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
aerial , connectors , telly

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page