I like to think that I'm pretty clued up when it comes to this sort of thing; I always check the addressee (is it me personally, or just my email address, etc), the hyperlink address and the spelling of the text body. So far, I've managed to see them from a mile off.
However, tonight got a little bit sinister.
Yesterday was my son's birthday and his Virgin mobile phone was due for renewal. I spoke to 2 different reps, both very helpful, and my lad received his new phone and free tablet today.
This was all great until tonight, when I received an email from Virgin Media. It advised me that there was a processing error and that my account would be locked if I did not click on the link.
I admit to being a bit confused, tired and slightly off-guard, so I didn't go through my usual checks.
Thankfully, Chrome advised me that the link was to a dodgy site so I closed the tab and went back to the email.
All the phishing hallmarks were there: It was addressed to my email address, not me personally; the hyperlink was to some unknown dodgy site; the email text body didn't once mention any account or phone number ( I have 4 with them )
The worrying fact is that is that up until now, the only phishing emails I'd received were either from Paypal, or random banks, where I had no account.
Whereas this one seems particularly targeted.
I don't want to cast aspersions, but it plays on the mind that offshore reps are paid little and have access to a ****-ton of customer details.