Phishing emails - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By TonyGr
  • 1 Post By stuart1714
  • 1 Post By TheGrimJeeper
  • 1 Post By stuart1714
  • 1 Post By Dave Brand
  • 1 Post By Dribbly

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 20-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Phishing emails

I like to think that I'm pretty clued up when it comes to this sort of thing; I always check the addressee (is it me personally, or just my email address, etc), the hyperlink address and the spelling of the text body. So far, I've managed to see them from a mile off.

However, tonight got a little bit sinister.

Yesterday was my son's birthday and his Virgin mobile phone was due for renewal. I spoke to 2 different reps, both very helpful, and my lad received his new phone and free tablet today.

This was all great until tonight, when I received an email from Virgin Media. It advised me that there was a processing error and that my account would be locked if I did not click on the link.

I admit to being a bit confused, tired and slightly off-guard, so I didn't go through my usual checks.

Thankfully, Chrome advised me that the link was to a dodgy site so I closed the tab and went back to the email.

All the phishing hallmarks were there: It was addressed to my email address, not me personally; the hyperlink was to some unknown dodgy site; the email text body didn't once mention any account or phone number ( I have 4 with them )

The worrying fact is that is that up until now, the only phishing emails I'd received were either from Paypal, or random banks, where I had no account.

Whereas this one seems particularly targeted.

I don't want to cast aspersions, but it plays on the mind that offshore reps are paid little and have access to a ****-ton of customer details.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
I think Virgin, in common with most other companies, have had significant phishing problems. Certainly their website has information and I found this
Quote:
Sometimes you may get emails claiming to come from Virgin Media that are actually phishing attempts. We publish known phishing emails sent to our email customers that claim to be from us at our Netreport site
This is the link to the Netreport site which didn't copy over in the above quote
NetReport - Virgin Media

I hope this helps
stan laurel likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

I had that email as well. When people send out these emails it's easy to target Virgin users as they target domain names e.g. [email protected] and [email protected]

Anybody with an email address ending blueyonder.co.uk is a Virgin user, but not necessarily the main account holder.

If in doubt, call the company and don't click on a link.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
What stuart1714 said.

I just assume all such mails are scams now.

Many financial institutions here no longer use email, just
a closed messaging system within your account page
once you've logged in. You just get an email saying
you have a message.

Good system.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

I had another one earlier today asking me to check my used minutes on my Virgin mobile.

Although I have nearly every service available from Virgin, I don't actually have a mobile with them.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
I've had one this morning allegedly from a bank which I do have accounts with, asking me to update my card reader by following a link to what appears to be an estate agent in Belgium!

Apart from the usual obvious giveaways - "Dear customer", very dubious email address, etc., the thing that amused me was that it purported to come from "Steve Rubenstein, Category director, everyday banking". I don't know who this Steve Rubenstein is, but he's a very busy man - he's emailed me from at least five different banks! Not very clever, are they?
stan laurel likes this.
Dribbly

There was a story on Jeremy Vine where the scammers get your email then send out emails to your contacts pretending to be someone you know in need of help in the way of money , It happened the to the resident doctor who had her email hacked and they were sending emails from her account saying she was abroad (which at the time she was) and had been robbed and needed money wiring to her so she could get home ect ect , By all accounts they're quite believable with good english and have taken thousands from vunerable people.
I've had Phishing txts while selling on gumtree so now on my email and selling websites i use a different first name so if i get a email/txt from say Paypal saying my account has been hacked and to login using 'the link' i know its false and nonscense
stan laurel likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
emails , phishing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page