Domestic printer suggestions - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

8Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 02-10-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Help Domestic printer suggestions

Daughter started sixth form - the Epson we've had for a few years is pretty unreliable by now.

So.....looking for the following features:
-colour
-wireless & usb
-print both sides
-printer tray (rather than standing paper in the back of the thing)
-reasonably cheap inks

that's about it

Any suggestions to help me through the minefield gratefully received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: United Kingdom
Domestic printer suggestions

Epson XP820 for me. Had it a year and no issues. It's colour, wireless, usb, prints both sides, has a paper tray, and ink reasonably cheap :-) Great for photos too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
After much uumming and arrring and wasting money on colour HP ink cartridges that
get blocked/go dry and budget ink cartidges that don't work.
I binned the portable HP inkjet printer I'd been using for years and decided to go the B/W laser printer route.

I still have a canon photocard printer and the big colour printer at work if I need colour.
(Same for a student, no?)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ricoh-213w-...dp/B01K7RY1NC/

When the cartidge runs out I plan to bin the printer and get another one.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I'll be going down the route of laser I suspect as I rarely print in colour so may stretch to colour laser if I do... Mind you, I've only ever bought HP (they were monster printers in the 80's/90's and early noughties... But then I've been "happy" enough paying higher prices for cartridges because I've not gone through many - my first was the HP 5L, my "current" is an old 5550C that the cartridges will have dried up in as it's not been used in over 10(?) years... I rarely print these days and use the library if I need something that desperately... or the parents/in-laws!
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
WOT TT4N said ^^^. Get a 50 Brother laser as the majority of stuff will be B&W and the per page cost is 10% of faffy, rubbish, unreliable ink cartridges. Get a cheap InkJet for the odd page that needs colour and you will be less concerned about the cost of cartridges as you will use fewer
TheGrimJeeper likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

As above, B&W laser, mines a Staples manager special "Samsung", served me well even after being in storage for several years.

Mrs. V does colour at work if required.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Small cheap Samsung laser black and white is my friend and companion, and I'd take it to a desert island.

My daughter has a an Epson matching your spec, Elvis, and when it's on form it produces fabulous colour prints. However, if you don't use all colours frequently, the pinholes in the heads clog up. On the other hand, if you use it too often, the pinholes in the heads clog up.

On most inkjet printer makes, the print head is in the cartridge so you get a clean new one every time you change a cartridge. This is obviously wasteful, so Epson have fixed heads which are theoretically not user serviceable. When ours blocked, Epson helpfully offered to sell us a new printer. In the spirit of the DiY thread, I managed to clean them using isopropyl alcohol injected from a syringe via model aircraft fuel hosing, wiping the heads from underneath with pieces of photo paper bearing blobs of alcohol.

What also happens is that eventually the surplus ink reservoir fills up. This turns out to be a sponge which can't be accessed without dismantling the printer. If you dismantle and reassemble, you need factory software to reset the head alignment...

I really like my Samsung laser printer though.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Laser all the way if she is going to be doing any volume. Colour lasers are more expensive than colour inkjets, but after the second cartridge change, you're probably winning. They are also more likely to still be working after the summer holidays. You need an inkjet for decent photo printing.

Double sided is overrated. Paper is cheap, cheaper and more reliable than paper handling systems in bottom of the range printers.

Avoid anything made by HP.

I've had a fair amount of success with Canon over the last few years.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Canon Pixma range here. Easy to use and reliable and cheap to buy initially. Ink quite expensive though. I dabbled with non Canon cartridges and they were rubbish and waste of money.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
I've got a Samsung colour laser (CLP 365).

No idea how much it cost to be honest as I purchased it out here back when I couldn't do the exchange rate so well so was probably horribly excessive with it.

Had it 2+ years now and been pretty trouble free. I think I've changed the 4 colour laser cartridges once - and I think they were expensive too...... can't recall.

Anyway - we end up printing everything B+W anyway so would go with a B+W laser next time and wouldn't bother with a colour laser again.
AO Platinum Member

Read the first half of Mr Dibnah's review and was a bit concerned, thought I would have to remind you that when he bought a microwave he spent a grand but he came good in the end
steveisfrowning likes this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 29 Old 05-10-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
No further forward. :bash:
AO Platinum Member

Jeeze go on Amazon and get a Brother, Ricoh or Samsung B&W Laser printer inc ink
and a pack of A4 and stop your faffery.
(Post Link) post #14 of 29 Old 05-10-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
So.....looking for the following features:
-colour she says yes
-wireless & usb
-printer tray (rather than standing paper in the back of the thing)
-reasonably cheap inks

revised spec
AO Platinum Member

What's the wireless for?
Just additional set-up, that can be a PitA, and expense.
Long USB cable. Job jobbed.
AO Platinum Member

Any true mingebag would discourage colour printing by default. Likewise wireless is too easy to fire off summat to print. Having to connect your device before printing focuses the mind on what has been typed to review it first, so less wasted prints
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

I've had a Dell C1760nw for 2 years now, it's a colour laser and I think it's really good. I got it because not doing such a lot of printing nowadays I was sick of cartridges drying up or running out just when when you need them.

It only cost 80ish (special offer price - but I've seen them again at similar prices since). Best of all the toner cartridges (should I ever need any) are available from all of the "compatible" suppliers so are really cheap. It's wireless and/or usb. Easy to set up and found by all devices in the household (windows, linux, android). Doesn't have mechanical duplex but all printers, so far as I know, will print on both sides of the paper - you just need to turn the paper over - if you tell the printer software that's what you want it will print alternate pages then stop and tell you when and how to reload the sheets and then do the other sides. I've done booklets and leaflets this way too.

The paper feed is underneath the printer and will hold 50 sheets, the output sits nicely on the top of the printer when it comes out (it doesn't fly round the room like some I've had). When not in use the paper tray folds flat and clicks shut against the front of the printer and it becomes a smooth black box, about the size of a bread bin. Mine lives pretty unobtrusively under my desk but I suppose it could go anywhere in the house where there's a power point.

I really haven't found anything I dislike about it - much nicer text than any inkjet I've had - and I think the photo quality is at least as good too. REALLY low cost, high quality and high speed printing.
AO Platinum Member

That's a good point about compatible cartridges on lasers.

It's just toner. There's not special ink formula or proprietary
jet technology so compatibles are more likely to work well.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Canon pixma MX720 in use here.
Reliable, affordable great quality, wifi, ethernet, duplex and two trays plus a very good scanner to boot.
AB Cartridges round the corner do very good compatible cartridges by post and they will replace if there are any issues.
Win - Win
(Post Link) post #20 of 29 Old 06-10-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Thanks for the advice all. I went in a different direction based on the information provided and bought a
Brother HL3140CW Colour Laser Printer and a spare set of compatible toners for 136 delivered. Lots of good reviews.

It's wireless, but apparently (if you don't read the 'structions) it can be a bit fiddly to set-up......so I just might not.

Fingers crossed. And thanks to everyone who provided advice. :tum:

(I don't think it's an actual laser - it's LED tech that fixes the image......)
AO Platinum Member

LED ones are a bit more pricey but are meant to be very good.

The only thing that changes compared to regular laser printers
is how the image is exposed onto the transfer drum.

Read the US blurb and you can set it up to automatically order toner for you in the US.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

As it happens, after another inkjet failure (and wasting about 50 of ink trying to clear the blocked nozzles ) I just made the choice to go for a laser printer.

And I bought the Brother HL3150CDW colour printer. I think the only difference from yours SiF is that it has duplex printing.

I did this having read some articles (such as this example):
Technofile: Brother color laser printer produces photos indistinguishable from inkjet | syracuse.com

Suggesting that you can actually get a pretty decent quality photo from them if you use the right paper and settings. I have to say, not having any laser glossy paper yet (don't use inkjet glossy - it will melt and FUBAR your printer) I tried out printing a photo to standard paper - and it's not bad at all. I'd say it's as good a result as you'd get using an inkjet onto normal paper.

I'll report back again once I've tried with photo paper. But if the results aren't perfect, I'll just use a shop when we need the best quality. The advantage of not blocking all the time because we don't use it enough is a strong one.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Oh and SiF - it was a matter of a couple of button presses to set up the wireless connection.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Here you go. The picture itself, and then a picture of the printed page of the picture.

Printed direct from my phone. And the phone camera has really accentuated the flaws there are (a bit of banding, and colours a tiny bit washed out). I'm looking forward to seeing what it achieves with the right paper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wedding 018.jpg (303.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1837(1).jpg (279.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by bazza; 09-10-16 at 17:10.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Man, I hate the inability of this forum to use the alignment information from the photo that everything else successfully does.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
domestic , printer , suggestions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page