Elearn format manual - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Turre

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 07-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Somerset
Garage
Elearn format manual

Ok Guy's, I seem to be up the creek without my paddle at the moment, I purchased a Manual for my Brera on CD, very nice it is too except for the "Elearn" format which is of no use to me. Firstly I have never heard of this format and secondly I use Linux so cannot run the CD or install the reader for this CD. So what I need is enough info to install some sort of reader for these strange files so I can look after my car. I have tried running the installer under "Wine" but that does not work, it comes up with "runtime errors" and locks the computer making a reboot the only action open to me. It's a real pain in the backside but having said that I have not had a "crash" or "reinstall" for about five years using this Linux system and most problems have eventually been overcome.
Any guru's out there who can guide me through the minefield I fear this may become?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Finland
Greetings from another Linux user.

After many, many fruitless attempts at getting eLearn 156 to work under Wine, I gave up and started working on reverse-engineering the thing to create an open-source web-based viewer for the content: https://gitlab.com/pmatilai/alfix

The project is very much work-in-progress still and missing some important features like searching but usable enough that I haven't needed to resort to Windows in a good while. And actually being fully web-based opens some cool new possibilities the original eLearn cannot do, such as bookmarking and browsing the contents with a tablet right there in the garage, under the car or whatever. Here's an example screenshot from Firefox on my Fedora laptop: http://laiskiainen.org/pic/alfix-screenshot-111216.png

Mind you I have no idea whether Alfix currently works for anything else than Alfa 156 eLearn. In theory it should, but you never really know until you try. If you end up trying it, please let me know either way - fixing it to work with other eLearn CD's should not be hard.
Dave2405 likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 12-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Somerset
Garage
Thanks for the info Panu, I will give this a go after Christmas, it will be a real test as I am not used to the command line and if I manage to get things working it will be a good sign for other users that this is a really useful tool. I just hope I finally manage to get the wiring diagrams to sort out my problems. I will be running it on 64bit Zorin Os, fingers crossed...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
elearn , format , manual

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page