.zepto ransomware virus - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By alfabeat

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 06-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Madness .zepto ransomware virus

Now I am very careful with virus protection on my computer, with paid for, up to date virus protection software, always back up every evening, and just bin anything suspicious on email.

So I received an email addressed to me the other day, which unfortunately I opened and clicked on the attachment. Within a minute every single .doc and .xls file on my computer (and there are thousands of them as it is my work computer), turned into an un-openable file with .zepto extension. PANIC!!!

Avast anti virus didn't pick anything up, despite the email being scanned. Subsequently I have tried various anti malware programmes, non of which have picked anything suspicious up.

A google of the .zepto files, points to ransom ware, but I haven't received a ransom...

SO... I have bought a new laptop and started again, as I just can't trust the old one.

I have restored most of my files from JustCloud :: Online Backup, Computer Backup and PC Backup for Home and Business from JustCloud (my backup software) which took over 48 hours thanks to our crap internet speed. The images were untouched, so I copied them off the infected laptop onto an external hard drive and will copy them onto the new laptop.

Now the problem (one of the many) I have is that I can't open any of the images. It just comes us with a dialogue box, stating: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item. I am worried to copy them to my new laptop as I think they make also be corrupted in some way.

So, my questions....

1). If I copy the images to my new laptop do you think I will be able to open them and do you think they could damage my new laptop? Can images be infected?

2). Can anyone recommend some software to try and find the virus on my infected laptop?

3). Anyone know of a hit squad in Nigeria (where it is indicated that this virus originated from) that will track down the lovely people who did this and remove them from this planet.

4). Does anyone here work for BT, who gives a damn about customer service and giving me a decent/reliable internet connection?

Thanks...

Silver 156 GTA SW, Q2, Koni FSD's, Eibach springs and anti-roll bars, CDA induction, re-map, Wizard/Pud exhaust - fantastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Can you use one of the online image tools to open a few random pics just to see what happens? That would be the first place I'd start.
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks for the response. I had another old laptop which i plugged into my external hard drive and opened the images fine no problem. I also ran my images folders through an antivirus (macafee) which picked nothing up. So, I have copied them all onto my new laptop and all is good. So I presume that the .zepto virus managed to alter my settings/permissions on the infected laptop sufficiently to stop me opening them.

So that problem is sorted. 3 days later and I am pretty much back up to speed....! I have now purchased Macafee anti virus software as Avast didn't seem to do the job.

Be careful out there!
TheGrimJeeper likes this.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Glad to hear you're back in action and everything has been restored. Having to go through something like that is such a pain. It's a good thing you've had a strong back-up procedure in place. A lot of people don't.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quite - I now back up twice daily! Just for info for people who don't have any back up software - JustCloud :: Online Backup, Computer Backup and PC Backup for Home and Business from JustCloud has worked for me in this instance perfectly. It isn't until you really need it that you know how good it is! A bit like insurance!
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
I stopped using anti-virus in 2000... and haven't had anything but some adware infections in all that time. so what's the use of anti-virus software anyway?
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Mailwasher and ZoneAlarm between them have kept me safe for years. I don't use anti-virus software. Mailwasher indicates links and the true URLs they point to and you can delete the offending e-mail before it gets to your computer. You can teach it to learn to delete spam automatically, and keep a blacklist and friends list. One piece of software I wouldn't be without. Not connected with it etc, Ts&Cs apply .
AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire
Garage
Can you use a sandbox app - such as Sandboxie - to open any dubious attachments, files, apps etc?
Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing

I am a Mac user - so I'm not very good on Windows..........
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Comodo Firewall comes with a built-in sandbox feature though I've rarely needed it.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Linux Mint is pretty unmolested in this respect.
AO Member

County: Dorset
I just don't understand why so many people use McAfee antivirus? It has missed so many outbreaks, it has so much bloat ware as part of its install. Try using ESET and you will never go back to anything else, I tested it on a group of computers for 2 months and none of them missed a dodgy email where the McAfee missed 2, as a result I built a new server for Eset and deployed it to over 1200 pc's in the business and have also cut down the work my team has to do. It also saved a lot of money out of the budget.

At home I use Acronis True Image to back up my pc's to a NAS drive (Network Attached Storage), which also backs up my Macs and acts as a media server. I have never lost a file yet and I dont have to wait hours to recover a computer. Plus I know where my data is all the time and who can access it, which is why I dont use Cloud storage as depending on the location of the server it is held on governs who can access it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
ransomware , virus , zepto

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page