GTV 916 Fuel Pump Unit Modification - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
GTV 916 Fuel Pump Unit Modification

Dear Alfa Fans

I am writing this bulletin on the community forum as I guess the in-tank fuel pump units are similar on a number of Alfa cars.

I have two 916 GTV's, a Phase 2 3.0 Lusso 48k miles in red with beige leather and a Phase 2 2.0 T-Spark 23k miles silver with red leather.

The 2.0 T Spark is a car I am recommissioning after it has been laid up for some years. I identified the fuel pump had seized.

I have seen different pumps available on Ebay, some for £25 new claiming to be a direct replacement. These are for the Phase 1 model though I think as the Phase 2 has an integrated fuel pump, pre and post filter and gauge in the same unit. On the Phase 1 the filter is under the car and the gauge sender is a seperate unit.

I have stripped my fuel pump apart and the main black cylinder containing the pump and filters is not serviceable, it is impossible to removed the pump from its plastic internal surround it seems.

I have decided to look at modifying the pump unit to contain a new pump and pre-filter inside the original external unit. I will have to fit an external post filter to do this although I am less concerned by this. I could fit an external pump and modify the original unit to just feature a pipe running to the bottom of the unit with a pre-filter, although I am not convinced this would be a good idea given that the pipe work exits the top of the tank and not the bottom.

So my plan is to modify the original external pump unit to take a new pump and pre-filter which would fit a Phase 1 car.

My question is please does anyone have any related experience to comment which could be of use? If it works I will have to foot the cost of a new Ebay pump at £25 instead of a new unit at abot £180, and I can't see the attraction of fitting a second hand unit.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Photo

Photo attached of original unit with pump filter cylinder removed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160822_112736[1].jpg (70.6 KB, 9 views)
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVblackandred View Post
Photo attached of original unit with pump filter cylinder removed
I managed to tap the old pump out of the cylinder from underneath although the cylinder may be no longer be useable due to slight inevitable damage from prising the top off. I may now be able to replace the pump alone - we shall see.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
916 , fuel , gtv , modification , pump , unit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page