Selling a Contract Mobile - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 28-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Selling a Contract Mobile

1. Sim only deal....7.50 Tesco Mobile 12 months

2. Pay monthly contract...phone and exactly same sim deal as above 7.50 Tesco Mobile for 24 months

Can i take the sim from option 2 put it in my old unlocked phone and sell the contract phone ??

Would work out a better deal for me ??

Am i being stupid,illegal,immoral ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Maybe or maybe not. The new phone could be sim locked (some are some are not - depends on the operator). You can sell the phone but you are still locked into the contract for the 24 month duration. You would need to make sure the phone is SIM unlocked before doing so. The operator is unlikely to provide the code while the contract is live. Legally they have to after the contract is complete.

There are/were some third parties unlocking phones. Some may work. Some may not. It is technically illegal and things can go wrong. It would be your risk.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Idiot.

Never argue with idiots. They will just bring your down to their level and beat you with superior experience.

Never make fun of a short idiot. It's not big and it's not clever.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 28-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th_Idiot View Post
Maybe or maybe not. The new phone could be sim locked (some are some are not - depends on the operator). You can sell the phone but you are still locked into the contract for the 24 month duration. You would need to make sure the phone is SIM unlocked before doing so. The operator is unlikely to provide the code while the contract is live. Legally they have to after the contract is complete.

There are/were some third parties unlocking phones. Some may work. Some may not. It is technically illegal and things can go wrong. It would be your risk.
What's the difference between sim locked and network locked?...i have unlocked a phone from Tesco Mobile a few months into a 24 month contract via eBay for 1...surely if i am still paying for the full term ie 24 months at 7.50 it is no harm to Tesco...they are still getting their full whack off me ??
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
If it's the same network, yes you can swap SIM.

There's no such thing as locking a phone
to a specific SIM. (That would make replacing SIMs
very difficult.)

The difference is if you sign up to
a contract, and want out before 24 month
they will carge you the remaining months.

I think.

Also technically the phone us not yours until
after 24 months. So selling it would be like
selling a lease car.

Last edited by TheGrimJeeper; 29-07-16 at 08:36.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 29-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Thanks folks...in the end went for the easy option...lovely girl in Tesco mobile sold me the 11 sim only option which has 2Gb of data which is the "be all and end all" for my son...but with their Tesco extra app option drops it to 8 per month

At the same time this app dropped my wife Anne's to 4.50 per month...result

Didn't bother with the phone selling option as i have had it up to the back teeth with mobiles...causes me nothing but stress....phone are for texting and calling.....internet is a curse !!

By the way...the other network i had swapped to was ID...the Carphone Network network....foook me it's coverage was woeful !!!

Ronan
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
Thanks folks...in the end went for the easy option...lovely girl in Tesco mobile sold me the 11 sim only option which has 2Gb of data which is the "be all and end all" for my son...but with their Tesco extra app option drops it to 8 per month

At the same time this app dropped my wife Anne's to 4.50 per month...result

Didn't bother with the phone selling option as i have had it up to the back teeth with mobiles...causes me nothing but stress....phone are for texting and calling.....internet is a curse !!

By the way...the other network i had swapped to was ID...the Carphone Network network....foook me it's coverage was woeful !!!
iD uses the 3 network... I know others who left them for their woeful coverage. With Tesco you get O2 who, in Ireland, are owned by... 3!
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 29-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
iD uses the 3 network... I know others who left them for their woeful coverage. With Tesco you get O2 who, in Ireland, are owned by... 3!
Yep...very Irish isn't it....but strangely enough 3 give good coverage in the Republic Of Ireland......N Ireland is a different kettle of fish......that damned Brexit again

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
contract , mobile , selling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page