What have you done to your Classic Alfa today? - Page 97 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1177Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Status: Just one more project!
AO Silver Member
 
SimonGTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 2,018
Garage
I swapped my rear springs just yesterday and yes there should be plenty of room. You don’t want to let the axle drop as this will be counter productive, support the axle on axle stands to keep it high and the trailing arms will drop down.

Anyway sounds like things are moving on and it’ll great to get it back on it’s wheels!
SimonGTV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Quo?
AO Silver Member
 
VeloceMitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 5,150

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Going frustratingly slowly so far today.
Not got the seat fitted yet, having to modify the mounting system as the fixings differ in position between the 2000 and the 1750.

Going to have to remake it for the permanent fitting I think, this version has got more holes than a second hand dartboard now!.
VeloceMitch is online now  
Status: supporting a bank near you
AO Silver Member
 
Top Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 4,919
Rebuilt the steering box yesterday and got on with refitting it today, this afternoon, as the morning was spent fitting gas struts to the hood of the wifes 946 Spider.
Top Down is offline  
Status: Make it so no. 1
AO Gold Member
 
Mr Dunamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lancashire
Posts: 6,229
Took the petrol tank out of the GT Jnr today, it was surprisingly easy, and then put it back. Preparation for a repair panel to be welded to the bottom of the rear wing.
73GTVJim likes this.
Mr Dunamis is offline  
Status: -
Club Member
Membro Medio
 
duemila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Landon Tan
Posts: 2,355
Garage
Gave the GTV a good 160 mile round trip with motorways and twisty country roads, is driving really nice, I'm getting some kind of noise from 5000 rpm and above, hard to describe and I don't know how I can explain it to my mechanic other than taking him for a spirited drive, but other than that can't wait for some more nice weather, killed a fair few flies also.
RobM likes this.
duemila is offline  
Status: Alfisti
AO Silver Member
 
Joe90GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gloucestershire
Posts: 3,156
When my mate sat in my spider the (passenger) seat moved and gave him quite a shock, I knew the runners were a bit u/s but didn't expect it to come off; anyhoo unbolted the seat this morning and the runners came apart so replaced the bearings (20 per seat) and made up some new spacers with some 6mm chrome bar I had lying around. All sorted, runs nice and smooth now, funny thing is when I went to put the seat back in I found one of the original spacers lying on the floor, bet they are hens teeth.
Had a brilliant run to Brightwells yesterday, managed 36mpg, new record for me and I wasn't hanging about
Top Down likes this.

Italian tune ups are an essential part of an Alfa Romeo maintenance shedule
Joe90GT is offline  
Status: Make it so no. 1
AO Gold Member
 
Mr Dunamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lancashire
Posts: 6,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90GT View Post
When my mate sat in my spider the (passenger) seat moved and gave him quite a shock, I knew the runners were a bit u/s but didn't expect it to come off; anyhoo unbolted the seat this morning and the runners came apart so replaced the bearings (20 per seat) and made up some new spacers with some 6mm chrome bar I had lying around. All sorted, runs nice and smooth now, funny thing is when I went to put the seat back in I found one of the original spacers lying on the floor, bet they are hens teeth.
Had a brilliant run to Brightwells yesterday, managed 36mpg, new record for me and I wasn't hanging about
It's amazing what is just lying around in the garage; that's probably why my garage is rammed with stuff that could be useful one day.

These cars never cease to amaze me. I regularly get around 36mpg and I think I don't hang around. But it makes me think just how hard they drove these cars, back in the day, when they were road tested and they managed an average of 22mpg. They must have absolutely thrashed them with an inch of their lives.
Mr Dunamis is offline  
Status: Alfisti
AO Silver Member
 
Joe90GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gloucestershire
Posts: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dunamis View Post
It's amazing what is just lying around in the garage; that's probably why my garage is rammed with stuff that could be useful one day.

These cars never cease to amaze me. I regularly get around 36mpg and I think I don't hang around. But it makes me think just how hard they drove these cars, back in the day, when they were road tested and they managed an average of 22mpg. They must have absolutely thrashed them with an inch of their lives.
My philosophy exactly, you never know; these were bits left over from when I dismantled our old kitchen units and they were just too bright and shiny to throw away..I was particularly pleased with the mpg as the same mate had a (petrol) Ford Kuga courtesy car which only managed 35mpg for some town work and mway cruise.
Joe90GT is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
raftopoua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Greece - UK
County: Peloponnesos - Birmingham
Posts: 82
Hi guys,

I am having back in Greece an Alfetta GT 1600cc 1978 model that was bought back in 2002by my father as a donor car for our 2000cc.
It was a very solid car and we were always feeling bad to break it so it stood there all these years.
The problem is that we cannot use it as we donít have any paperwork for it and the Greek DVLA is not registering it.
If we would ship it here in UK, would it be possible to get registered?

Thanks in advance guys, any opinion would be highly appreciated.

Alfa Sud 1.2
Alfa 33 1.4iel
Alfa 156 FL 1.8ts
Alfetta GTV
Alfa GT Veloce 1.8ts
Alfa 156 2.0ts
Alfa 159ti 2.0JDTm
raftopoua is offline  
Status: still detailing...
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
Membro Premio
 
RobM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 340
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftopoua View Post
Hi guys,

I am having back in Greece an Alfetta GT 1600cc 1978 model that was bought back in 2002by my father as a donor car for our 2000cc.
It was a very solid car and we were always feeling bad to break it so it stood there all these years.
The problem is that we cannot use it as we donít have any paperwork for it and the Greek DVLA is not registering it.
If we would ship it here in UK, would it be possible to get registered?

Thanks in advance guys, any opinion would be highly appreciated.
Yes, it should be entirely possible to get it registered in the UK. There's a specific process for doing so, which is set out in some detail here...
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

...and quite a helpful article here.

There are also companies that will (for a fee!) help you navigate your way through the admin and paperwork.
RobM is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
raftopoua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Greece - UK
County: Peloponnesos - Birmingham
Posts: 82
Thank you very much.
I 've ordered the v55/5 application from DVLA so as to take a better look on this subject!
raftopoua is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jordan
County: 'Amman
Posts: 33

Member car:

alfa spider

Well nothing today... But this being lazy Ramadan in Jordan, I've helped start daily "sunset drive" and am getting impressed by who's showing up. Tomorrow will we Bakiza's day out inshaAllah DSC_1105.jpgIMG-20190517-WA0034.jpgDSC_1530.jpg

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
sbadaro is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > The Classic Alfa Romeos

Tags
alfa , classic , today




Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome