What have you done to your Classic Alfa today? - Page 97 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1201Likes

AO Silver Member

Garage
I swapped my rear springs just yesterday and yes there should be plenty of room. You don’t want to let the axle drop as this will be counter productive, support the axle on axle stands to keep it high and the trailing arms will drop down.

Anyway sounds like things are moving on and it’ll great to get it back on it’s wheels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Going frustratingly slowly so far today.
Not got the seat fitted yet, having to modify the mounting system as the fixings differ in position between the 2000 and the 1750.

Going to have to remake it for the permanent fitting I think, this version has got more holes than a second hand dartboard now!.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Rebuilt the steering box yesterday and got on with refitting it today, this afternoon, as the morning was spent fitting gas struts to the hood of the wifes 946 Spider.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Took the petrol tank out of the GT Jnr today, it was surprisingly easy, and then put it back. Preparation for a repair panel to be welded to the bottom of the rear wing.
73GTVJim likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Gave the GTV a good 160 mile round trip with motorways and twisty country roads, is driving really nice, I'm getting some kind of noise from 5000 rpm and above, hard to describe and I don't know how I can explain it to my mechanic other than taking him for a spirited drive, but other than that can't wait for some more nice weather, killed a fair few flies also.
RobM likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
When my mate sat in my spider the (passenger) seat moved and gave him quite a shock, I knew the runners were a bit u/s but didn't expect it to come off; anyhoo unbolted the seat this morning and the runners came apart so replaced the bearings (20 per seat) and made up some new spacers with some 6mm chrome bar I had lying around. All sorted, runs nice and smooth now, funny thing is when I went to put the seat back in I found one of the original spacers lying on the floor, bet they are hens teeth.
Had a brilliant run to Brightwells yesterday, managed 36mpg, new record for me and I wasn't hanging about
Top Down likes this.

Italian tune ups are an essential part of an Alfa Romeo maintenance shedule
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90GT View Post
When my mate sat in my spider the (passenger) seat moved and gave him quite a shock, I knew the runners were a bit u/s but didn't expect it to come off; anyhoo unbolted the seat this morning and the runners came apart so replaced the bearings (20 per seat) and made up some new spacers with some 6mm chrome bar I had lying around. All sorted, runs nice and smooth now, funny thing is when I went to put the seat back in I found one of the original spacers lying on the floor, bet they are hens teeth.
Had a brilliant run to Brightwells yesterday, managed 36mpg, new record for me and I wasn't hanging about
It's amazing what is just lying around in the garage; that's probably why my garage is rammed with stuff that could be useful one day.

These cars never cease to amaze me. I regularly get around 36mpg and I think I don't hang around. But it makes me think just how hard they drove these cars, back in the day, when they were road tested and they managed an average of 22mpg. They must have absolutely thrashed them with an inch of their lives.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dunamis View Post
It's amazing what is just lying around in the garage; that's probably why my garage is rammed with stuff that could be useful one day.

These cars never cease to amaze me. I regularly get around 36mpg and I think I don't hang around. But it makes me think just how hard they drove these cars, back in the day, when they were road tested and they managed an average of 22mpg. They must have absolutely thrashed them with an inch of their lives.
My philosophy exactly, you never know; these were bits left over from when I dismantled our old kitchen units and they were just too bright and shiny to throw away..I was particularly pleased with the mpg as the same mate had a (petrol) Ford Kuga courtesy car which only managed 35mpg for some town work and mway cruise.
AO Member

County: Peloponnesos - Birmingham
Hi guys,

I am having back in Greece an Alfetta GT 1600cc 1978 model that was bought back in 2002by my father as a donor car for our 2000cc.
It was a very solid car and we were always feeling bad to break it so it stood there all these years.
The problem is that we cannot use it as we donít have any paperwork for it and the Greek DVLA is not registering it.
If we would ship it here in UK, would it be possible to get registered?

Thanks in advance guys, any opinion would be highly appreciated.

Alfa Sud 1.2
Alfa 33 1.4iel
Alfa 156 FL 1.8ts
Alfetta GTV
Alfa GT Veloce 1.8ts
Alfa 156 2.0ts
Alfa 159ti 2.0JDTm
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
Membro Premio

County: Suffolk
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftopoua View Post
Hi guys,

I am having back in Greece an Alfetta GT 1600cc 1978 model that was bought back in 2002by my father as a donor car for our 2000cc.
It was a very solid car and we were always feeling bad to break it so it stood there all these years.
The problem is that we cannot use it as we donít have any paperwork for it and the Greek DVLA is not registering it.
If we would ship it here in UK, would it be possible to get registered?

Thanks in advance guys, any opinion would be highly appreciated.
Yes, it should be entirely possible to get it registered in the UK. There's a specific process for doing so, which is set out in some detail here...
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

...and quite a helpful article here.

There are also companies that will (for a fee!) help you navigate your way through the admin and paperwork.
AO Member

County: Peloponnesos - Birmingham
Thank you very much.
I 've ordered the v55/5 application from DVLA so as to take a better look on this subject!
AO Member

County: 'Amman

Member car:

alfa spider

Well nothing today... But this being lazy Ramadan in Jordan, I've helped start daily "sunset drive" and am getting impressed by who's showing up. Tomorrow will we Bakiza's day out inshaAllah DSC_1105.jpgIMG-20190517-WA0034.jpgDSC_1530.jpg

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Got the passenger side interior chrome on apart from the kick plate. Bit of a jigsaw to say the least. Meant taking the rear side window back out and a few attempts to suss out which way the inner B pillar trim went on and attached but finally got there and put the window back in which doesn't foul as I believe some do. The driver's side should be a doddle (he said hopefully).
Mr Dunamis likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

1975 Alfetta GT

Today I had a go at putting my custom chrome vinyl sticker on the rear hatch. It is the correct size and spacing as the original, but moved to the same location as the later cars. I got two, so I can always attach it some place else. I also include a picture of the standard location. I also swapped over the fuel pump, and gave the exterior a good wash and checked for new rust spots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6158.jpg (115.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg rear badge.jpg (69.1 KB, 6 views)
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
Membro Premio

County: Suffolk
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfahaze View Post
Today I had a go at putting my custom chrome vinyl sticker on the rear hatch. It is the correct size and spacing as the original, but moved to the same location as the later cars. I got two, so I can always attach it some place else. I also include a picture of the standard location. I also swapped over the fuel pump, and gave the exterior a good wash and checked for new rust spots.
Looks neat, and the later location is better/more visible too. I guess the original was chromed metal, like on my saloon...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5062.jpg (163.2 KB, 4 views)
AO Member

County: -
What have I done to my car ?? Right, I've sworn at it and the stupid oil filter which would not come off. I used 3 types of tools, and finally rammed a screwdriver through the filter. None of them any chuffing good at all.
So I called the AA (almost alcoholics anonymous, but actually the Automobile Assn) and a very good chap came with his bright yellow van. With some effort he got the filter off and put the new one on. He used a very large mole grip. So it wasn't just me then.
Last year I turned the filter off by hand and refitted the new one (ie the problem one).
The question is: wtf is the oil filter in such a naff place on a 105, and why was this filter such a pain ???
Now there's just all the oil over the floor and my tools to clean up......
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaspider53 View Post
What have I done to my car ?? Right, I've sworn at it and the stupid oil filter which would not come off. I used 3 types of tools, and finally rammed a screwdriver through the filter. None of them any chuffing good at all.
So I called the AA (almost alcoholics anonymous, but actually the Automobile Assn) and a very good chap came with his bright yellow van. With some effort he got the filter off and put the new one on. He used a very large mole grip. So it wasn't just me then.
Last year I turned the filter off by hand and refitted the new one (ie the problem one).
The question is: wtf is the oil filter in such a naff place on a 105, and why was this filter such a pain ???
Now there's just all the oil over the floor and my tools to clean up......
I've never had a problem removing the filter and I have done it a few times, and most of the time I've managed to do it by hand. I guess you were very unlucky.

Is the filter in a 'naff place' - it has to go somewhere and it could be worse, for example under the carbs?
AO Gold Member

Today I replaced the front seats in the Giulia Super with some period bucket seats. They look great and the greatest benefit is that they improve the driving position massively for me as an over 6 footer the driving position rather compromised my driving enjoyment but now its superb.
73GTVJim likes this.
AO Silver Member

Nothing to the Spider as my head has been turned by a new addition to the fleet to replace my DD.... was going for a sensible choice, golf mk5, Honda civic etc but for some reason got a 147 JTDM, talk about glutton for punishment...., need my head looking at, a few issues (well, it was cheap) but its definitely a grower, it also means I should never miss another Alfa event due to the weather
roony likes this.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

71 1750 Spider,

Nice cars Martin... We used to own one... At least you can still have some alfa fun and driving experiences..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90GT View Post
Nothing to the Spider as my head has been turned by a new addition to the fleet to replace my DD.... was going for a sensible choice, golf mk5, Honda civic etc but for some reason got a 147 JTDM, talk about glutton for punishment...., need my head looking at, a few issues (well, it was cheap) but its definitely a grower, it also means I should never miss another Alfa event due to the weather
Joe90GT likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

1975 Alfetta GT

Today I fitted a new indicator lens, as I got bored looking at the old one flapping about. Unfortunately the ones from CA did not fit the Alfetta GT, so I had to buy one from italian eBay £££££ ouch. But the chrome surround is worth it though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indicators.jpg (41.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg installed.jpg (39.9 KB, 8 views)

County: Cork
Garage
Voting now open for the previous entries https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll...tion-vote.html (May 2019 AO Detailing Competition Vote) Vote for whoever you think deserves to win

June Detailing competition now open for entries https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-...n-entries.html (June 2019 Detailing Competition Entries)
Don't let the title put you off, it doesn't have to be a full detail, a wash & a clean will do, if the car looks good take some pics & submit them, please include some info on what you have done to the car

Check out the updated rules here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-...ion-rules.html (Monthly Detailing Competition Rules)
AO Member

County: -
Had my GTV set up correctly on a rolling road yesterday. Altered timing, distributor advance and jetting. Now she goes properly!
Top Down and duemila like this.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
After overhauling the steering box and replacing a couple of joints on the drag link I took the car for 4 wheel alignment today, no adjustment needed it was spot on.
AO Silver Member

Gave the spider its annual / 3000 ml oil and filter change, pleased to note very little swarf on the magnetic plug as usual, think the tappets need doing tho, good run the CAD giro too.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > The Classic Alfa Romeos

Tags
alfa , classic , today

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page