Visiting Italy in your classic? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 17Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 07-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Visiting Italy in your classic?

Then you need to be very aware of the Low Emission Zones in place now (since the end of 2018) in most Italian cities and towns.

We were taking our S2 to Italy this year with the AROC, looks like its going to be the 939 Spider now, lucky we have an option.

https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/co...mbardia/milano

Last edited by Top Down; 07-06-19 at 11:04.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
I'd still take it, unless you wanted to go into Milan, the 939 will get you there quicker though and with probably less fatigue, good info to know though
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
I've been putting off going in my S2 but will get round to it, no intention of driving through the desperately congested cities tho so not a problem, does it mean classic are banned and will get heavily fined? - I would still take the S2, much as a the 939 is a nice motor, to drive to and around Italy in a classic Italian sports car has to be more rewarding
SimonGTV and roony like this.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Excluded from the LEZ:

1. light electric and hybrid vehicles

2. vehicles that can run on natural gas or LPG.

3. diesel-powered vehicles fitted with a certified diesel particulate filter that reduces PM to Euro 3 standard

4. historic vehicles provided in possession of the historicity or the identity certificate / approval issued after registration with the historical record.

5. vehicles classified as agricultural machinery in art. 57 of Legislative Decree 285/1992;

6. four-stroke motorcycles and mopeds

7. vehicles with special design or use of a service for purposes of a public or social interest, as specified below:

Current cars - 1973 2000 GTV, 1974 Spider 2000, 2002 Porsche 911, 2003 Rover 75 V6.

Gone but not forgotten - 1999 GTV TS, 1987 Alfetta GTV, 1978 Alfetta GTV, 1968 Giulia Super 1600, 1967 GT Junior 1300.
AO Silver Member

County: Nordrhein-Westfalen

Member car:

Alfa Spider 4

Italy and emissions......gotta laugh.

and those ginormous (and horridly ugly) cruise ships in Venice, churning out the worst kind of dangerous diesel particulates known to man... they, of course, are allowed.
One cruise ship tinkering about the med has been likened to 5 million cars.
(Post Link) post #6 of 29 Old 09-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonGTV View Post
Excluded from the LEZ:

1. light electric and hybrid vehicles

2. vehicles that can run on natural gas or LPG.

3. diesel-powered vehicles fitted with a certified diesel particulate filter that reduces PM to Euro 3 standard

4. historic vehicles provided in possession of the historicity or the identity certificate / approval issued after registration with the historical record.

5. vehicles classified as agricultural machinery in art. 57 of Legislative Decree 285/1992;

6. four-stroke motorcycles and mopeds

7. vehicles with special design or use of a service for purposes of a public or social interest, as specified below:
Yes thats Milan its Turin that is the problem, they dont have the same leniency. And what does "identity certificate / approval issued after registration with the historical record" mean, V5?
(Post Link) post #7 of 29 Old 13-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I know have access for Milan, still wait to hear about Turin.
(Post Link) post #8 of 29 Old 14-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

This morning I got my friend Mr Google to translate an email which I sent to the Torino Polizia Municipale. The answer is a firm NO! No cars older than Euro 1 in Torino except on Saturdays and public holidays, then only if the driver is over 70!! So it will have to be the 939, heres the reply:

Dear Mr. Price Stephen

In Turin with order n. 67/18, available at the following internet link http://www.comune.torino.it/ambiente...imitazioni-tra 0.24 / traffic.index.shtml, traffic restrictions are in place to combat pollution, in short:
1. all euro zero vehicles cannot circulate every day from 00 to 24 hours;
2. they cannot circulate from Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 7.00 pm Diesel vehicles euro 1 and 2.
There are exceptions that are included in the order, in your case the vehicles of historical interest registered in the appropriate registers, can circulate on Saturdays and holidays or for participation in events called by the associations, but in the event that the cars were driven by people who are at least 70 years of age or can move freely with a disabled permit.

This is the centre of Italian auto industry.

Someone said to me, "so whats so special about an Alfa Romeo then?" I told him, "If you have to ask, you wont understand".

Giulia Super Lusso 2.0MA, wife drives 939 Spider 2.2, plus now a 147 1.6 TS whilst the Spider hibernates and there is a 1972 Spider 2000 S2 in the garage for fun days.

Previously, Brera 2.2 Prodrive - 159 SW 1.9JTDm
AO Silver Member

FFS, these emission zones are such bull****, the only people it really hurts are people who live in the cities and can't afford or don't want to pay for new cars, its fine to drive round in some new monster V8 SUV but not an "old" car, just take the 939 plates and some velcro, its registered as an Alfa Spider.....
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
This morning I got my friend Mr Google to translate an email which I sent to the Torino Polizia Municipale. The answer is a firm NO! No cars older than Euro 1 in Torino except on Saturdays and public holidays, then only if the driver is over 70!! So it will have to be the 939, heres the reply:

Dear Mr. Price Stephen

In Turin with order n. 67/18, available at the following internet link http://www.comune.torino.it/ambiente...imitazioni-tra 0.24 / traffic.index.shtml, traffic restrictions are in place to combat pollution, in short:
1. all euro zero vehicles cannot circulate every day from 00 to 24 hours;
2. they cannot circulate from Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 7.00 pm Diesel vehicles euro 1 and 2.
There are exceptions that are included in the order, in your case the vehicles of historical interest registered in the appropriate registers, can circulate on Saturdays and holidays or for participation in events called by the associations, but in the event that the cars were driven by people who are at least 70 years of age or can move freely with a disabled permit.

This is the centre of Italian auto industry.
Think like the Italians - IGNORE THE RULES! They might say 'la legge un asino'.

The probability of you being detected or stopped are low and the probability of there being consequence of you not paying any fine are low.

Andy
spiderserie4 likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bowden View Post

The probability of you being detected or stopped are low and the probability of there being consequence of you not paying any fine are low.

Andy
What he said. Nobody is going to stop you and if they do they will want a selfie not to issue a fine.
AO Member

Quote:

Andy
I wouldn't be too sure. 2 years ago we drove (in a 939) around the outskirts of Florence, a fine came in the post some time after we got back for driving in a controlled area, we were not stopped at the time so must have been ANPR.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I wouldn't be too sure. 2 years ago we drove (in a 939) around the outskirts of Florence, a fine came in the post some time after we got back for driving in a controlled area, we were not stopped at the time so must have been ANPR.
You surely didn't pay the fine?

Andy
(Post Link) post #14 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Alphamale, there have for some time now been area's where you cant drive, especially in controlled zone, nothing to do with LEZ's.

However the good news is I have had another email back from the Polizia, after some whinging from me! And we have been given the all clear. At least now IF anything does happen I have email acceptance of our trip. We are only in Torino one day, driving from the hotel to the Lingoto building and we will be gone by mid day.
Andy Bowden and SimonGTV like this.
(Post Link) post #15 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Quote:
You surely didn't pay the fine?

Andy
Problem is if you don't pay the fine you cant go back to Italy without getting clobbered by ANPR and the fine will be a lot heavier
(Post Link) post #16 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Alphamale, there have for some time now been area's where you cant drive, especially in controlled zone, nothing to do with LEZ's.

However the good news is I have had another email back from the Polizia, after some whinging from me! And we have been given the all clear. At least now IF anything does happen I have email acceptance of our trip. We are only in Torino one day, driving from the hotel to the Lingoto building and we will be gone by mid day.
Nice one, enjoy your trip
Andy Bowden likes this.
(Post Link) post #17 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
It's a bit of a lottery driving abroad, I was flashed for speeding in Switzerland and France, never heard a thing, parked in the middle of Bellagio which is residents only and never got a fine. Others have. Great news on your trip have fun,
(Post Link) post #18 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Its a bit daunting to be honest, over 2000 miles, I've done a hell of a lot of work on the car, lets hope I got it all right!
(Post Link) post #19 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
You'll be fine, I took my GTV a few years ago and I din't know the engine was on it's last legs, it had the decency to break down the week after I got back, if you're radiator is ok, I'm sure your car will enjoy the trip
(Post Link) post #20 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
Be careful driving through France. My wife has had two trips to France in the past eight months without me, in the family car which is registered in my name. I have had three speeding fines sent to me. One arrived in March, from a trip back in October! Part of the issue was the reduction in speed limit on A roads from 90 to 80kph. The other part was her heavy right foot in a powerful car
(Post Link) post #21 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Its a bit daunting to be honest, over 2000 miles, I've done a hell of a lot of work on the car, lets hope I got it all right!
I know what you mean having done three Irish tours through thick and thin, last tour i had a clutch master leak but although it looked bad was entirely manageable with a few top ups and the wiper linkage popped off, again a bit of spannering and all was fine, the first couple of days you fret about odd noises etc but after a while you'll relax and really enjoy it, the sense of achievement is unbeatable, the pleasure derived from driving a old but well loved classic is brilliant. I take a small tool kit and some essential spares just for peace of mind really, go and enjoy and let us know how you get on, I still want to take mine to Italy so will be interested in your route.
Top Down likes this.

Italian tune ups are an essential part of an Alfa Romeo maintenance shedule
(Post Link) post #22 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglospider View Post
Be careful driving through France. My wife has had two trips to France in the past eight months without me, in the family car which is registered in my name. I have had three speeding fines sent to me. One arrived in March, from a trip back in October! Part of the issue was the reduction in speed limit on A roads from 90 to 80kph. The other part was her heavy right foot in a powerful car
Quite, and our French friends have a habit of hiding the cameras, not the bright yellow ones we are used to.
(Post Link) post #23 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

I've heard the Swiss are particularly devious when it comes to speed cameras, to the point where they will jump out from behind pillars and snap you
(Post Link) post #24 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90GT View Post
I've heard the Swiss are particularly devious when it comes to speed cameras, to the point where they will jump out from behind pillars and snap you
Isnt that the paperazie trying to snap the Clooney's?
Joe90GT likes this.

Last edited by Top Down; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:37.
(Post Link) post #25 of 29 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well, we got got back last night (Sunday 7th). 3000 very hard miles, it wasnt the twisty hilly bits, but the long motorway stretches where 110 - 120kph was needed to cover et 400km to the next stop that was so tiring.

The car ran well, but sounds very tired right now (like me!). Did have a few minor problems, bracket on the boot hinge where the spring assist fixes on broke, so we used the cameras mono pod to prop the boot open when needed, also the wing nut came undone and fell off the end of the air filter canister, simply fixed with gaffer tape! Finally after a few days of rough running one of the plugs gave up completely one morning. The garage where we stopped did not have any, but ordered some for us to arrive in an Italian 1/2 hour, 1 1/2 hours later they arrived and normal service was continued. At first I thought the rough running was as a result of the blistering heat, in Milan and Turin we suffered 42 deg C.

I will put together a proper report soon with photos. Driving a LHD classic spider in Italy was a hoot, flashed, beeped and waved at from everything from trucks, bikers, people on the side of the road, a Porsche and a newish Ferrari.
duemila likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > The Classic Alfa Romeos

Tags
classic , italy , visiting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page