Steering Idler question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SimonGTV
  • 1 Post By Joe90GT
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 01-05-19 Thread Starter
Status: Garage time..
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 965

Member car:

71 1750 Spider,

Steering Idler question

Currently have the front suspension stripped for a refurb... If I were to remove the steering Idler box (3 x bolts) to clean up, do I create any geometry issues etc? or is it just unbolt clean and refit?

Also if removed from car is there any maintenance that I can carry out?

Thanks for any feedback..

Last edited by roony; 01-05-19 at 20:48.
roony is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Just one more project!
AO Silver Member
 
SimonGTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 2,043
Garage
You can undo the three nuts and remove the plate in the inner wing without disturbing the box. You can then clean and paint it before putting in back on.

If you want to remove it you can just split the track rod ends and clean it up or replace the bearings for a full refurb.
SimonGTV is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 01-05-19 Thread Starter
Status: Garage time..
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 965

Member car:

71 1750 Spider,

Thanks....Track rod ends are all removed along with the full suspension. Hence why I thought it was a good idea to clean it up. are doing yours at the minute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonGTV View Post
You can undo the three nuts and remove the plate in the inner wing without disturbing the box. You can then clean and paint it before putting in back on.

If you want to remove it you can just split the track rod ends and clean it up or replace the bearings for a full refurb.
roony is offline  
Status: Just one more project!
AO Silver Member
 
SimonGTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 2,043
Garage
Yes, mines nearly all back together now thankfully, Iím just having fun with the steering box. There was no play in my idler so I left it alone, I cleaned it up and painted the bracing bar in the wheel arch, only actually two nuts to get this off.
SimonGTV is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 02-05-19 Thread Starter
Status: Garage time..
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 965

Member car:

71 1750 Spider,

Thanks Simon I plan on removing mine this evening and cleaning it up! out of interest what is the measurement on your drag link bar? is it around 544mm from centre of each ball joint?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonGTV View Post
Yes, mines nearly all back together now thankfully, Iím just having fun with the steering box. There was no play in my idler so I left it alone, I cleaned it up and painted the bracing bar in the wheel arch, only actually two nuts to get this off.
roony is offline  
Status: Just one more project!
AO Silver Member
 
SimonGTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 2,043
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roony View Post
Thanks Simon I plan on removing mine this evening and cleaning it up! out of interest what is the measurement on your drag link bar? is it around 544mm from centre of each ball joint?
Yes thatís about right, mines 550mm
roony likes this.
SimonGTV is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 02-05-19 Thread Starter
Status: Garage time..
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 965

Member car:

71 1750 Spider,

its out..

So removed mine this evening.. really easy as the front is all stripped any way. There is zero movement and all seems tight.. Put it in the vice to remove the nut holding the spindle and it was only finger tight??? The spindle is rust free! Hopefully just need to clean, paint and grease then it will be ready for another few years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0345.jpg (131.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (99.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0346.jpg (130.4 KB, 9 views)
roony is offline  
Status: all running well....so far
AO Silver Member
 
spiderserie4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Germany
County: Nordrhein-Westfalen
Posts: 3,741

Member car:

Alfa Spider 4

you cant really feel play in the idler on the bench.
what do the bushes look like...Any uneven wear to be seen?
(They are likely the original type yellow bushes with little holes on the surface)
spiderserie4 is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 03-05-19 Thread Starter
Status: Garage time..
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 965

Member car:

71 1750 Spider,

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
you cant really feel play in the idler on the bench.
what do the bushes look like...Any uneven wear to be seen?
(They are likely the original type yellow bushes with little holes on the surface)
YesI think they are, I tested it whilst it was still fitted to the car, no slack and still had resistance when moving..?? What does a worn one feel like?
roony is offline  
Status: all running well....so far
AO Silver Member
 
spiderserie4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Germany
County: Nordrhein-Westfalen
Posts: 3,741

Member car:

Alfa Spider 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roony View Post
YesI think they are, I tested it whilst it was still fitted to the car, no slack and still had resistance when moving..?? What does a worn one feel like?
if tested on the car, thats different.

when you have it all cleaned and greased up and the nut tightened, then just check if it turns smooth with your hand.
Certainly when I fitted new bushes to mine I reamed it till it just turned smoothly, no resistance per se.
spiderserie4 is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 03-05-19 Thread Starter
Status: Garage time..
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 965

Member car:

71 1750 Spider,

Thanks... for the tip... once back on the car I will retest


Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
if tested on the car, thats different.

when you have it all cleaned and greased up and the nut tightened, then just check if it turns smooth with your hand.
Certainly when I fitted new bushes to mine I reamed it till it just turned smoothly, no resistance per se.
roony is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: Garage time..
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 965

Member car:

71 1750 Spider,

Can any one tell me how tight the nut should be on the Idler arm? it was only hand tight when I removed it? Can you over tighten? Thanks
roony is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: all running well....so far
AO Silver Member
 
spiderserie4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Germany
County: Nordrhein-Westfalen
Posts: 3,741

Member car:

Alfa Spider 4

my factory manual doesn't actually say

a chap on BB, said his autobooks manual states 35-40 ft.lbs for that top nut
spiderserie4 is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: Garage time..
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 965

Member car:

71 1750 Spider,

Ok.. thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
my factory manual doesn't actually say

a chap on BB, said his autobooks manual states 35-40 ft.lbs for that top nut
roony is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: Alfisti
AO Silver Member
 
Joe90GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gloucestershire
Posts: 3,216
Don't know if any of these are relevant Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-06-03_0523.jpg (84.8 KB, 8 views)
roony likes this.
Joe90GT is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: Garage time..
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 965

Member car:

71 1750 Spider,

Thanks Martin, Its very handy for me putting the front suspension back together...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90GT View Post
Don't know if any of these are relevant Rod
roony is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > The Classic Alfa Romeos

Tags
idler , question , steering

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mysterious Burman steering box problem duetto The Classic Alfa Romeos 0 16-04-10 11:53

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome