AlfaOwner + Autoguide are conmen. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The AO Bug Lounge
Find an image missing? A page you cannot access? Post it here.

Spacecadet

AlfaOwner + Autoguide are conmen.

I use my mobile phone to navigate this site. Many people who use Autoguide app have been annoyed by it.

However, today they have truly excelled themselves in their thieving, money scamming, self centred, profit centred hideousness.

The Autoguide app loads an advert at the bottom of each and every page, ideally placed just above the navigation buttons for misplaced fingers to link into the tat that they would like me to buy. It happens, fine. They have even optimised the advert banner so it loads a fraction of a second after the main text of the page so as a finger goes to tap a navigation icon the icon is replaced with the advert. Okay, I know AO is only in the forum business for the money. That is clear.

Today, one of the adverts I mistakenly tapped on in just this way was William Hill. The advert didn't take me to another irritating splash add, it autodialled the William Hill gambling line. 1.50 charged to my phone bill. Without my consent, without any warning I was being directed to a premium rate phone number.

What a bunch of money hungry, profit whores.

Now I don't gamble, at all, ever. I am utterly livid that AlfaOwner and their in bed lover Autoguide see fit to trick their membership into funding gambling sites.

Oh, and before some smart Alec cones along and says adverts are from browsing history, my Fruitphone is browsing private. There is no browsing history.

So, as a direct question to the powers that be, moderators, administrators, whoever is wearing the badge if office today, Please justify placing single tap links to premium rate gambling websites inside what is often referred to as a family friendly site with all the rules and regulations that go with that?

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Sounds rubbish to me.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Fine rantage. I rarely use my phone for AO but have frequently noticed it on others and thought myself lucky not to have made such a mistake. It is a cynical ploy.

You should complain to Ofcom. There should be regulation against this.
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
I use my phone browser no problems, never used a mobile optimised browser/app

One thing though, whilst i agree that it is wrong in its practice, you cannot blame AO. Try blaming tyreforums/verticalscope instead
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Thats not good but its probably in the apps permissions
Spacecadet

There are no app permissions that are user accessible.

Spacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
I use my phone browser no problems, never used a mobile optimised browser/app

One thing though, whilst i agree that it is wrong in its practice, you cannot blame AO. Try blaming tyreforums/verticalscope instead
AO are owned by tyre forums. Therefore they are the same entity.

Unregistered

AO are owned by Verticle Scope but that's no excuse for what's happened here
You know I've been on here a long time and my opinion for what it's worth is this is shameful
Gaz
Regional Support North

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
AO are owned by tyre forums. Therefore they are the same entity.

Nah im not buying that. Its like saying Maserati are responsible for the iffy styling on the Giulietta because they are owned by Fiat.
Spacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Nah im not buying that. Its like saying Maserati are responsible for the iffy styling on the Giulietta because they are owned by Fiat.
Close, but not quite, the Fiat example is a branch structure. Fiat auto is responsible for the Alfa styling because Fiat own Alfa. It is also responsible for Maserati, Alfa is not in line with Maserati so it is not responsible. Fist is responsible for both sub brands.

In the same way VW own Audi, which owns Lamborghini so VW are responsible for the quality of the design work and advertising, or the delegation of this tasks, at Lamborghini. Lamborghini take the initial responsibility(AlfaOwner) followed by their backer/owner - Audi (TyreForums) who report to, and are overseen at the large scale decision making stage by VW(Whoever is the top tier in this forums ownership)

Who ever owns AO, they are taking sodding liabilities.

Gaz
Regional Support North

Ok i'll go with that comparison. Where it differs somewhat though is that Lambo has a manager/chief exec or whatever who is accountable to the chief exec of VAG. AO doesnt have a manager as such in that sense, only the owners, in this case VerticalScope. Hence it not really being an AO problem. Aside from which it is an AutoGuide problem and i'll put money on this being an issue right across the portfolio of every forum they own

As i said originally, i agree with you on it being wrong and you (and others) have my support on the problem. It isn't an AO issue though. I'm more than happy to stand up for this community and defend it but not the owners, who are seperate from here

AO Platinum Member

Have a look at the ASA web site, sounds to me like a prime case for a complaint.

Consumers - Advertising Standards Authority
AO Platinum Member

Yes.. complain to the OFCOM / ASA regulator ...

And Watchdog. It'll be good fun to see AO on telly!

Ralf S.
Durty dog

Any external dialling up without your permission is illegal.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
I've reported it to the 'management' as soon as Andy posted, pretty much.
testing

County: Canada
Garage

Member car:

Spider/GTA/

AndyMac,

I am sorry to hear that, but lets get a few things straight.

1. the app is a branded version of Tapatalk, we do not have control over the placement of the ads, almost any app you will run on your phone will have an ad bar at the bottom. If you don't like the ad you can upgrade to the paid version and you will not have to see said ad.

2. The ad you see is a google ad, we can block url's from it, but have no other control over what come up.

3. we do not want an ad like you have stated on our app, so if you can get me the URL I can have it banned. Also if you can email me the bill that shows that 1.50 charge we will refund it and go to goolge to file a complaint about them running an ad like that on our network.

Conclusion, email me at [email protected] please put ATT Helena in the topic. I will get you the $1.50 back as long as I can see the bill for it so we can go go Google and ensure that this doesn't happen to any one else.

Helena

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Official AO Problem Discussion Forum > Submit Your Questions / Bugs > The AO Bug Lounge

Tags
alfaowner , autoguide , conmen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page