Right-click in classifieds. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The AO Bug Lounge
Find an image missing? A page you cannot access? Post it here.

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 22-05-13 Thread Starter
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Right-click in classifieds.

Somebody has for some bizarre reason disabled right-clicking in the classifieds.

If deliberate, this really is a very stupid idea. Why? An ad I read this morning has an eBay number in the text ( not a link ). As you've disabled right-click, I wasn't ( initially! ) able to highlight and copy the eBay number so I could paste it for an eBay search. So this means that you force people to manually transcribe information such as that. Software is supposed to be user-friendly, not user-abusive.

If it's accidental, somebody needs to undo this asap.

For myself, I do not care any more because it took me less than 15 seconds to defeat this 'feature' and that illustrates just how pointless this sort of thing is. And no, I didn't even have to disable scripting itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Does Ctrl-C not work?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Just checked, it does.
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 22-05-13 Thread Starter
pkr
AO Silver Member

Indeed, just further indicates the craziness of disabling right-click.
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkr View Post
Somebody has for some bizarre reason disabled right-clicking in the classifieds.

If deliberate, this really is a very stupid idea. Why?
That somebody was me, and it's not a bizarre reason or a stupid idea at all. It was done to prevent scammers right-clicking and saving our members images to use in fake adverts - it's the same reason we apply an AO watermark to uploaded images, although this is even easier to get around by using image editing software. Not sure why you're being so scathing against what is effectively a layer of security.
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 22-05-13 Thread Starter
pkr
AO Silver Member

Did you not read the rest of what I wrote?

And image editing is easier than the 15 seconds it took me to re-enable the right click menus ( I did not even have to restart the brower - just refresh the page )? I think not somehow Although that does depend on knowledge and browser I suppose.

These things will never stop determined scammers or even those less determined but can use google ( 58,100,000 hits for the search I just performed ) and all it achieves is annoying genuine users who may not know how to work around it. It really is an utterly futile exercise.

EDIT : Oh yeah, and I REALLY, REALLY hate it when people try to take away MY control over MY computer.
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

I read all of your post - but unfortunately I couldn't quite work out the real point of it through all the vitriol and rage.

I've explained the reason and since I admin the site, it's effectively my computer so I can enable whatever options I feel are best for us.
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 22-05-13 Thread Starter
pkr
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post
I read all of your post - but unfortunately I couldn't quite work out the real point of it through all the vitriol and rage.
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post
I've explained the reason and since I admin the site, it's effectively my computer so I can enable whatever options I feel are best for us.
Heh. Spoken in the best toys out of the pram tradition

Your 'solution' doesn't achieve your stated aim. It is dead easy to circumvent. It is pointless.

Unrelated example : Software vendors wrote software to only allow their software to run with the CD in the CD drive. A new software industry sector was born creating virtual CD-Rom drive software. So, what was the point in the software vendors doing that? None at all. All that effort and it was defeated almost instantly. Someone will always create a workaround. And it is exactly the same for the disabling of right-click.

Anyway, the point is made.

Bye now.
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

If there has to be effort put into a workaround then only the determined scammers will feel the need to go looking for it. If by doing this I can stop all but the determined then the goal is achieved.

My toys are well and truly still in the pram, but my and my ball are going home.
Club Member
Membro Premio

As an aside, I've built up a rather large library of images of Alfa stuff for future reference and a lot of it is 'interesting' cars for sale, if I find a website disables right click so I cannot conventionally copy & paste or save the file I use print screen and paste it into Paint, crop off the excess and then save the image. I remember trying to take screen grabs of an MPEG file that was playing in windows media player using the same idea and it wouldn't work - the movie part of the image didn't paste into Paint but the surroundings did - I still to this day do not know what was defeating me.
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 23-05-13 Thread Starter
pkr
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I remember trying to take screen grabs of an MPEG file that was playing in windows media player using the same idea and it wouldn't work - the movie part of the image didn't paste into Paint but the surroundings did - I still to this day do not know what was defeating me.
When you use Print Screen ( or Alt-Print Screen ) you copy to the clip board what the operating system knows is on the screen ( or in the window with focus ). In your case, the video was being sent directly to the video card without the OS being aware of the content. So Print Screen got everything but the video content.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkr View Post
When you use Print Screen ( or Alt-Print Screen ) you copy to the clip board what the operating system knows is on the screen ( or in the window with focus ). In your case, the video was being sent directly to the video card without the OS being aware of the content. So Print Screen got everything but the video content.
Thanks for that - its been bugging me for about 15 years now

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Official AO Problem Discussion Forum > Submit Your Questions / Bugs > The AO Bug Lounge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page