I know you all know..... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The AO Bug Lounge
Find an image missing? A page you cannot access? Post it here.

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 18-12-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
I know you all know.....

but

CONSTANT SPAM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SCGT

Spam free here ......not even a pop up ...

(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 18-12-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Truly this thread is an icon to all others.
daveb257

Fritters ?

Unregistered

County: Lancashire
We've been spammed by some prolific spammers over the last few days for those that didn't see it.
Unregistered

County: Lancashire
Poll Lounge is being spammed again
AO Gold Member

County: -
was the poll about spammers? might be legit
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
Is anything being done to combat this? We're getting hit constantly over in the 166 section. I and a few others are reporting every new spam post, which obviously then makes work for the mods to delete them. But what can be done to stop it happening in the first place?
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLPoomobile View Post
Is anything being done to combat this? We're getting hit constantly over in the 166 section. I and a few others are reporting every new spam post, which obviously then makes work for the mods to delete them. But what can be done to stop it happening in the first place?
We can't really do much about it that wouldn't result in being overly restrictive to genuine new members such as not allowing the posting of links etc until certain criteria are met. We already don't activate signatures for newly signed up members until registration for 14 days and 10 posts made have been met (spammers very often make a few nonsensical posts and have a spam link in their signature).

Unfortunately when a forum is of AOs size ad has very good search engine rankings it is an attractive proposal to spambots to improve their own search engine ranks which is why the links get posted. Why the 166 forum and threads mentioning 166 (probably this thread now!) get targeted is beyond me - maybe a lucky number in some cultures? I don't know.

We have an image verification in our registration form which is to try and prevent automated bots signing up and it does stop a large percentage of attempted registrations. All I can ask is that every member keeps on reporting the spam posts or threads and the mod team will keep on deleting them - you just need to put 'SPAM' in your report and we will know straight away what to do and there is a great Two-Click system for removing the spammers and all their posts in one go. Don't reply to and especially don't quote the spammers - that results in extra work for the mods to delete the quoted text which we can't do automatically and if the spam link is left on the forum then the spammers have achieved their goal.

I hope this explains things a bit for you.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
Thanks for the clarification.

If there's no immediate way to prevent the spam, I'll happily keep reporting it, and hopefully it it'll die out eventually.

I don't want to suggest you reinvent the wheel, but another forum I've been part of for years has a very good way of approving new members, which I think would go some to prevent this sort of thing. Rather than just a series of tickboxes, drop down menus and an image verification step, this other forum requires a more pro-active effort on behalf of both the user and the moderation team. The new user is required verbally state certain things like the fact that they have read, understood and agree to the rules, provide their name and location, and a little bit of information about themselves (age, hobbies, cars they drive etc). This then goes to the moderation team to approve before the user can post on the forum.

Requires more effort on both parts, and some users do whinge about this, BUT, I think if that sort of process was in place here, the spammers would be easy to spot at the first step.

Something to mull over anyway.
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

I've reported one particular user this evening, he/she has already posted about 20 posts and doesn't seem to want to stop!

I had 3 e-mails from Admin Helper, does that mean that the perpetrator is being investigated, or are the e-mails just an acknowledgment that I have reported spam?
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkers View Post
I've reported one particular user this evening, he/she has already posted about 20 posts and doesn't seem to want to stop!

I had 3 e-mails from Admin Helper, does that mean that the perpetrator is being investigated, or are the e-mails just an acknowledgment that I have reported spam?
If you read the PM from Admin Helper it explains that you have had a thread title edited (usually to add 'done') - and there's also some text in there thanking you for the report.

The spam situation should be a LOT better now - we installed a spam blocker to prevent the spammers signing up. There will be a few who get through and a few that registered before we installed the blocker but there has been a huge reduction in spam reports for the mod team to deal with.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Official AO Problem Discussion Forum > Submit Your Questions / Bugs > The AO Bug Lounge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page