Image Upload on Signature Overly Processed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The AO Bug Lounge
Find an image missing? A page you cannot access? Post it here.

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 20-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Image Upload on Signature Overly Processed

Hi,

When I upload an image it is not being displayed in it's original format, regardless of what image format I use what is displayed gets altered so the background colour in my sig doesn't match the forum style I use.

the only format that doesn't seem to do this is JPG but there is still some compression going on losing fidelity of text.

Is there a fix for this?

Cheers

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

You should use a PNG to suit all skins, however send me the image to [email protected] and I will test to see what is happenning. Also how long has this been going on for?

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Hi,

When I upload an image it is not being displayed in it's original format, regardless of what image format I use what is displayed gets altered so the background colour in my sig doesn't match the forum style I use.

the only format that doesn't seem to do this is JPG but there is still some compression going on losing fidelity of text.

Is there a fix for this?

Cheers

Sean
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 21-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaowner View Post
You should use a PNG to suit all skins, however send me the image to [email protected] and I will test to see what is happenning. Also how long has this been going on for?

Ian
Hi Ian, cheers for the quick response.

I've only just noticed this today, I haven't had the issue previously when generating sigpic's to match modern style I use the background hex 3E3E3E.

I have generated different files with the following results.

GIF - Not a lossy compression format so no problems with artifacts however the hex code for the background is changed to 3D3D3D

BMP - Huge amount of sampling producing a lot of artifacts

JPG - Loss of fidelity but no change in background colour, fidelity loss may be due to me using Paint.net for generation of the JPG, I generally find that Fireworks is far better at producing JPG for web.

PNG - Bizarrely the file on the site is correct but something is happening when it is shown on the page that makes the background colour 343434 which is massively out of range.

I've created a zip file with the originals and versions saved from the site after uploading and attached to this post.

It looks like the sigpic module is doing some kind of post processing, I know you can add larger images in physical pixel dimensions and file size as avatar and signature and the images are processed.

I understand this is to ensure that all skill levels can utilise the features of the forum but I've seen some horrendous signatures recently that have been generated bigger and have been resized without constrained proportions by the back end processing to make them look squashed.

Cheers

Sean

P.S. FYI I'm running IE8 on Windows 7 Ultimate

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 27-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

bump
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Is this any better for you? Played with settings to hopefully improve.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Official AO Problem Discussion Forum > Submit Your Questions / Bugs > The AO Bug Lounge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page