Google Cloud Move 6/14/18 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The AO Bug Lounge
Find an image missing? A page you cannot access? Post it here.

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 14-06-18 Thread Starter
testing

County: Canada
Garage

Member car:

Spider/GTA/

Google Cloud Move 6/14/18

Hello all,

We are reaching out to let our communities know that we have moved the site off our current hosting platform to Google Cloud today.

If you notice any issues, please report them in the Community to Team section and we will get them addressed ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
Your Community Management Team
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin_Support View Post
Hello all,

We are reaching out to let our communities know that we have moved the site off our current hosting platform to Google Cloud today.

If you notice any issues, please report them in the Community to Team section and we will get them addressed ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
Your Community Management Team
Like "I cannot connect to the PhotoPost Classifieds database. [$php_errormsg]" when trying to view the classifieds page?

Page link is:
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/class...cat.php/cat/68
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Still getting the same issue on multiple machines/locations.
AO Member

County: New South Wales
A case of if it ain’t broke let’s break it? 4C Forums had a few issues after the platform change and still does. Are you the same Administrators? If so, you should be well versed.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Somewhat ironically the move to Google appears to have FUBAR-d the serach...

No David P thread on The Martian?

Juan.PNG

Oh yes there is!!

Surprise.PNG
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Search Function Failing

Searching the Giulietta Technical lounge for threads on water leaks to doors produced nothing. However knowing the problem had been discussed previously I tried a general Google search and it produced these
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ater-leak.html (Rear passenger door seal water leak)
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...s-leaking.html (Rear doors leaking)
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...and-leaks.html (Question about door trim and leaks)
All threads in the Giulietta lounge.

Is there a problem with the search function?
AO Platinum Member

Yup, it's FUBAR
(Post Link) post #8 of 25 Old 18-06-18 Thread Starter
testing

Garage

Member car:

Spider/GTA/

Hey everyone,

After the site was moved to the cloud, the forum faced some technical difficulties such as the issues you call noted here.
The tech team is aware of the issue and will look into it soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Ed
AO Silver Member

Garage
Thanks,

However given that not everyone looks at the bug lounge regularly this sort of information is all too easy to miss. Is there not someway of notifying users that things like the search function are currently not working properly?
(Post Link) post #10 of 25 Old 20-06-18 Thread Starter
testing

Garage

Member car:

Spider/GTA/

Hey there,

Usually, this would be the section where users will need to check in for issues with the site.
Is there another section of the forum where users will see these issues, where would it be?

Ed

County: Cork
Garage
This is the best section for highlighting issues or looking to see if there are any ongoing issues. Not everyone might look here but there's not much you can do about that.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Search is still not working properly. It only finds recent posts not the historical ones you need the search facility for.

Do the techies have a timeline going forward as to when this might be resolved?

Remember the old childhood counting game for plumstones on the edge of a plate? Starts tinker, tailor, soldier.............

and finishes

this year, next year, sometime, never!

I really hope we might get the search facility back somewhat sooner than my childhood memories.
(Post Link) post #13 of 25 Old 25-06-18 Thread Starter
testing

Garage

Member car:

Spider/GTA/

For now, Google Search is still your best tool. The techs are aware of the gaps in the search, but don't have a fix ready that wouldn't break more then it fixes

Kevin
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
The “likes received” link no longer shows you what was liked, just personal profile. Tried on a laptop and iPad with the same results.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
For now, Google Search is still your best tool. The techs are aware of the gaps in the search, but don't have a fix ready that wouldn't break more then it fixes

Kevin
If AO is the be-all and end-all of technical help and support for Alfa Owners it’s pretty self-defeating if you can’t search for a subject to find help.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quite frankly I am getting brassef off with this forum:

1) Have to answer 3 questions about knowing my location, remembering cookies for advertising and then confirming I accept that ads won’t be tailored to me. This happens every time I fire up the site. Then I can login! Why not use cookies to remember the answers to these questions?

2) searches return expected results and repeating the search with modified terms after some minutes, up pops a message about search flood alert, and then again and then redisplays rhe previous but one post I was looking at

3) when scrolling down a forum page of post, the display suddenly jump back or forward missing some posts. I think this is because adverts are being displayed that are bigger or smaller than the space that had previously been reserved

4) when returning to a forum or post using back button it displays from the top instead of where I left it - cookies?

All on an iPhone IOS latest version using safari

I work in app development and these schoolboy errors would have been found if only proper testing was done

More importantly I cannot see evidence that any user experience design has been undertaken to validate that the site is fit for purpose. I’m happy to provide references to one of the best user experience consultancies in the world.

Rich
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_wookey View Post
Quite frankly I am getting brassef off with this forum:

1) Have to answer 3 questions about knowing my location, remembering cookies for advertising and then confirming I accept that ads won’t be tailored to me. This happens every time I fire up the site. Then I can login! Why not use cookies to remember the answers to these questions?

2) searches return expected results and repeating the search with modified terms after some minutes, up pops a message about search flood alert, and then again and then redisplays rhe previous but one post I was looking at

3) when scrolling down a forum page of post, the display suddenly jump back or forward missing some posts. I think this is because adverts are being displayed that are bigger or smaller than the space that had previously been reserved

4) when returning to a forum or post using back button it displays from the top instead of where I left it - cookies?

All on an iPhone IOS latest version using safari

I work in app development and these schoolboy errors would have been found if only proper testing was done

More importantly I cannot see evidence that any user experience design has been undertaken to validate that the site is fit for purpose. I’m happy to provide references to one of the best user experience consultancies in the world.

Rich
Ever thought about using a computer instead of a phone?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
The “likes received” link no longer shows you what was liked, just personal profile. Tried on a laptop and iPad with the same results.
The link on your profile page or somewhere else ?

Working for me on PC (IE) & Android mobile (Chrome).
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post

Ever thought about using a computer instead of a phone?
I use both MacBook and phone, but I already use two windows laptops for work, and forums are banned on both, so during breaks if I want to browse the web, I don’t want my personal MacBook in work as well!!!

If we, the punters, let sloppy web and app design to go unsaid, then developers will never learn good design 😉
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
The link on your profile page or somewhere else ?

Working for me on PC (IE) & Android mobile (Chrome).
I don't think I changed anything in my AO profile. Odd that it doesn't work on any device but does for you.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

There are better ways to search the forum than use the “Always been crap” search facility on the site.

Type in:

Site:<full site address><space><what your searching for>
(Post Link) post #22 of 25 Old 01-07-18 Thread Starter
testing

Garage

Member car:

Spider/GTA/

Good afternoon everyone.

As you may know, we have been migrating our sites over to Google Cloud in order to help with outages and site speed, as well as added security. While doing this change, we are also converting the site to https, which you can read more about here https://techterms.com/definition/https

You may have noticed that these changes may be causing a number of different site issues. We are working with Google and VB to help us find long term solutions to these issues instead of bandage fixes and patches that seem to break more than they repair.

We understand that this is impacting your experience on the site, and we hope you understand that we are working on addressing all issues. We apologize for any inconvenience, and hope to have the forums back up and running asap.

Apologies for the delayed reply! Since we are making these changes on a number of our sites, the number of messages we've received from members is well above it's normal amount, making it harder for us to get through in our usual response time. If you are having issues, please try to only report them if you are certain that they have not already been logged. This will ensure the support team is focused on identifying new issues and helping test the fixes as they are rolled out.

Many thanks!

Erik

Also, @73GTVJim - The issues that you're describing is a known issue, but I believe it had been fixed. If you still get directed to your profile page rather than Like Received, try clearing cache/cookies and give it another try. Let it know how it goes. If it still doesn't work, one thing you can do as a workaround is to click on the number that's under "Like Received" in your Mini Statistics. Clicking there will direct you to your new likes and will clear the notification (once you refresh the page).

Please post feedback, bugs, and questions about the upgrade here:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the-a...l#post12507945
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Also, @73GTVJim - The issues that you're describing is a known issue, but I believe it had been fixed. If you still get directed to your profile page rather than Like Received, try clearing cache/cookies and give it another try. Let it know how it goes. If it still doesn't work, one thing you can do as a workaround is to click on the number that's under "Like Received" in your Mini Statistics. Clicking there will direct you to your new likes and will clear the notification (once you refresh the page).
Hi Erik,

Clearing out the cache had no effect but the workaround does allow me to view, thanks.

Jim

Garage
Quote:
… Also, @73GTVJim - The issues that you're describing is a known issue, but I believe it had been fixed ...
It appeared to be fixed as it was working when I tried it after seeing Jim's post, however it appeared to be broken again a few days later.
(Post Link) post #25 of 25 Old 09-07-18 Thread Starter
testing

Garage

Member car:

Spider/GTA/

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
It appeared to be fixed as it was working when I tried it after seeing Jim's post, however it appeared to be broken again a few days later.
I don't think any fix was applied yet so are you not able to clear your notifications again?

It could be a caching issue.

Lee

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Official AO Problem Discussion Forum > Submit Your Questions / Bugs > The AO Bug Lounge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page