Avatar upside down!!? Help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The AO Bug Lounge
Find an image missing? A page you cannot access? Post it here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bazza

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 12-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

156 2.4 jtd x2

It's rather odd; uploaded a photo normal way (from an iPad) and well, upside down picture- no idea how you fix that! Anyone know?
Thanks in advance
Captain Boogaloo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Try rotating the image 180 degrees, save it & then upload it again.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

It's Apple, who don't re-orientate photos when they're saved, it relies on the image data to tell devices what way up it should be.

And some software (such as uploads to this forum, and many other web based systems) don't use that data, so show it upside down.

But other data (such as windows image editing software) does use the image data - so you can't get it to accept that the image is upside down in the first place in order for you to turn it the right way up and then save it, as David suggests.

It's a PITA. And the solution would be very simple - Apple should change their devices so that they consider the volume buttons upwards to be the 'normal' way up. That way the majority of pictures would be OK even if image data isn't used (since everyone now uses the volume buttons as the capture button).
Admin_Support likes this.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
It's Apple, who don't re-orientate photos when they're saved, it relies on the image data to tell devices what way up it should be.

And some software (such as uploads to this forum, and many other web based systems) don't use that data, so show it upside down.

But other data (such as windows image editing software) does use the image data - so you can't get it to accept that the image is upside down in the first place in order for you to turn it the right way up and then save it, as David suggests.

It's a PITA. And the solution would be very simple - Apple should change their devices so that they consider the volume buttons upwards to be the 'normal' way up. That way the majority of pictures would be OK even if image data isn't used (since everyone now uses the volume buttons as the capture button).
You should work in tech support. That is a fantastic detailed explanation as to the cause of the error which offers no help or advice to the user whatsoever. Give me a call if you need a reference
testing

County: Canada
Garage

Member car:

Spider/GTA/

To add to bazza's fantastic explanation: Android devices are not exempt from this. I believe digital cameras would suffer the same fate with images taken in 'portrait', since you turn the camera 90 degrees to the side.

For Apple users: take your photos with your VOLUME buttons pointing DOWN.
For Android users: take your photos with your HOME button to the RIGHT.

That's the 'base line' the developers chose to match with holding a digital camera flat (ie landscape mode). When you hold your phone upright (ie portrait), it's the same as turning a camera on its side to take a photo.

Dayle

Please post feedback, bugs, and questions about the upgrade here:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the-a...l#post12507945
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

It was commiseration, rather than support, since it's happened to me too. I found no true fix for it.

David is right, but how bloody stupid to design a feature that allows you to use the volume button to take a photo, and then declare that the volumen button on top should be considered upside down.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Not buying an I-bone XXX then?
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Oh, I have an iPhone (otherwise I wouldn't have suffered this issue), and I'm perfectly happy with it. No particular plans to upgrade. I don't really know what the X is. Presumably some kind of halo model if they've also released 8's?
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage

Member car:

166 3.0 & GT 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin_Support View Post
To add to bazza's fantastic explanation: Android devices are not exempt from this. I believe digital cameras would suffer the same fate with images taken in 'portrait', since you turn the camera 90 degrees to the side.

For Apple users: take your photos with your VOLUME buttons pointing DOWN.
For Android users: take your photos with your HOME button to the RIGHT.

That's the 'base line' the developers chose to match with holding a digital camera flat (ie landscape mode). When you hold your phone upright (ie portrait), it's the same as turning a camera on its side to take a photo.

Dayle
Interesting - so you’re saying that Apple have added a flag to an image to indicate its orientation, that may be counter to the actual image orientation - and that not all systems can interpret this attribute?

(And that kinda makes sense - when you rotate your phone 180 degrees to switch between either landscape orientations, the image on your screen will flip 180 degrees - to make it easier for you to view it - but the image the camera is “seeing” will be unchanged.)

So is this a new thing? And if so, is it an Apple thing, or a more general standard?

As a lefty, I’m odds on to be using the camera “upside down” in landscape mode as i’ll want the shutter button on the left. And it’s only in the last few months that I’ve noticed that my uploads to this site end up upside down.

As for solutions - four, potentially:

1) Apple stop adding an orientation tag that no-one else can interpret

2) Everyone else follows Apple’s lead

3) I start using my iPhone “right handed” in landscape mode

4) Apple stop rotating the image onscreen when using the camera app

Guess that’ll be 3) for me, then...

Had the pleasure of: 'Sud Green Cloverleaf | 75 TS | Spider 2.0 Ph 2 | 155 2.0 | 166 Super | 166 3.0 Sportronic | 156 2.5 Q-System | 166 3.0 Sportronic | 146 1.8 | Spider 2.0 Ph 1 | 145 QV | GT 2.0
testing

County: Canada
Garage

Member car:

Spider/GTA/

I'm left handed too :/
I guess lefties have to adapt since we're a minority.

Lee

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Official AO Problem Discussion Forum > Submit Your Questions / Bugs > The AO Bug Lounge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page