Ad blocker - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The AO Bug Lounge
Find an image missing? A page you cannot access? Post it here.

6Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 11-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Ad blocker

Anyone know if you can apply an ad blocker to just one site, this on? Pages are taking an age to load, than as you try to write a post the pages seems to continually refresh. I dont get this with other forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Why would you not want to block all ads?

I use ABP under Firefox and you can add exceptions for specific website.
So the opposite of what you'd like.
Top Down likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 32 Old 12-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I put ABP into Google and got Associated British Ports! Whats the TLA stand for?
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
They've just updated it to deal with Faecesbook blocking ad-blockers too.
(Post Link) post #6 of 32 Old 12-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Got it done it! Freeeeeeeeee at last!!!
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I've replaced AdBlockPlus with uBlock Origin (as recommended by the ABP founder I think). Partly because ABP now allows companies to buy their way on to their whitelist. For Facebook, I use F.B. Purity (those rare occasions I'm on!) as you can edit more of the page than just adverts.
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

I went with Privacy Badger which is particular good at stopping cross site trackers. I don't have an issue with ads per se as that is how many sites are funded and without funding we have no sites. Cross site tracking and profiling as a different matter.
testing

County: Canada
Garage

Member car:

Spider/GTA/

Hey there,

there are less ads if you log in. Are you all seeing them as guests?

Lee
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin_Support View Post
Hey there,

Lee
No, when logged in. Whilst I appreciate you are working for VS and trying to 'monetise' the site if you have a look at your active users and the number of complaints in the bug and forum question lounges you will see that the few people hanging on in here are sick and tired of poor performance, long running scripts, inappropriate ads and all the junk you are pulling to drag money out of the site.

This was for enthusiasts. The more marketing crap you dump on us the fewer site members you will have.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Squidguard obliterates everything ad, tracker and spypware related in our house, on all devices. Whenever I see unfiltered internet, it all seems unusable.

Last edited by rxe; 16-08-16 at 07:59.
AO Platinum Member

VS need the advertisers to give them income to maintain the site. The active members understand that adverts are a fact of life these days but don't want to see them. While monetising the site VS has driven away paying members because the site has become unreliable and deathly quiet a lot of the time. VS has to make up the short fall so adds more adverts, more member leave. It's a vicious circle that only has one ending. AO becomes like a lot of other automotive forums, all advertising and no forum activity for days on end. I predict DP will be saying hello in the chat thread right to the very end though.

County: Cork
Garage
Hello Doom Faff Cat :WAVE:

:EVIL:

Unreliable ? Since the upgrade last year (once the bugs were ironed out) AO is far more reliable than it had been for years, it's also faster. Previous to that DB errors & slow speeds were a regular occurrence, they are now a distant memory, at least for those not wearing rose tinted glasses

Adverts, I don't see any when I'm logged in, I don't use an ad blocker but from the reports I've seen they seem to work well for anyone who doesn't want to see ads.

As for AO being quiet, yes it's quieter these days, as is every other forum I'm a member of, I blame FarceBook & other social media :BBAT:
However I chose to contribute to AO rather than complaining about there being a lack of content & focusing on doom & gloom, the majority of complainers (present company excluded) seem to contribute very little if any content, perhaps they don't see the Irony Alert when they comment on the lack of content :HEADBANG:

Last edited by David P; 16-08-16 at 14:49.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Um, I think you have a problem with whatever is on the end of ad.crwdcntrl.net. It is dog slow on occasion, and you appear to have serialised the loading. Sometimes it works, sometimes it hangs.

That is the problem with modern advertising methods. Some crappy "data company" promises the earth, you have zero control over its performance and the ads it is serving. It most definitely is serving ads to logged in users, I have the fiddler traces to prove it....
testing

Garage

Member car:

Spider/GTA/

hey there,

If you are having long running scripts, stalls, freezes in typing, unresponsive scripts that need a wait or closed then you most likely need to do a bit of clean up and apply some fixes. Unresponsive scripts are extremely common issues with members and moderators across all boards. these issues have a number of troubleshooting ways to fix it.

Shockwave is usually a pretty big factor in this, along with outdated browsers, flash, java, and not having enough processing power on whatever device you are accessing the board with.

Below are common fixes to fix this. video ad's can be turned to "click to play" instead of autplaying. and a few other fixes can be applied as well to streamline your browser experience.

If it is still an issue, it could be a rogue Ad with bad stuff attached potentially.
keep in mind a number of things can cause this, not just the back end. but could be extensions, plugins, malware, etc.

here is the more common fixes for this:

- shockwave being unstable. disabling or deleting this could help
- updating your flash and java to the lastest update
- any rogue extensions that "auto installed" on your browser without you knowing.
- malware or spyware has piggybacked your browser
- hardware acceleration could be incompatible with your system in general. Turn off hardware acceleration on your browser will boost things.
- Rogue Ad causing the issue as well.
- Cookies and cache are outdated and need to be cleaned
- temporary internet files on your back end are flooding and fighting for use. doing a disk clean up could help as well.

You can read more about possible fixes below here. These fixes can also apply to chrome, but would be in different areas.

I hope that helps.

- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ponsive-script

- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...o-fix-problems

- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...s-fix-problems

- Unresponsive Script Warning - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

let me know if any of the above helps to improve.

~Shane

Please post feedback, bugs, and questions about the upgrade here:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the-a...l#post12507945
testing

Garage

Member car:

Spider/GTA/

Quote:
long running scripts, inappropriate ads and all the junk you are pulling to drag money out of the site.
The long running scripts are being dealt with right now. But as for inappropriate ads. Ads in general are different to the individual, so what you see is not the same as the next person. They are set to cater to the individual browser and are based on their surfing experience on the internet. However, if you do see an inappropriate ad in the open forum, please take a screen shot and provide the URL to the ad in a thread or send me a PM. We'll take it down since I'm sure this is removable.

Lee
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Not everyone will get personalised ads though, so those who don't shouldn't get something inappropriate (just a general point)
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
...However, if you do see an inappropriate ad in the open forum, please take a screen shot and provide the URL to the ad in a thread or send me a PM. We'll take it down since I'm sure this is removable.

Lee
Victoria Brides
Hi I'm Anna, 29, from Ukraine

I'm not bothered about crap from Groupon, hell I check their site from time to time, but I'm not in the habit of online dating. Unless you are telling me my partner of 25 years has gone Bertie and wants to marry a lady.

It's pretty poor, if I am honest.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
They are set to cater to the individual browser and are based on their surfing experience on the internet.
Or, in other words, information gathered by the numerous trackers active on AO.
Unregistered

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Hey there,

Lee
What do you think?

Everyone that has posted on this thread are long term members why would they view and post not logged in :roll:
AO Platinum Member

FYI I am getting a lot of these when viewing AO using Firefox with ad-blocker

Last edited by Keithy; 30-03-17 at 08:24.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Best way I've found of dealing with this site is to disable javascript. Only downside is you can't "like" posts but the adverts are gone.
AO Platinum Member

My AdBlocker tells me it is currently blocking 16 adverts on this page, and it's blocked 213,909 in total since I installed it. Now add to that the previous adblockers I've had on this Mac and a previous PC and you get the feeling the total adverts blocked must be in the millions. Not all on AO of course but the number of AO adverts blocked must be substantial.

Maybe VS should re-think their monetising strategy instead of complaining to the members, some of whom had previously paid the 25 per year to be here. Who have got so tired and frustrated with the database errors, site slowdowns and lack of a clear advantage to being a paying member that they, like me, thought **** it I'll keep my money.

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
... Who have got so tired and frustrated with the database errors, site slowdowns ...
Replying at the risk of repeating myself

Constant DB errors & site slowdowns ceased with the introduction of the AO update in April 2015, for me at least, & there's rarely a comment from other users about DB errors or slowdowns in the relevant thread anymore which previously was a very active

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
... and lack of a clear advantage to being a paying member that they, like me, thought **** it I'll keep my money.
Speaking as a previously long time paying Premio Member I always paid more for the value I got from AO, that being information, money saving & time enjoyed here, although I appreciate I could have had all that for free, however I decided to pay, my money, my choice
Some of the benefits of being a Club Member include/d extra PMs, IMs, bigger attachment limits, custom smilies (invaluable :EVIL: ), no waiting between searches, & more storage etc. I considered these perks rather that a justification to pay.

During the last couple of years some of the benefits for Basic (free) Members have been increased, PM limits have increased, attachment size limits have also increased as have the storage limits, there's also 100s of smilies for all (again invaluable ) I see this as a positive thing
Yes I suppose you could consider those increases have reduced the benefits of being a paying member however there's still the option to pay if you want to (again for whatever reason) & the Medio option has been re-introduced, as they say "you can't please all of the people all of the time"
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Speaking as a previously long time paying Premio Member I always paid more for the value I got from AO, that being information, money saving & time enjoyed here, although I appreciate I could have had all that for free, however I decided to pay, my money, my choice
Some of the benefits of being a Club Member include/d extra PMs, IMs, bigger attachment limits, custom smilies (invaluable :EVIL: ), no waiting between searches, & more storage etc. I considered these perks rather that a justification to pay.

During the last couple of years some of the benefits for Basic (free) Members have been increased, PM limits have increased, attachment size limits have also increased as have the storage limits, there's also 100s of smilies for all (again invaluable ) I see this as a positive thing
Yes I suppose you could consider those increases have reduced the benefits of being a paying member however there's still the option to pay if you want to (again for whatever reason) & the Medio option has been re-introduced, as they say "you can't please all of the people all of the time"

All valid points I'm sure. In your own world.

But, as you contribute very little from a technical perspective, you are effectively paying for your own spam. I don't see why I should pay for your off topic gratification.

Particularly when I offer technical advice almost exclusively.

People don't join car forums because they crave "brand specific banter" which in this case is clique to the point of being another language.

People join because they need help or advice from a technical perspective.

OT Lounges have 2.8m posts. Tech lounges 2.3m.

Tech lounges will be 10/1 noise v's valid contributions.

WOT is all spam.

So as far as I'm concerned, David P, kindly STFU. And take your silly "exclusive" smileys with you.

(Seriously? You're only argument relates to 8bit emojis!?)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Official AO Problem Discussion Forum > Submit Your Questions / Bugs > The AO Bug Lounge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page