Moved to Devon and 2.4 jtd clutch gone, should I scrap, sell or fix? Please help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
South West Avon, Cornwall, Devon, Gloucestershire, Somerset

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Moved to Devon and 2.4 jtd clutch gone, should I scrap, sell or fix? Please help!

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post5343497
Hi, I've been using this forum to guide me through the various quandaries that Alfa ownership has hurled at me. My pop got me hooked after I borrowed his near identical alfa last year. I picked Alfredo up last summer with 130k fully serviced one owner miles, it's the 2002 lusso model with cream leather and bose stereo. I replaced the cambelt and water pump to give me some years with my love and had a full service.

Last month I moved to Yelverton in Devon, and away from the safety of my friendly mechanic in Hampshire. I spent all my savings on the move, and now without warning the clutch seems to have gone.

I drove home from work fine and parked next to garage, then when I went out later the car declutched and went into gear but on releasing the pedal just made a whirring noise and burning smell. Same for all gears. I live next door to a garage and they came and looked whilst I was at work, and told me I needed a new clutch and dmf. Quoted 140 clutch 300 dmf and 8hours labour at 45quid ph.

I can't afford the bill but I don't want to scrap Alfredo because he was amazing before this happened. My partner doesn't want me to spend any more money on the alfa because she sees it as throwing good money after bad. I love the car and there isn't anything else for the same money that interests me at all. It's frustrating as I wanted to fit a new clutch when I was in Hampshire as my mechanic would have done it for 300 all in, but I needed the cash for the move. I am actually quite handy with a spanner, but I don't have a lot of time and I can't risk messing up the expensive new parts!

So please offer any advice, I think I have these options:

Sell the car as spares/repairs and buy a runabout (anyone interested, will anyone want a 156 with no clutch?)
Find a friendly mechanic and ask him to do it at his leisure (anyone know someone down here?)
Buy another alfa and salvage the parts off it (is this viable?)
List the car as breaking and strip it myself selling bits on ebay (how much does this return and do you get much for what's left as scrap?)
Buy used clutch and dmf (is it worth it?)
Just fit a new clutch and leave the flywheel til I have more money
Get a loan or credit card and just pay to get the whole job done when the car isn't worth a lot more than the total bill

I really am in a pickle and can't decide what to do. I can probably scrape together 500 quid if I sell some bicycles. Any advice would be very warmly received!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

lisknik

Shame your not closer to Bristol, we have a brilliant local Indie up here

AO Member

County: Cornwall
I can't see how they know about a flywheel until its in bits. Clutch and possible thrust ring - screw it together. If the clutch is rough get rid of it.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 09-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
I actually drove it yesterday, have to dump the clutch but it went okay. Regardless, I've had to pick up a new vehicle to get about in.

As a result this one is for sale as is. It's located in Crapstone, Yelverton. MOT until Sept. It's got tax until End Aug, though I did just declare it SORN.

Full service history, one owner before me, cambelt done 12k ago, and interior in beautiful condition. Just need to slap in a new clutch.

PM me with offers and when you could pick up!

Cheers,

Will

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > South West

Tags
clutch , devon , fix , jtd , moved , scrap , sell

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page