A361 North Devon Link Road - Driver & User experiences? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
South West Avon, Cornwall, Devon, Gloucestershire, Somerset

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 23-02-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 729
County: Devon
A361 North Devon Link Road - Driver & User experiences?

Please note that the following request has received permission from the AO Administrators.......

Hello fellow Alfisti in Devon

I wonder if I may ask you (and your friends and family), please, about their experiences of accidents and near misses on the N Devon Linkroad? I am particularly interested in winter time accidents and near misses, but don't restrict those not caused by inclement weather.

My Daughter had a recent, blackice (police report) carsmash, when using this trunkroad in otherwise dry,clear, cold conditions. 2 other members of my family are also injured.

My Daughter has a lifechanging injury

IMHO, my continuing researches, (into causes, salting-services & council-controls, etc ) allow me to conclude that the decision to salt or not to salt Devon roads could be skewed by Council policy to avoid waste, i.e. salt & money.

That scares me.

If I'm correct, I believe that the policy must be challenged.

I believe that my researches will be more productive if more informed-opinion can be obtained, and shared, especially when it is via a respected Forum. Particularly if we can gain knowledge of specific locations which are prone to accidents and near misses

Please use Private Messaging or seek my phone number, if it will help. All contact will treated as strictly confidential.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 26 Old 26-02-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Re: A361 - Driver & User experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopranofan View Post
Please note that the following request has received permission from the AO Administrators.......

Hello fellow Alfisti in Devon

I wonder if I may ask you (and your friends and family), please, about their experiences of accidents and near misses on the N Devon Linkroad? I am particularly interested in winter time accidents and near misses, but don't restrict those not caused by inclement weather.

My Daughter had a recent, blackice (police report) carsmash, when using this trunkroad in otherwise dry,clear, cold conditions. 2 other members of my family are also injured.

My Daughter has a lifechanging injury

IMHO, my continuing researches, (into causes, salting-services & council-controls, etc ) allow me to conclude that the decision to salt or not to salt Devon roads could be skewed by Council policy to avoid waste, i.e. salt & money.

That scares me.

If I'm correct, I believe that the policy must be challenged.

I believe that my researches will be more productive if more informed-opinion can be obtained, and shared, especially when it is via a respected Forum. Particularly if we can gain knowledge of specific locations which are prone to accidents and near misses

Please use Private Messaging or seek my phone number, if it will help. All contact will treated as strictly confidential.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

Thank you in advance.
Ok, over 20 readers, but no replies . Mmmmmm. Thank you for looking.....it would be good to have your opinions, though.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Re: A361 North Devon Link Road - Driver & User experiences?

tend to only use it in the spring/summer/autumn when i visit my mum. I do however think that it is inherently a dangerous road as it is frustrating to drive on and the short lengths that you are able to overtake on soon come to an end and when its busy you need the pateince of a saint to drive it, in fact dont be in toomuch of a hurry on this road as there ate also saftey cameras dotted along its length.

I know thats not what you are looking for but hey!
(Post Link) post #4 of 26 Old 27-02-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dunamis View Post
tend to only use it in the spring/summer/autumn when i visit my mum. I do however think that it is inherently a dangerous road as it is frustrating to drive on and the short lengths that you are able to overtake on soon come to an end and when its busy you need the pateince of a saint to drive it, in fact dont be in toomuch of a hurry on this road as there ate also saftey cameras dotted along its length.

I know thats not what you are looking for but hey!
Many thanks for your reply. At least you (and yours?) are now aware of a risk which is hiding in isolated spots on that road, and are safer for our efforts. I fear for those who aren't as aware.
Guess I need to try to use the pyramid technique to gather more views & opinions. Do you have two contacts in N Devon who would be prepared to start that off, please?
(Post Link) post #5 of 26 Old 28-02-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Many thanks for your reply. At least you (and yours?) are now aware of a risk which is hiding in isolated spots on that road, and are safer for our efforts. I fear for those who aren't as aware.
Guess I need to try to use the pyramid technique to gather more views & opinions. Do you have two contacts in N Devon who would be prepared to start that off, please?
BUMP

Over 50 readers of this thread now.........please add opinions & views, it'll help
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Hey Sopranofan, I dont know if you remember but two years ago 2 men were killed in a crash near the tesco roundabout heading towards South Molton. That was a distant member of our family, I must admit I have never had a problem on that road, and i was travelling it everyday when i was working in swindon...but.....when I have seen tractors on the that road holding the traffic up people seem to get really impatient and take silly risks

Sorry to hear about what happened
(Post Link) post #7 of 26 Old 28-02-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe005 View Post
Hey Sopranofan, I dont know if you remember but two years ago 2 men were killed in a crash near the tesco roundabout heading towards South Molton. That was a distant member of our family, I must admit I have never had a problem on that road, and i was travelling it everyday when i was working in swindon...but.....when I have seen tractors on the that road holding the traffic up people seem to get really impatient and take silly risks

Sorry to hear about what happened
Cheers for your support, Bud. Did you know that, in 6 years to Feb 2007, there were 2 fatalities, 6 serious injuries, 26 slight injuries and 42 damage-only accidents......in just one 2 MILE STRETCH , alone, of the A361!!!....I'm trying to find out which time of the year is worst.

Do you know 2 other people who would be prepared to offer their opinions & views, please?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

I'll get in touch with the direct family and see if they are interested in giving any kind of statement
jason_app

I used to live in barnstaple and south molton and used to drive the link road everyday through the 10 mile stretch from barnstaple to south molton which was not too bad a piece of road tbh. I also used to drive the entire length from barnstaple to tiverton everyday, day and night. This is the worst section especially at the highest point when the fog rolls in but people dont drive according to the change in conditions. I have seen various accidents along the road myself. Seems to me people come down to north devon from driving on dual carriageways and motorways and dont adapt quick enough to the stupid three lane design and the blind hills of the link road which appears to have caused as many accidents as the weather conditions.

I didnt personally have any accidents or problems with the road but having lived around it for 15 years so i guess i was well aware of its dangers and knew everypart of the roads corners, hills and three lane sections inside out.

safe driving guys.

Jase

AO Member

Member car:

155 1.8TS 8V

It's a lot better since they put double white lines between the opposing traffic on the 2-lane sections. Before that was done it was quite hairy!
jason_app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbouk View Post
It's a lot better since they put double white lines between the opposing traffic on the 2-lane sections. Before that was done it was quite hairy!
Haha, yea i remember coming down the long hill between barny and bideford basically playing chicken. Two of you in the middle lane heading towards each other seeing who would pull in first lol. Really bad when you look back at it now.

AO Member

Member car:

155 1.8TS 8V

Yeah very bad! On that particular stretch sometimes I wish it was still like it...
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Just a suggestion for the OP ...

Have a look at this site and maybe post a request for info. on the forum there:
SABRE - The Society for All British Road Enthusiasts

The safety recod of this road is discussed quite often and there may be people who can assist.
jason_app

Yea when you get stuck behind a truck or sunday driver it seems to take forever to get down and up the other side.

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

Drove from barnstaple to the M5 yesterday, HUGE tailback as far as i could see in my mirror.A Lorry. All those places to pull over but they dont.Some People towing caravans are just as bad, and there's no need for it. Last time i used that road a Van overtook me just before the little chef roundabout (second south moulton turning towards Barnstaple) He must have been doing 70-80mph and just missed me.He went in the right lane which is now right only not right and straight on as it used to be. But he went straight on nearly hitting two cars on the roundabout.Also had a good friend killed a few years ago on that road.I Hate it!

Anonima Lambarda Fabbrica automobili
(Post Link) post #16 of 26 Old 04-03-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_app View Post
Haha, yea i remember coming down the long hill between barny and bideford basically playing chicken. Two of you in the middle lane heading towards each other seeing who would pull in first lol. Really bad when you look back at it now.
Mmmmm, isn't between barny and bideford the A39, Mate?
The bit that I'm 'campaigning' about is between South Molton & Tiverton. Can you offer any opinions about your (or nearest & dearest's) experiences along that stretch, please?
(Post Link) post #17 of 26 Old 04-03-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrofoglio View Post

The safety recod of this road is discussed quite often and there may be people who can assist.
Many thanks. What's the 'OP'?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Opening Poster...ie you
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Over 50 readers of this thread now.........please add opinions & views, it'll help
I'm afraid I can't add much as I don't know the road!
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Used to rep around this patch, didn't have any road problems myself. Sorry to hear about the accident.
(Post Link) post #21 of 26 Old 04-03-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe005 View Post
Opening Poster...ie you
Aaaaah I understand!!!!
(Post Link) post #22 of 26 Old 07-03-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Well Happy Re: A361 North Devon Link Road - Driver & User experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrofoglio View Post

Hey, THANKS BUDDY , for putting that EXCELLENT INFO my way. See, we Yorkshiremen work best in pairs, eh? TAKE A LOOK AT THE SABRE WEBSITE, AND IT'S FORUM SUBJECT.......'GRITTING POLICY PUTS LIVES AT RISK'..... a subject in full flow before I even joined in
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Glad you found it helpful
(Post Link) post #24 of 26 Old 13-09-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Hi all. Some while since I posted anything to add to this topic...............but I can report support for my researches & campaigning for heightened winter roadsafety.

Support is from the Highways Agency, whose National Winter Team Leader met me for 4 hours ..........they were asked to contact me by/because I wrote to the Under Secretary of State @ Dept for Transport.
Seems they may use some of my suggestions to reword their 2009 leaflet ('Driving in Severe Weather'), plus lots of other ideas that I've proposed . If anyone's interested in what I've proposed, please ask & I'll eMail the detail.

I would really value some feedback, now, from this Forum (& from as many of their nearest & dearest & friends, please) feedback with answers to the following questions.

During the 2008/9 winter period:
1) Did you see any leaflets advising motorists about winter-driving?
2) At which location(s) did you see such leaflet(s)?
3)Which authority producd the leaflet(s)?
4) What was your opinion about the leaflet(s)?
5)Have you any suggestionsto make about 1)to 4), above?

I hope by this means to simultaneously raise as many peoples' awareness about the availability of winter leaflets & the advice therein.
Many thanks
jay w

whilst i have not been affected by this road, nor have i travelled on it, i applaud what you have done and wish to success in the future with your campaign....

If anyone can assist please do

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > South West

Tags
a361 , devon , driver , experiences , link , north , road , user

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page