Lots of Newbie questions and a Hello! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
South West Avon, Cornwall, Devon, Gloucestershire, Somerset

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 05-09-08 Thread Starter

County: Somerset

Member car:

Alfa maybe....

Lots of Newbie questions and a Hello!

Hi boys and girls,

Please bare with me,total mong when it comes to Alfa Romeos.

Firstly Heres 1 of the cars i want to get..(should be a pic below,stolen from auto trader)
2005 ALFA ROMEO GT 2.0 JTS Lusso 2dr Coupe(petrol)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...silveralfa.jpg

Just wondering on reliability issues as they are italian and having used to own italian bikes,electronics were always an issue compared to jap stuff.

Any good honest dealers in the Somerset area?

Insurance,im only 22 with previous....high?

Basically i dont want to spend a large amount of money and have it break down on a monthly basis....when for the same amount,i could get a honda civic type R or a Volvo T5.......

thanks for your time.

Jewell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Lots of Newbie questions and a Hello!

I've sent you a PM, ok two PMs () that answers most of your questions.

Some of them can be un-reliable admittedly but for the most part they're perfectly fine.

Insurance depends on the car really, if you got a 147 it wouldn't be high for a 22 year old whereas if you went for the higher spec Alfas then you might be getting in to high country a bit.

- Dan
AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

GTV CUP 47

Well, I will try to keep it simple!
Insurance = Easy. Get some quotes.
Try not to compare Alfa with Jap cars. People that buy Italian car and also British car buy with their hearts and not looking for computers on wheels, where no thought goes into how the car is styled.
If something is telling you this is the car for you (when you have checked the car out also!) and everyone and everything is telling you "Ohh Alfa Romeo, don't they have a lot of problems?" but you still think YES I'M GONNA HAVE IT, WHAT THE HELL ! Then it's the car for you! I'm on my 3rd (GTV/Spider) and no problems.
Alfa are styled to the max, full of passion and is a great affordable bit of petrol head kit. Ever car has it's faults but the question really is - Could I go through life with out a Alfa!!!!
Do it and just make sure she has been cared for and the owner has looked after her. It's a stunner.
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire

you cant beat an alfa for a combination of style/driving pleasure/engine noise. sure there are better cars out there but an alfa makes you feel special and always manages to put a smile on your face!

im still on my first alfa, a 2001 twin spark GTV, ive had it since jan 05 and its still going strong. the only thing thats wrong with it is that i no longer feel it is quick enough and im after a GTV 3.0.

as long as you keep an eye on the oil level you shouldnt have a problem, the more modern alfas, GT included are more reliable than people are led to believe. so dont be put off be people who only know alfa romeo because of the old tag of unreliability! listen to the people who know!

and welcome to AO fella

(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 05-09-08 Thread Starter

County: Somerset

Member car:

Alfa maybe....

i know what ya mean Big D,had the exact same thought process myself with buying a new bike...point less buying new but **** it.....

thanks guys.
AO Member

Member car:

I, like Bootneck boy, am a newcomer to Alfa. When you say "keep an eye on the oil" I get a bit scared. I wouldn't have a clue how to keep an eye on the oil. Is there not a warning light comes on if the level is low and one should take it to the garage for them to fill up? Or are you saying one should open the bonnet and check with a dipstick? I don't know how to open the bonnet!
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire

yes, get under the bonnet and check with the dipstick! its one of the easiest but most important jobs to do. not just alfas, any cars. except korean stuff, we can just let them die!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > South West

Tags
lots , newbie , questions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page