Garages in Bristol? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
South West Avon, Cornwall, Devon, Gloucestershire, Somerset

(Post Link) post #1 of 55 Old 04-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garages in Bristol?

Hey there peeps how are you all?! Got the new car - and the garage who have serviced her for the past few years have not got any record of changing the cambelt over - basically I need to get it changed there are two that I have found - One in Brislington (Simonstone Alfa) One in Fishponds which has been recommended but Does anyone know of any others? And is there a way you can tell if the Cam belt actually even needs replacing?

Cheers

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

EP3 Type R

Re: Garages in Bristol?

dont know of any garages around that area, the only way to know if the cambelt needs doing is if its gone 35,000 miles without one...............good luck
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

I would use Duncan Slade (through Alfanet, Fishponds) everytime. Top quality work, decent prices and a decent fella to boot!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Audi S6 5.2 V10

L C MOTORS just over the bridge in Newport seem to have a good rep although ive not used them.
(Post Link) post #5 of 55 Old 05-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Nice one guys Ill check it out - shes booked in with a franchise dealer called Simonstone in brislington Bristol - as they are the only people who could do the cam and the variator belt all before the weekend - but next time and for servicing Im gonna try Duncan Alfanet - do they service and MOT as well?
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

Duncan does services, and will take your car to a guy he trusts for MOT's.

I've heard some things about Simonstone on here... really might be worth doing a search and checking it out.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Clio 197

Simonstone are no longer a sales dealer - just a service one. I would never buy a car from them after a very bad experience of them 2 years ago.

We used to have an Alfa dealer in Melksham but that was sold to Mitsubishi UK. They still have an Alfa shield on the building suggesting they can do servicing, but according to the Alfa website they are not a service agent.

I seam to recall there was a really independent in Bristol, but I can't for the life of me remember who they are.
(Post Link) post #8 of 55 Old 19-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ahhh well their service department was actually very good - well I mean to do:
The Cam Belt, Variator Belt, and regrease the gear **** linkages as it was sticking it cost
£633 is that a good deal or was I ripped off?

Cheers

Andy
Darren156

Duncan Slade charges £480 for a cambelt, variator and water pump change, so yeah, you were slightly ripped off,

(Post Link) post #10 of 55 Old 22-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

dam :-( no good
Darren156

Sorry mate, but we did say, Did they do the water pump whilst they were at it?

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal_el View Post
Ahhh well their service department was actually very good - well I mean to do:
The Cam Belt, Variator Belt, and regrease the gear **** linkages as it was sticking it cost
£633 is that a good deal or was I ripped off?

Cheers

Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren156 View Post
Duncan Slade charges £480 for a cambelt, variator and water pump change, so yeah, you were slightly ripped off,

Why do you think he was ripped off ??? They were more expensive but what are their costs ????? Just being more expensive does not in itself mean he was ripped off If you found out each companies costs you 'might' find out that it was Duncan doing the ripping off You don't know enough to make that judgement. All you can say is Duncan is cheaper.

Darren156

Nope, fair shout Gibbo, you are right mate, he wasn't 'ripped off', just paid slightly more than what Duncan would have charged him. But then he would have paid less than what an Alfa Dealer direct would have charged, that's a grand worth of work at Alfa,

So really, you weren't over charged as such, just paid a bit more than you could have, but nah, you did alright.

(Post Link) post #14 of 55 Old 24-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Phew - I guess thats alright then - its so difficult finding people to service and work on Alfas and people you can trust honestly! But since that work - that car is awesome, I love em. cheers for all your help fellas

County: Somerset

Member car:

Alfa GTV

Last time I took my wife's Fiat into Simonstone in Bristol to be serviced, they tried to charge me for a total of 9 hours work all told. I dropped the car off at 10am and drove it away at 3.30pm, I leave you to work it out!
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

alfa gt

[QUWe used to have an Alfa dealer in Melksham but that was sold to Mitsubishi UK. They still have an Alfa shield on the building suggesting they can do servicing, but according to the Alfa website they are not a service agent.OTE][/QUOTE] hi they are again a alfa service agent, used them a few months back
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo

Duncan rocks - I wouldn't use anyone else. Phone him direct on 07968488942
AO Member

County: Renfrewshire

Member car:

GTV

Duncan Slade at AlfaNet is basically just a man with spanner with a interest / background in Alfas and Fiat, though he does other cars. He's a bit 'informal' so it depends on what you're after. Personally, I prefer someone who if he says, turn up at 2pm and I turn up at 2pm, I don't have to wait around for 40 mins whilst he services a Merc and chats with this Merc mate. He's a bit too informal for my liking but each to their own.

I'm going to try LC Motors in Newport. Shame really, because there isn't really a big indie in Bristol. Automeo is also a bit small.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard View Post
Automeo is also a bit small.
And not very good IMHO.....
Darren156

What Mave said. Auto-meo is a dodgy rip off merchant, He goes on about Alfa's yet drives a Jap motor and the only Alfa I see him have is some old thing stuck in the garage rotting away.

I've had 'issues' with him in the past.

Duncan is VERY informal and if you are on time constraints possibly not the best bloke to go to, but if you want the job done properly without being ripped off then I do highly recommend him.

Unregistered

County: Wiltshire

I'm near Chippenham/Swindon, you get the parts and I'll fit them for £50, just need to know if it's the 120 or 105Bhp engine. Just PM me you chassis # and I'll find out.

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Not Happy Automeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren156 View Post
What Mave said. Auto-meo is a dodgy rip off merchant, He goes on about Alfa's yet drives a Jap motor and the only Alfa I see him have is some old thing stuck in the garage rotting away.

I've had 'issues' with him in the past.

Duncan is VERY informal and if you are on time constraints possibly not the best bloke to go to, but if you want the job done properly without being ripped off then I do highly recommend him.
I'd agree with you on the comment about Automeo, I've had dealings with him but never again. He seemed more interested in 'the press' coming round to interview him than getting my car fixed. In a nut shell he's slow at doing the work, he talks far too much and his prices are a rip off.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo

Duncan Slade might be a bit 'informal' but he will always be on the level with you and he does a good job. He is perfectly happy if you stand and watch while he works and he will describe what he is doing and why. He will also loan you a courtesy car (not a new one!) if you need one - subject to availability. No flash show room, no service manager's salary and pension plan to pay for. Just a high level of expertise and good work at a reasonable cost. You can call him on 07968488942
AO Member

County: Bristol
deleted

Last edited by Mountain goat; 28-12-10 at 17:29. Reason: deleted/irrelevant
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain goat View Post
I've used Duncan Slade's garage for the past 3 years and of the four bookings, three were double booked. To top it off this year, the service and mot took a slight twist. Service was fine but mot failed due to handbrake issue; the car stayed overnight and got re-tested the following morning. New brake pads were fitted, and mot passed. I then took the car away, and found the mot failure paperwork for a fiat coupe - mine hadn't failed and had no advisories. And the car had 30 miles extra on the clock, my passenger seat used and service folder crushed by foot by whoever sat in that seat. So I assume the car didn't stay locked up over night. Now I have no trust, my gtv is going elsewhere. He may be cheap, but lying is something I don't have time for.

I'm currently looking for another garage...
I'll be down there tomorrow - I'll have a word, see what he says.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > South West

Tags
bristol , garages

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page