New Indy mobile mechanic 5* - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
South West Avon, Cornwall, Devon, Gloucestershire, Somerset

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 23-03-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

Brera 2.2JTS SV

Thumbs Up New Indy mobile mechanic 5*

Had the dreaded “Have Engine Checked” warning light come up on my Brera 2.2jts SV last week. Looked for a mobile mechanic on Google and found a guy called Wesley Heimann operating as WJH Mobile Mechanic based in Bridgwater phone 07821825259 but covers Somerset. Came out within a couple of days (said it would usually be quicker but had just got a surge of work due to cold weather). Plugged in his laptop, found timing issues, recalibrated and tuned, but also found an oil issue although the car had only done 1500 miles since last service and indicator on dash was showing full. He expected the oil hadn’t been topped up after the new oil filter and I shouldn’t take notice of the dash and physically check it in future. The car now runs superbly. He did all this for £40. He undertakes all kinds of work from fixes to full services, knows his stuff. Check him out as I highly recommend him and will certainly deal with him again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
What were the fault codes?

Removing the VVT solenoids and giving them a clean off is good practice on these engines, as poor oil flow can cause the timing not to advance/retard as much as it should and then you get timing errors. Also, the timing chains can stretch giving timing errors, but these errors usually come back within a few miles. Definitely dip the oil manually on flat ground, ideally with a hot engine, but give it 5 minutes after switching off before you dip it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 25-03-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.2JTS SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
What were the fault codes?

Removing the VVT solenoids and giving them a clean off is good practice on these engines, as poor oil flow can cause the timing not to advance/retard as much as it should and then you get timing errors. Also, the timing chains can stretch giving timing errors, but these errors usually come back within a few miles. Definitely dip the oil manually on flat ground, ideally with a hot engine, but give it 5 minutes after switching off before you dip it.
Didn’t get the error codes as I’m not that knowledgeable to understand them anyway thanks for the info regarding the VVT solenoids and checking oil level. How do you clean them? Certainly learnt a lesson there, just assumed the indicator on the dash when you first start up would be correct. So far so good, done about 100 Miles now and no warnings. Hoped the timing belt hadn’t stretched as I know that’s expensive
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyBrera View Post
Didn’t get the error codes as I’m not that knowledgeable to understand them anyway thanks for the info regarding the VVT solenoids and checking oil level. How do you clean them? Certainly learnt a lesson there, just assumed the indicator on the dash when you first start up would be correct. So far so good, done about 100 Miles now and no warnings. Hoped the timing belt hadn’t stretched as I know that’s expensive
Shame they weren't noted down before being deleted, we'd have been able to have a guess at the potential cause of them then, but it doesn't really matter now.

Solenoids are under the top engine cover, they're held in by a single bolt but can be quite tight to remove. They're covered by a metal gauze filter, which often gets clogged with debris. Just wash it all off in brake/clutch cleaner or something like that, then refit.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 26-03-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.2JTS SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Shame they weren't noted down before being deleted, we'd have been able to have a guess at the potential cause of them then, but it doesn't really matter now.

Solenoids are under the top engine cover, they're held in by a single bolt but can be quite tight to remove. They're covered by a metal gauze filter, which often gets clogged with debris. Just wash it all off in brake/clutch cleaner or something like that, then refit.
Ok, thanks for the tip.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 17-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.2JTS SV

Vvt valve

Hi, my mechanic has told me I need a new ‘Exhaust Cam VVT valve’ as cleaning the one I had didn’t work and the joint in the middle of it seems lose. So, Alfa Romeo wanted £150 for one! Alfa Workshop charge £84 for an ‘Electro valve Exhaust. Exhaust cam operating solenoid’ part number 71773494. Is that the same part? Thanks in advance.

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyBrera View Post
Hi, my mechanic has told me I need a new ‘Exhaust Cam VVT valve’ as cleaning the one I had didn’t work and the joint in the middle of it seems lose. So, Alfa Romeo wanted £150 for one! Alfa Workshop charge £84 for an ‘Electro valve Exhaust. Exhaust cam operating solenoid’ part number 71773494. Is that the same part? Thanks in advance.
Try asking in the Tech Lounge Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > South West

Tags
indy , mechanic , mobile

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page