I'm coming back! :D - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
South Scotland All events and potential meets in South Scotland

(Post Link) post #1 of 75 Old 29-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Glasgow
I'm coming back! :D

Talking to the wife today.

She has said I can buy a 156! Have to say the MX-5 has been very impressive (have not had to take it to chicks since its MOT and service! ) But I never really fell in love with it so we are going to put it through its MOT in April and then sell it and get a 156!

It will be a of a step down from the 166 but I'm hoping it will be a hell of allot cheaper to run! I'm even considering a... diesel!

Hope to be back at the meetings by late spring.

Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 75 Old 30-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

This place is certinaly quiter than I remember,

And shes wanting a 147 not 156. Acorrding to the specs on Autotrader they are really slow! Unless I get a GTA!
AO Member

County: Fife
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_the_flat View Post
This place is certinaly quiter than I remember,

And shes wanting a 147 not 156. Acorrding to the specs on Autotrader they are really slow! Unless I get a GTA!
Not as slow as the specs suggest, they are very revy and chuckable - well the petrol ones are. Has she seen the GT?
(Post Link) post #4 of 75 Old 31-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I think a GT would be a wee bit over our buget, BUt I would love to get one!

Last edited by stu_the_flat; 31-01-11 at 08:19.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire
Get yourself a 2.4MJet 175bhp. They are not slow. They are in fact bloody quick in gear and can be chipped to be even quicker for not a lot of money.
(Post Link) post #6 of 75 Old 31-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Cheers Frazer,

I think thats what I'm wanting is a 156, 2.4 JTD (preferably facelift) with leather and buttons on the steering wheel!

Nothing on the market at the minute that fits the bill so I will happliy wait until something tasty comes along!

Cheers Stuart
AO Silver Member

Member car:

500 twinair

Be good to have you back Stu!

I've mostly owned 2.0s (and the GTA) and always thought the 1.6 twinsparks would feel slow but I've got a 147 1.6 Lusso 5 door just now and I think it feels much closer to 2.0 performance than the figures suggest.
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
Quote:
I think a GT would be a wee bit over our buget, BUt I would love to get one!
You're welcome to have a whirl in my GT JTD if you wish. Just to whet the diseasel appetit
(Post Link) post #9 of 75 Old 31-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Cheers Guys,

YOur enjoying your GT then steve? I know you where reluctant to go down the deseil route, Cheers for the offer I suspect the GT will be a really nice car but I simply can't afford to buy one.

Not sure what my alfa buying stratagy is going to be. but I am simply not going down the "maintain at all costs" route that I took with the 166. I'm hoping get something that is a good bit cheaper to run. (not difficult) and a 5 door 147, 1.6 or 2.0 certinly don't cost much to buy plus it is the car my wife wants.

but the 156, 2.4 also looks like a good car. hmmmm
(Post Link) post #10 of 75 Old 31-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

dinomito

Got a very low mileage 147 2.0 t spark lusso 5 door coming to us as part ex for a Giulietta in about 2 months. It's a dark blue 2003 car with 24k on the clock.
PM me if you're interested Stu
cheers
Graham

(Post Link) post #12 of 75 Old 31-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I'll bite! I've sent you a PM, I relise that I'm quite tired as I've asked you some questions that are answered in this post!

I think I'll go to bed now!

Cheers Stuart
AO Silver Member

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

There's a wee 147 in Western Edinburgh, Silver 57 plate that's only done 9,507 miles and costs £7,480. Might be out of your budget or I might have bought it by then. It's a cracker, actually thinking on trading in my MiTo for it.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Cheers Guys,

YOur enjoying your GT then steve? I know you where reluctant to go down the deseil route, Cheers for the offer I suspect the GT will be a really nice car but I simply can't afford to buy one.

Not sure what my alfa buying stratagy is going to be. but I am simply not going down the "maintain at all costs" route that I took with the 166. I'm hoping get something that is a good bit cheaper to run. (not difficult) and a 5 door 147, 1.6 or 2.0 certinly don't cost much to buy plus it is the car my wife wants.

but the 156, 2.4 also looks like a good car. hmmmm
Hmmm. Love the GT but the jury is out on this one at he moment. She has hacked me off as has been a fecking money pit over the last 3 months. Clutch + DMF, done at same time as service, MOT and cam belt/waterpump. OK all routine stuff, and the clutch could have happened on any car admittedly but it didn't go down well in the Stesco household. Copious serving of cold shoulder after that one . . . .
Then the bleddy upper arms had to be done - again - last week (ones from buypartsby squeaking after just 5k miles, shot to pieces after 11k miles. Sent back for refund as guaranteed for one year apparently) and the tie rod was gone too, as were the front drop links (also changed at the same time as the upper arms). lesson learned though - buy cheap buy twice and given the state of our roads I should hardly be suprised . . .
Rants above aside, I do love the GT and the 1.9 is a sweet engine. Pulls like a train, and 500 miles to a tank in mixed driving so can't complain. Oh and she is absolutely gorgeous.
Hopefully though that is it with the big bills for a while . . . . Getting sick of making excuses for it.

Si puo nascere Alfista, si puo anche diventare Alfista.
Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

(Post Link) post #15 of 75 Old 01-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StescoG66 View Post
Hmmm. Love the GT but the jury is out on this one at he moment. She has hacked me off as has been a fecking money pit over the last 3 months. Clutch + DMF, done at same time as service, MOT and cam belt/waterpump. OK all routine stuff, and the clutch could have happened on any car admittedly but it didn't go down well in the Stesco household. Copious serving of cold shoulder after that one . . . .
Then the bleddy upper arms had to be done - again - last week (ones from buypartsby squeaking after just 5k miles, shot to pieces after 11k miles. Sent back for refund as guaranteed for one year apparently) and the tie rod was gone too, as were the front drop links (also changed at the same time as the upper arms). lesson learned though - buy cheap buy twice and given the state of our roads I should hardly be suprised . . .
Rants above aside, I do love the GT and the 1.9 is a sweet engine. Pulls like a train, and 500 miles to a tank in mixed driving so can't complain. Oh and she is absolutely gorgeous.
Hopefully though that is it with the big bills for a while . . . . Getting sick of making excuses for it.
To be honest that is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I did exactly that with the 166. I calculated that I spent £3083 on maintaince and repairs during the time I owned her and she rewarded me buy burning down on a lay-by!

I’m going on the assumption that the 147 is a good bit more mechanically simple.

But for this reason I am still looking at other brands of car. I wish she would let me buy something a bit bigger because I would love a V6 X-type.

Stuart

Last edited by stu_the_flat; 01-02-11 at 07:23.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

If you are looking for reliable an X-Type wouldn't be top of my list (depending on age).
Anyway My GT isn't getting anything like 500 MPtank, that's for sure. but it is a lot of car for the money and is, as Steve says' absoloutly gorgious and very, very, very good to drive. Insurance will be a lot less for the 147 though (not so sure it would be much cheaper for a 156, although you do get more car for your money).

p.s. just had the BIG service as well, doing belts, variator, water pump and cam sensor (not to mention getting a crack welded in the sump). I'm skint

AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire
Quote:
You wouldn't be interested in a Gabbiano blue 147 Selespeed with all the toys ,would you ?? 61k on a 51 plate FSH too . It will be getting a new belt kit next week .
AO Silver Member

Member car:

500 twinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast frank View Post
Insurance will be a lot less for the 147 though (not so sure it would be much cheaper for a 156, although you do get more car for your money).
I thought it would be too, but even a 1.6 147 is group 12........and I'm still paying about the same as I did for the GTV in group 16, and only £5 a month less than I did for the GTA!

But thats down to the fact that insurance costs are going up and I do have a few previous convictions....
AO Silver Member

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by p17sut View Post
But thats down to the fact that insurance costs are going up and I do have a few previous convictions....
They wouldn't be for speeding would they?
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast frank View Post
not to mention getting her crack welded
Sounds a bit painful . . . . . .
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StescoG66 View Post
Sounds a bit painful . . . . . .
Stop it, you durty boy
AO Silver Member

Garage
Sorry Frank. Couldn't resist . . . . .hehehe
AO Silver Member

Member car:

500 twinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakForYou View Post
They wouldn't be for speeding would they?
Yes, and they stay on licence for 3 years! .....
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

you should have got that diesel 166 left hooker on ebay stu - would have been ubber rare and kinda sensible
AO Gold Member

County: South Lanarkshire
sure huz been quiet withoot you Stu.

Speaking frae experienc e ken...If ah hudnae the 2 166's pure money pits aroon £1.5k in cumulative 9 years awe in....I;d go fur a wee 1.2 CF3 bravo formula.....mair comeback than Laserous at £10 a shot.Las t time was dead expensive...£90 for a recon heid.

Pomeo

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Scotland > South Scotland

Tags
back , coming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page