Spring Sunday Early Morning Drive - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
South East London, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Kent, Surrey, Sussex

20Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 10-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Garage
Spring Sunday Early Morning Drive

Is anyone up for doing an early drive in March/April.

I have planned a route here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Te...50.9866027!3e0

Initial Rendezvous at Bearsted Tesco (fuel incl 99 ron available).
Then further rendezvous points at, 1 Chilham Car Park, 2, Stop 24 Shell Garage. 3, Jo's Cafe at Brooklands Raceway (opens from 0830).

Suggest 0645 meet for 0700 prompt start from Tesco. Any later and the hatchback/suv/garden centre bumblers will be out to spoil the flow.

I belong to a Light rear wheel drive club that meets on Sunday mornings, so once I have those dates, then I can post up a suggested meet date.
In the meantime please post your interest and preferred/available dates.

I didn't post in the 916 thread in case any non-916ers may miss out.

Drive is open to any Alfa Romeos...but guests appearances will be considered..Lancias...Maseratis etc would most likely get the nod...!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Essex
Garage
Interested but really depends on the date (car is in hibernation probably till April), so will monitor from the sidelines for now.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

GT / 156 / GTV

I would be interested if my car's back on the road by then (not entirely sure how that will play out just yet!).
(Post Link) post #4 of 28 Old 10-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Suggest 7th or 28th April...
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: UK also in 159 2.4TI Sportswagon
Garage

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

As always up for this if can make.

7th and 28th both clash at the moment with some events I mentioned on other 916 page

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/sout...6-group-3.html (916 group)

Anyhow have subscribed on this one as well so I get updates.

Cheers
P
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Yes, I am aching to get the Alfa out again with fellows owners. Count me in!!
Martin
goremohekan likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goremohekan View Post
Suggest 7th or 28th April...
28th will definitely work for me. Then again, I'll not rule out getting the car a week earlier ready for the 7th if needs be.
goremohekan likes this.
AO Member

Nice route, agree early start to keep the flow, either or.....and some walkie talkies?
goremohekan and r1200rt like this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 28 Old 13-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
We could even go for 21st which is Easter Sunday...we could be up before dawn to celebrate the gods of spring...just like the early disciples!
faffer likes this.
AO Member

The 28th would be fine for me as I am going to take the engine out of the spider at the end of March, for a plethora of things to be done before we go abroad again.
(Post Link) post #11 of 28 Old 06-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Sunday 28th April.

Just confirming that I will be at Bearsted Tesco fuel station ME14 5TQ on 0645 ready for prompt 0700 start.

I may not have the Spider as the guy doing the rust repairs has put it away into storage...doh!

I will print out a couple of rendezvous points in case we get split up (and also my mob. phone number)...but the main thing is: do not lose your wing man, I.E. wait for the guy behind you at any junction/roundabout that involves turning off to the left or right.

Apart from that, follow rules of the road...no speeding or silly revving engines through villages (needs not to be said really as everyone has always been considerate thus far) and no tailgating. If everyone indicates early at junctions that also helps the convoy to anticipate upcoming junctions etc.

As for the little sw radios...feel welcome to bring one, but we won't be relying on them to keep up communications...as their range is unpredictable.

Looking forward to some renewed Alfa fellowship!
faffer and r1200rt like this.

Last edited by goremohekan; 06-04-19 at 13:22.
AO Member

County: -
I’ll try and make this. New owner that doesn’t know much and have had a few issues so be good to talk to other owners. I’ll be in misano blue giulia veloce.
goremohekan likes this.
AO Member

Hi,
We have just booked a room nearby for the sat night so we will be at the start at 6.45. Looking forward to having a drive out with other Alfa owners again.
goremohekan likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

28th Drive day

Quote:
Sunday 28th April.

Just confirming that I will be at Bearsted Tesco fuel station ME14 5TQ on 0645 ready for prompt 0700 start.

I may not have the Spider as the guy doing the rust repairs has put it away into storage...doh!

I will print out a couple of rendezvous points in case we get split up (and also my mob. phone number)...but the main thing is: do not lose your wing man, I.E. wait for the guy behind you at any junction/roundabout that involves turning off to the left or right.

Apart from that, follow rules of the road...no speeding or silly revving engines through villages (needs not to be said really as everyone has always been considerate thus far) and no tailgating. If everyone indicates early at junctions that also helps the convoy to anticipate upcoming junctions etc.

As for the little sw radios...feel welcome to bring one, but we won't be relying on them to keep up communications...as their range is unpredictable.

Looking forward to some renewed Alfa fellowship!
Hi John

I have just had details of the AROC schedule it is meeting at Headcorn for coffee at 9.45am on the 28th then leaving at 10.30 around following a route to Hole Park in around 30 miles. Expected to arrive for those that want optional lunch at around 12pm.

I have attached a picture of schedule, not sure if this could be worked at the end of your planned route? I know the enjoyable driving will be earlier when you meet as roads will be much quieter as we have always found.

Cheers
P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 962AFB53-704F-47EB-9F8F-00D089EAE3C2.jpg (118.2 KB, 19 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Just to add anyone wanting to join the AROC drive later on in the morning of the 28th, can they email Jeff Kaby the Kent and Sussex CO-ordinatior AROC [email protected] so that he reserve correct number of parking space allocation at Hole Park if you want to go to that.

I have also attached the menu for the Restarant at Hole Park if of interest?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37C079FD-97AC-4A59-92F6-984EE88C4CDD.jpg (96.8 KB, 14 views)
AO Member

Garage
Are those AROC events open to non-members?
(Post Link) post #17 of 28 Old 12-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by faffer View Post
Are those AROC events open to non-members?
I believe it is AROC members only and is a "Tulip" type timed rally...so navigators are needed to follow the directions/timings.

There should be time for any keeno booked on the AROC Drive to get to Headcorn Aerodrome for about 10am..but I wasn't planning going on to it.

Although Headcorn Aerodrome does have a cafe and looks quite an interesting place...so we could head off there to be nosey and see off the participants if the mood takes us on the day?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
I believe it is AROC members only and is a "Tulip" type timed rally...so navigators are needed to follow the directions/timings.

There should be time for any keeno booked on the AROC Drive to get to Headcorn Aerodrome for about 10am..but I wasn't planning going on to it.

Although Headcorn Aerodrome does have a cafe and looks quite an interesting place...so we could head off there to be nosey and see off the participants if the mood takes us on the day?
The Kent section of the AROC are normally quite accommodating, however as said may not be for everyone as navigator would be helpful. Nice to end at Headcorn if we can and see off those joining and have a nose. Our drive will be more fun!
(Post Link) post #19 of 28 Old 15-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philcrazy View Post
The Kent section of the AROC are normally quite accommodating, however as said may not be for everyone as navigator would be helpful. Nice to end at Headcorn if we can and see off those joining and have a nose. Our drive will be more fun!
yeah, we can do the drive (a fair way it has to be said) and then head off to the Aerodrome...but it is pretty much in the direction of travel home for most I expect.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philcrazy View Post
Hi John

I have just had details of the AROC schedule it is meeting at Headcorn for coffee at 9.45am on the 28th then leaving at 10.30 around following a route to Hole Park in around 30 miles. Expected to arrive for those that want optional lunch at around 12pm.

I have attached a picture of schedule, not sure if this could be worked at the end of your planned route? I know the enjoyable driving will be earlier when you meet as roads will be much quieter as we have always found.

Cheers
P
Hi guys,

This event with AROC is one that I have organised in memory of my Dad who passed away last year. He was quite a fan of Drive It Day so it seemed appropriated and it gives a great excuse to get his Duetto out for a good drive!

We did the reccy of the rally on Saturday and it's a lovely route. Not too tricky although I may make a trickier version of the map for those that want more of a challenge!

If you would like to join us, please do let me know in this thread, you would be very welcome. We are asking for a few for St Christopher's: Hospice but I will buy a bacon sandwich for anyone partaking in the tulip rally at Headcorn
Philcrazy likes this.

(Post Link) post #21 of 28 Old 24-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post
Hi guys,

This event with AROC is one that I have organised in memory of my Dad who passed away last year. He was quite a fan of Drive It Day so it seemed appropriated and it gives a great excuse to get his Duetto out for a good drive!

We did the reccy of the rally on Saturday and it's a lovely route. Not too tricky although I may make a trickier version of the map for those that want more of a challenge!

If you would like to join us, please do let me know in this thread, you would be very welcome. We are asking for a few for St Christopher's: Hospice but I will buy a bacon sandwich for anyone partaking in the tulip rally at Headcorn
hi Jack,
I think I did meet your father with his Spider at a show near Tonbridge a few years back.
Anyway, I think we may join you for breakfast at the Aerodrome and see you all off. There will be approx 3-6 cars on our run at a guess, so not massive numbers.
We are meeting at 0645 with some of us setting off to the meet point a while before that...so I expect most on our run will be ready to head off home after breakfast.
Thanks for the offer though, I would suggest that those wanting to join the Doug Hodson drive it day run pm Jack or contact Jeff Kaby.
(Post Link) post #22 of 28 Old 27-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Just confirming that the run is on tomorrow.

Meet at Bearsted Tesco Carpark ME14 5TQ at 0645 for prompt depart at 0700 (I will leave at 0700!)
Fuel is available at the start point...so please fill up.

I will have a list of rendezvous points, and we will finish at Headcorn Aerodrome TN279HX for breakfast at the cafe there.
Drive will be approx two hours plus stops.

I have changed the last part of the route accordingly. If anyone wants the new route please PM me today.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Just confirming that the run is on tomorrow.

Meet at Bearsted Tesco Carpark ME14 5TQ at 0645 for prompt depart at 0700 (I will leave at 0700!)
Fuel is available at the start point...so please fill up.

I will have a list of rendezvous points, and we will finish at Headcorn Aerodrome TN279HX for breakfast at the cafe there.
Drive will be approx two hours plus stops.

I have changed the last part of the route accordingly. If anyone wants the new route please PM me today.

Apologies Id intended to show up but friend had a charity boxing match last night and won so celebrations got a little out of hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goremohekan likes this.
(Post Link) post #24 of 28 Old 28-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
A really good run today...all the way from Chilham to Military road...about 60 miles we had a completely clear run...Fab!

Also was great to see all the different Alfas and to meet the Kent AROC members at Headcorn Aerodrome, a really friendly bunch of people (as Alfisti always are!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190428_084505.jpg (135.4 KB, 14 views)
AlfaJack, faffer, r1200rt and 2 others like this.
AO Member

Great run Jon, we really enjoyed it. Superb roads in the plural. I haven't seen that many empty roads since I was about 16.
Well planned, and it was nice to meet other Alfa owners at Headcorn too.
Looking forward to the next one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > South East

Tags
drive , early , morning , spring , sunday

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page