Car Insurance - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

35Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 99 Old 22-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
Not Happy Car Insurance

Just received my insurance renewal today, for alfa gtv 1997.full comp with full no claims bonus 587€OR 470€third party f and t.. up 30% on last year+ road Tax @ 720€ per year
Mufasa likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Traders

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonrod View Post
Just received my insurance renewal today, for alfa gtv 1997.full comp with full no claims bonus 587€OR 470€third party f and t.. up 30% on last year+ road Tax @ 720€ per year
Hi,

Have you tried us for insurance yet? If not, just drop me a line and I can arrange for our quotes team to give you a call.

Kind Regards
Dan

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] FLUX View Post
Hi,

Have you tried us for insurance yet? If not, just drop me a line and I can arrange for our quotes team to give you a call.

Kind Regards
Dan
The OP is in the Republic of Ireland or are you now providing cover here ?

Garage
Quote:
My comprehensive renewal back in April had gone up €100+ IIRC, in the end I got the best quote for a policy I was happy with from the AA & I also took out breakdown cover with them. One of the pros of the AA is that your are insured to drive any privately owned car without the needed to do a temp transfer on your insurance, beware that temp transfers to garage cars etc cost though.
You also can sign up for a fuel card that gets you 2c per litre off at Topaz.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Hi,

Kind Regards
Dan
If you guys covered cars in Ireland you would clean up. From what I have read online you can actually declare your mods etc. I know there are some motorcycle insurance companies in the UK that have started providing cover over here. You should definitely look into it.
Scortho likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare
Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Quote:
Mine was 600 for the year with windscreen and ncb fully protected for my gtv....dont know why it was so cheap, but i snapped their hand off at that price

That was with chill
(Post Link) post #7 of 99 Old 23-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Hi,

Kind Regards
Dan
Hi Dan, Do you cover car Insurance in the Rep of Ireland.
(Post Link) post #8 of 99 Old 23-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scortho View Post
Mine was 600 for the year with windscreen and ncb fully protected for my gtv....dont know why it was so cheap, but i snapped their hand off at that price

That was with chill
Scortho, you be in for a insurance shock, for your next renewal . chill quote over 700€ for me.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare
Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Quote:
Scortho, you be in for a insurance shock, for your next renewal . chill quote over 700€ for me.
That was last month, I was expecting it to go up from 850 to over a grand, instead came in at 550 before extras
(Post Link) post #10 of 99 Old 24-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scortho View Post
That was last month, I was expecting it to go up from 850 to over a grand, instead came in at 550 before extras
I was quoted just under 800€ third party 1000€ fully comp by CHILL through AXA, high risk because my car is over 15 years old my car is in excellent condition, NCT till 08/16, my current renewal at 587€ seems a bargain???
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

Yep, I changed car from a little Puma to a 2.4 159 mid way through policy, it put €50 on a €440 comprehensive policy with additional driver, all the trimmings.
Renewal and 5 other quotes were all €800+. A year older, another year NCD. They're having a laugh.
edit: I went with AIG in the end, fully comp, added the wife, parked on the drive, breakdown assistance (a bargain at €17), windscreen cover. €807 all in including monthly interest (10%).

Last edited by casesensitive; 29-10-15 at 13:04. Reason: settled on a quote
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

I moved from Rathfarnham to Donabate and it put €140 on it!
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I moved from Rathfarnham to Donabate and it put €140 on it!
Eh? I'd have thought Donabate was every bit as 'safe' as Rathfarnham. I think they might be just looking to leverage you, after all, what are you going to do, you can't say no.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by casesensitive View Post
Eh? I'd have thought Donabate was every bit as 'safe' as Rathfarnham. I think they might be just looking to leverage you, after all, what are you going to do, you can't say no.
Supposedly the crash/claim rates are higher in North County Dublin
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Did the premiums go down in Rathfarnham once you left?
casesensitive likes this.
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

'98 156 V6

Does anyone here have "drive other's cars" on their policy? I only found out about it recently but once you have it you are covered third party on any other car that isn't owned or registered by you. It doesn't even need to be insured on someone elses policy, just NCT'd and taxed. I'd imagine that would come in handy for anyone who has a second car or a car that is difficult to insure. Put it in your partner or family members name and drive away without worry. Most old Alfas arent worth insuring comprehensively anyway so there is a good incentive to do it this way. It's the only option I would have for legally driving a second car now, since its becoming almost impossible to insure cars over 15 years old.

My policy on my 159 is going up to €650 fully comp with step back protection. But my quote of €430 from last year was on a 2001 S40 on third party cover. So I guess its not too bad of an increase.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Did the premiums go down in Rathfarnham once you left?
Brat!
Only claim in 28 years of driving was windscreen cover for my Alfasud 4/5 years back....
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsemtex View Post
Does anyone here have "drive other's cars" on their policy? I only found out about it recently but once you have it you are covered third party on any other car that isn't owned or registered by you. It doesn't even need to be insured on someone elses policy, just NCT'd and taxed. I'd imagine that would come in handy for anyone who has a second car or a car that is difficult to insure. Put it in your partner or family members name and drive away without worry. Most old Alfas arent worth insuring comprehensively anyway so there is a good incentive to do it this way. It's the only option I would have for legally driving a second car now, since its becoming almost impossible to insure cars over 15 years old.
I believe that if the insurance company can prove that you are the main user of the car then your insurance in it is void.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
I only found out about it recently but once you have it you are covered third party on any other car that isn't owned or registered by you. It doesn't even need to be insured on someone elses policy, just NCT'd and taxed..
That seems quite generous and would be handy. But here in the north you can drive another persons car ok but it must already be insured by it's owner/keeper, well that was the case in policies I have had in the past. I would check the detals before I took the chance.
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

'98 156 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtv160 View Post
That seems quite generous and would be handy. But here in the north you can drive another persons car ok but it must already be insured by it's owner/keeper, well that was the case in policies I have had in the past. I would check the detals before I took the chance.
I've asked them 3 times now and its been confirmed each time. It's probably dependent on the individual insurer but it's definitely the case for mine. It's rare when a clause in insurance works in your favour but this is one that does.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
It's rare when a clause in insurance works in your favour.....
You're a master of the understatement!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9 JTS

Further proof Irish insurers pull their figures out of some ass: I got an 835 Euro renewal from AA, up from the 545 I paid last year (one year more NCB...yet, nearly 300 Euro). I ran a few quotes online and the lowest I found was 807 with Allianz.

Anyway, as the expiration date approached (Oct. 31), I got a text from AA about "we can offer a discount". I the end, I managed to renew for 700. Which is still outrageous as I know younger people driving similar cars paying half of that - guy at work with a BMW 320d paid 400, and he's 25...

There's a (rare) interesting thread on boards.ie forum motors about insurance renewals - going back some pages, there are two guys from Dublin, same area, similar cars (both 1.6), where the one who is older and holding a longer NCB pays about 200 Euro more than the younger fella.
AO Member

County: Carlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3llR4iser View Post
Further proof Irish insurers pull their figures out of some ass: I got an 835 Euro renewal from AA, up from the 545 I paid last year (one year more NCB...yet, nearly 300 Euro). I ran a few quotes online and the lowest I found was 807 with Allianz
I'm not surprised my previous insurance was 680 on a civic '99 1.5 Tullow Co Carlow Full Irish Licence full NCB added driver and driving other cars + fully comp i was with allianz never again... when it was time to renew...guess what 880...without driving other cars and second driver...cause with them two options would be 980... and when you call them and ask why??? the answer is the same thing "oh its because of scams and frauds"
...something gives a bad smell each time i call insurance companies...bull..
All in all I ended up going to local broker and got an unknown to me insurer with same options as I had with allianz for the price of 750..its still high

Last edited by italianlover; 24-11-15 at 17:18. Reason: few corretions english aint my native :)
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

Update: I signed up to the €807 quote above from AIG, but 10 days in they 'realised' that on their form I'd selected 'Drimnagh, Co Dublin', but that I was actually living in 'Drimnagh, Dublin 12' and that I owed them another €89. I told them to stick it up their holes, and in the interim, my 25plus renewal, ironically, also an AIG policy, with Full Comp, Driving other cars, wife as Named driver, windscreen cover, full NCD protection had dropped to €564! I put all the detail in again from scratch to be sure I hadn't accidentally selected that I was female or something, but it stuck, and like the poster above, I took their arm right off for it. It think it was €104 deposit, and 9x €56 (about 10% interest). They don't seem to have spotted the mistake, so here's hoping its a reward for another year of claim-free motoring.
(Post Link) post #25 of 99 Old 24-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Driving 1997 gtv 916 at the moment, inquired with my insurance about changing over to 2004 166 same engine capacity. my renewal in nov 2015, 589 euro to change over there looking for additional 351 euro.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
car , insurance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page