Alfa GT Advice needed! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 08-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Westmeath
Alfa GT Advice needed!

Folks,

back for some advise after an extended hiatus. I have a 2004 1.9 jtd GT, approx 148k miles on the clock. Bought her last year from another Alfa forum member and she has always been well looked after by Ti Autos. It's a good spec model with black leather interior, Bose speakers, 18" multispoke alloys etc. I reckon if I was selling it privately I could get 3000, maybe 3500 for her.

Now the bad news. Clutch and flywheel need replacing and between parts and labour I won't get much change out of 900 euro. I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead with the work and then sell her or just call time. I've just moved house so don't need to have two cars in the house anymore so was going to reluctantly move her on anyway, but the clutch situation has complicated things.

Any thoughts on how best to proceed?

Cheers,

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

What makes you believe your flywheel is toast Joey?

Alfashop were doing a great deal on clutch/DMF kits some time ago. Might be worthwhile dropping them a line.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 08-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
What makes you believe your flywheel is toast Joey?

Alfashop were doing a great deal on clutch/DMF kits some time ago. Might be worthwhile dropping them a line.
That's what I'm being told by the mechanic I'm afraid.....
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Which mechanic? TI? There must be symptoms in any case.

The flywheel is expensive and you don't want to replace it if you don't have to.
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 08-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Which mechanic? TI? There must be symptoms in any case.

The flywheel is expensive and you don't want to replace it if you don't have to.
It's not Ti on this occasion as I had to have it towed to a local garage in Westmeath. They're good guys so I don't have reason to doubt them.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

You're not being very forthcoming. A lot of mechanics will automatically change the flywheel along with the clutch. If you took the car in with clutch failure then the chances are that the garage won't be able to tell the state of the flywheel without taking it out and looking at it because you can't put the drive-train under load without the clutch. If the flywheel was in such a bad state then *you* would have noticed it banging and chattering beforehand.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 08-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
You're not being very forthcoming. A lot of mechanics will automatically change the flywheel along with the clutch. If you took the car in with clutch failure then the chances are that the garage won't be able to tell the state of the flywheel without taking it out and looking at it because you can't put the drive-train under load without the clutch. If the flywheel was in such a bad state then *you* would have noticed it banging and chattering beforehand.
Sorry mate! Not trying to be elusive. I know how to drive cars, not service them. I don't know my flywheels from my drive trains. You might as well speak to me in Madarin. In terms of symptoms, can move the gears easily when car is off, but when on it wouldn't go in to 1st or reverse. If i put it in first and then started her I could drive her but the car shuddered when I would lift the clutch to engage the gear, all the way up to 6th. The mechanic took a look and has come to me with the diagnosis that clutch kit and flywheel need replacing. I'm one of those unfortunate drivers who need to take what he's told at face value by his mechanic.

I'm not trying to second guess the mechanic with my post, more interested in garnering opinion in terms of whether it's worth fixing and putting on the market.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I think 3000-3500 even with a good clutch and flywheel is slightly optimistic to be honest. I say this having privately sold a lower mileage GT JTD with a FSH and a load of upgrades last year. But in fairness, I just wasn't in the mood for any messing around.

Is the garage in Westmeath Don Baker?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyc80 View Post
Sorry mate! Not trying to be elusive. I know how to drive cars, not service them. I don't know my flywheels from my drive trains. You might as well speak to me in Madarin. In terms of symptoms, can move the gears easily when car is off, but when on it wouldn't go in to 1st or reverse. If i put it in first and then started her I could drive her but the car shuddered when I would lift the clutch to engage the gear, all the way up to 6th. The mechanic took a look and has come to me with the diagnosis that clutch kit and flywheel need replacing. I'm one of those unfortunate drivers who need to take what he's told at face value by his mechanic.

I'm not trying to second guess the mechanic with my post, more interested in garnering opinion in terms of whether it's worth fixing and putting on the market.
Those symptoms sound like release bearing failure rather than the clutch. Normally you'd replace the clutch at the same time as the release bearing but if the idea is to flog it afterwards then you might want to save the €100 or so difference between the clutch kit and just the bearing.

Surely spending €60 on parts for a release bearing rather than €600 on clutch kit and flywheel would have an impact on whether you try to sell it broken or whether you try to fix it first.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

As a FYI here's a recent release bearing failure thread with similar symptoms to yours:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...by-the-aa.html

In this case the failure also took out the clutch and DMF but this guy was unlucky. There's no knowing until it's dismantled.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
advice , alfa , needed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page