Good driving roads in the North - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe90GT
  • 1 Post By pendragonfalls

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 13-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
Good driving roads in the North

Hi all I'm back for another tour, this time staying near Derry for a week (end of August) and cruising around Donegal and the Antrim coast etc - to start with depending on the weather I'll either be driving through the tunnel or Dublin to get to the road to Derry - I don't want to use the motorways much so am looking for a more leisurely route
I was thinking of the N2 and A5 for Dublin to Derry, any other ideas?
I'm looking for good driving roads in the area so will be doing the coast road from Larne and want to drive up to the famed bridge near Mulroy and a trip down to Slieve League, any other suggestions?
Also any AR meets in the area?
thanks

Italian tune ups are an essential part of an Alfa Romeo maintenance shedule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Lots of good driving roads in North Antrim.

Take a look at the map here:

Glens of Antrim website
AO Member

County: Antrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90GT View Post
Hi all I'm back for another tour, this time staying near Derry for a week (end of August) and cruising around Donegal and the Antrim coast etc - to start with depending on the weather I'll either be driving through the tunnel or Dublin to get to the road to Derry - I don't want to use the motorways much so am looking for a more leisurely route
I was thinking of the N2 and A5 for Dublin to Derry, any other ideas?
I'm looking for good driving roads in the area so will be doing the coast road from Larne and want to drive up to the famed bridge near Mulroy and a trip down to Slieve League, any other suggestions?
Also any AR meets in the area?
thanks
Try this route here, google maps type in Cushendall to Limavady and take the longer route option. Really nice driving roads and the part near the start heading around the forest is quite the road. While in Derry pop across and do the Wild Atlantic way from Letterkenny, you might be able to reproduce the attached photo!

On your way up the North part is quite boring from Ballygawley>Omagh>Newtownstewart>Strabane. Try the M3/N3 through Kells and across into the north from Belturbet, along the A509 into Enniskillen then upto Kesh and into Castlederg then Strabane. Nicer scenic route along past and through the lakes.

You'll be heading up the weekend I'm heading down to Tullamore (via Fairyhouse for the car show),Birr (for the Irish Birr Game Fair) and then Athone for well quite alot of Guinness!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150304_124207.jpg (132.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20150304_123519~2.jpg (103.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Nice 2.jpg (200.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Nice 1.jpg (116.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Cushendall to Limavady.jpg (61.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Cecil1978; 14-08-15 at 01:36. Reason: adding better route to Derry
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
A2 between Larne and Portrush, take the scenic detour via Torr Head.
(Post Link) post #5 of 17 Old 15-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks for the replies: wild Atlantic way looks amazing and the Cushendall to Limavady road would be a great way to come back from Larne after the A2 jaunt and a visit to the GC- looks like I'll have a good full week, let me know if you think of any more

Is it worth driving through Dublin or taking the tunnel if the weathers nice? - I remember Dublin was a complete nightmare from the Port before they built the tunnel but I have a good satnav to help and plenty of time

Last edited by Joe90GT; 15-08-15 at 10:36.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare
Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Quote:
Thanks for the replies: wild Atlantic way looks amazing and the Cushendall to Limavady road would be a great way to come back from Larne after the A2 jaunt and a visit to the GC- looks like I'll have a good full week, let me know if you think of any more

Is it worth driving through Dublin or taking the tunnel if the weathers nice? - I remember Dublin was a complete nightmare from the Port before they built the tunnel but I have a good satnav to help and plenty of time
I like dublin to walk around and people watch. Drive around not really, stop start stop start. When you know the city rat runs to avoid sitting in traffic its fine, but no satnav will give you that.

Do you have to be in Derry for that evening?
If not, id avoid the motorways...it makes the journey a lot longer, but its more fun. Id take the tunnel to the m1, come off at swords, head out towards ashbourne (swords to ashbourne is a lovely driving road) then decide which way you want to go. Continue on the n2 towards monaghan, on up into tyrone and onto Derry etc or go via the glens of antrim.
All depends on how long you have to do the trip. You see nothing on motorways, just one long boring straight road.
They serve their purpose of getting you from a to b, but Im guessing that with a series 2 spider you'd rather see b c d e etc along the way.

Pm for good price on parts for your 156 v6
(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 16-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks - ferrys in at 12 so have good 6 hrs to get to the cottage in Eglinton - I stay away from mways if poss as they are not a nice place to be in an old Alfa - your route sounds like a plan, google maps is given me three options after Castleblaney, think Omagh then cut across to Claudy looks good, b,c,d,e and f it is. - no sense wasting good driving time!
Scortho likes this.

Last edited by Joe90GT; 16-08-15 at 08:28.
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Nice drive through the Port Tunnel, topless. The S2, not you BTW.

Just for the noise
Joe90GT likes this.
AO Member

County: Dublin
Enniskillen to Ballyshannon is a lovely driving road.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
This has just been opened, looks amazing:
Gobbins
(Post Link) post #11 of 17 Old 17-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
Nice drive through the Port Tunnel, topless. The S2, not you BTW.

Just for the noise
Looking forward to the induction roar from the Pipercross and twin 40's

Thanks for the replies
Gobbins looks amazing, just have to pick a nice day - not sure how that'll work out as every time I've been to the GC its chucked it down
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil1978 View Post
On your way up the North part is quite boring from Ballygawley>Omagh>Newtownstewart>Strabane. Try the M3/N3 through Kells and across into the north from Belturbet, along the A509 into Enniskillen then upto Kesh and into Castlederg then Strabane. Nicer scenic route along past and through the lakes.
Absolutely. Fermanagh is a lovely county to drive through - twisty roads with good passing stretches and little traffic. That stretch in Tyrone is woeful - a busy road with a lot of slow drivers.

If inclined, would nearly enter Donegal via Ballshannon or Pettigo and head to Derry via Barnesmore Gap and Letterkenny etc.

Passing through Ballybofey can be a pain and it's a longer route, but a much more interesting and engaging drive.
(Post Link) post #13 of 17 Old 23-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

thanks again
(Post Link) post #14 of 17 Old 31-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well we're here now and loving every minute of it - empty twisty roads with stunning views -visiting Derry today ( my birthplace) and the suns out - just one problem, super unleaded is very scarce, only found one in Coleraine - anyone know of anymore in this part of Ireland?
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Quote:
Well we're here now and loving every minute of it - empty twisty roads with stunning views -visiting Derry today ( my birthplace) and the suns out - just one problem, super unleaded is very scarce, only found one in Coleraine - anyone know of anymore in this part of Ireland?
Down south were too stingy to pay for it so you won't find it south of the border
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scortho View Post
Down south were too stingy to pay for it so you won't find it south of the border
We're not supposed to have performance cars anyway.
(Post Link) post #17 of 17 Old 01-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

OK - I guess Coleraine is pretty much it then, I really need the 99 octane from tesco momentum or shell v power but that's obviously completely out of the question.... ah well just have to keep an ear open for the tinkling of pinking

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
driving , good , north , roads

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page