159 tramlining/inside tyre wear fix in Ireland - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

1Likes
  • 1 Post By samsemtex

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 06-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

'98 156 V6

159 tramlining/inside tyre wear fix in Ireland

Hi, I'm about to put two new tyres on the front of my 159 and I want to get the tyre wear issue sorted once and for all. I have read all the threads here but I cant actually find any details on the how to remedy it. Just a lot of talk about what should fix it.

My mechanic is also fitting the new tyres and he is as good as they get but he wouldn't have any of experience on 159s so I need to know what settings to tell him. Is it as simple as saying "set the toe angle to zero"? That appears to be the fix that people are getting the best results from. I just want to reduce the tramlining and get a bit of extra life from the tyres.

Other than that where can I bring it that they will definitely be able to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Kildare
Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsemtex View Post
Hi, I'm about to put two new tyres on the front of my 159 and I want to get the tyre wear issue sorted once and for all. I have read all the threads here but I cant actually find any details on the how to remedy it. Just a lot of talk about what should fix it.

My mechanic is also fitting the new tyres and he is as good as they get but he wouldn't have any of experience on 159s so I need to know what settings to tell him. Is it as simple as saying "set the toe angle to zero"? That appears to be the fix that people are getting the best results from. I just want to reduce the tramlining and get a bit of extra life from the tyres.

Other than that where can I bring it that they will definitely be able to fix it?
What you need is these bad boys.
Powerflex - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts

From what I've heard it eliminates the tyre wear issue. Best thing to do is to pm ned on here and ask for more info, apparently its a full days job because setting the tracking is a *****.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/members/autolusso.html
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

159 & 156 S/W

This is a long read, but may be worth while (well some of it, skip the longer posts!).

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-worth-it.html

I'm in the same boat as you but I've done 106,000 on OEM bushes and am planning to replace like for like (because of the life of my OEM's), others swear by Powerflex, I can't give an opinion as I've never driven one with them on, and IMO only those that have had both could/should comment, and then maybe only commit once driven (?).

I didn't have a problem until last year, (6,200 miles ago my garage done a re-alignement <due to bad tyre wear> to factory settings and just after I got the dull knocking noise which I think is from the rear, will have to get that sorted before I do anything). So for me alignment to factory is a no no, especially if you have some knocking.

Do you have any knocking? If not then I think that OE's thread (post 1) will sort you out.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-post-1-a.html
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDM TI

I had the upper wishbones replaced due to knocking, I also had tramlining problems and inner tyre wear, after I had the tyres replaced a 4 wheel alignment showed up camber way out on the front which is non adjustable but would definitely be a source of inner Tyre wear. Any way 5k on the new tyres and wishbones and no knocking, no tramlining and it would appear no inner Tyre wear but only time will tell on that one.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 10-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'98 156 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony4hop View Post

Do you have any knocking? If not then I think that OE's thread (post 1) will sort you out.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-post-1-a.html
No knocking. I printed that thread and gave it to my mechanic. Drove it home on some rough country roads and the difference is immediately noticeable. Where the car used to get violently upset by bumps it now glides and tracks a straight line right through. Fantastic difference to the handling already. It was so much more relaxing to drive! How did Alfa leave it go out of the factory like that?

Hopefully the tyre wear isnt an issue now either.
tony4hop likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 18-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'98 156 V6

Well back to square one. Inside of my tyres are almost down to bald again after about 3-4k miles. Gonna have to put them on the back to salvage them now. This is not good for my wallet.

Turns out my mechanic didnt set the toe angle as i wanted it after all. Not quite sure why it stopped tramlining so much as it isnt doing it now.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , fix , ireland , tramlining or inside , tyre , wear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page