AVG price for a GTV/Spider 916 timing belt - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

1Likes
  • 1 Post By pistonrod

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 12-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Meath
Garage
AVG price for a GTV/Spider 916 timing belt

Lads
going to ring Ti autos over the next few days and book my Spider in for a couple of jobs plus a timing belt. Just out of interest should I brace myself for financial meltdown...

Budget of 400 too little for Tbelt/balance belt and tensioners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Are you getting the water pump done as well ? Alfa have a good kit price now which includes the pump (on the 1.6 TS anyway). I think you'll be paying more than €400 though.
AO Member

County: Dublin
Timing Belt Kit for your ALFA ROMEO GTV (916C_) 2.0 T.SPARK 16V (150Hp) timing belt kit, less than 100 euro on mister auto,3 hours labour. how is the spider going dave. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj-IwrwPYyg

Last edited by pistonrod; 12-05-15 at 20:40.
(Post Link) post #4 of 16 Old 13-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonrod View Post
Timing Belt Kit for your ALFA ROMEO GTV (916C_) 2.0 T.SPARK 16V (150Hp) timing belt kit, less than 100 euro on mister auto,3 hours labour. how is the spider going dave. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj-IwrwPYyg
That welding rod is a great idea for finding tdc. I was thinking of doing it myself but my luck is a bit off lately and I would dread making a balls of it. Maybe forced to do myself cause money is tight. I have two kids making their communion this weekend..

As for the Spider, since finding one of its previous owners had rigged the clocks cause it had multiple dash lights on I have just been righting others mistakes.

Second hand clocks, airbag ecu, cam sensor, crank sensor, pass door lock.. not all bad tho, I replaced the front shocks and springs as it was sagging on yhe drivers side did some rust proofing while I was there and fitted an ultra racing strut bar so that should tighten things up on the front end. Still have to get alignment done so its not been driven.
Haven't adressed the emissions yet either... prob the cat...

Still I love it, must be a sickness...

Davetech74 - Kells
AO Member

change your fuel filter dave, rear driver side,Fuel filter for your ALFA ROMEO GTV (916C_) 2.0 T.SPARK 16V (150Hp) may help your emissions.???
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetech74 View Post
Lads
going to ring Ti autos over the next few days and book my Spider in for a couple of jobs plus a timing belt. Just out of interest should I brace myself for financial meltdown...

Budget of 400 too little for Tbelt/balance belt and tensioners?
I think that's about right.....
AO Member

Great value timing belt tool kit:

goo.gl/Ueuejk

Last edited by pistonrod; 19-05-15 at 13:04.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Do not try to short-cut the correct procedure. Use the correct tools and it is straightforward but a little time consuming. Absolute must are the cam-locks and an accurate way of determining T.D.C., no bits of metal stuck down plug-holes! Might have been good enough for 1950s motorbikes where you had an advance/retard control on the handlebars for fine tuning, but not good enough for a modern engine. There are good guides on the Internet, follow one of those.

Last edited by armoore; 19-05-15 at 08:44.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare
Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Dave I've the full set of tools that you can borrow except for the dial float. So cam locks and the tensioning tools. They're in navan.
(Post Link) post #10 of 16 Old 19-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scortho View Post
Dave I've the full set of tools that you can borrow except for the dial float. So cam locks and the tensioning tools. They're in navan.
I actually bought a set of cam locks and tension tool during the week but your offer is very generous, thank you.

This is the kit I am buying - Water Pump + Timing Belt Kit GATES KP65429XS - Distribution/Bearings

That should have everything in it.
AO Member

Dave. a safe way to find TDC,on compression stroke, and cheap. no gauge required. THE BALLOON TRICK.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd1AMuI0Eec timing belt training vido https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FDObdCBtac
Mufasa likes this.

Last edited by pistonrod; 20-05-15 at 16:52.
(Post Link) post #12 of 16 Old 23-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Typical. Estimated DHL delivery day Thursday, its Saturday and the car is stripped (Didn't take the belts off yet) and still no parts. Mister-Auto.ie parts are shipped from Lyon France-Germany-UK, then Dublin and DHL don't deliver weekends... Pain in my hole.
AO Member

Allow 7 woking days when ordering from mister Auto.ie .I think they source parts from all over Europe, take there estimated delivery day with a pinch of salt,and also opt for cheapest post as it makes no difference.
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 24-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Yeah I was foolish to trust the estimated arrival...
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 28-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Belts, water pump, cam shaft sensor, exhaust pulley(wrong one on my car after head changed by previous owner) and Crank sensor, done. Wasn't a total economic success as I had to by some tools buts its no biggie as I have a 156 with a 1.8 ts in it so can be used on both.

IMG_20150527_144811.jpg Photo by David_Carpenter | Photobucket

Biggest roadblock was I couldn't figure how the balance belt tensioner came off. Took me few mins to cop the nut behind the oil filter.

I didnt buy a dial guage but used a steel rod with markings on it. As long as you take your time, prepare its not too bad a job as you might think.

Once you have the belts out of the way the water pump isnt that hard either. I took the time to whip the thermostat out of the far side of the engine and run the hose, just to purge any silt or crap through. Nothing much came out so that's a good sign.

IMG_20150527_150658.jpg Photo by David_Carpenter | Photobucket

I turned it over a few times buy hand to check all my marks again and it was good so starting it up wasnt that nerve wracking... still said a hail Mary...

Just cleaning up and putting the covers on this morning
AO Member

Well done dave, what great satisfaction and you save a ton of money in the long run.Its important for alfa owners to do as much work as possible on there cars. to keep them economic to run.

Last edited by pistonrod; 28-05-15 at 11:08.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
916 , avg , belt , gtv or spider , price , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page