Considering a remap for my 159 Ti JTDm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 03-02-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Kildare Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 219
Garage
Considering a remap for my 159 Ti JTDm

Hi folks,

I have an '08 159 Ti JTDm (150bhp). I've had it for a year and love everything about it - except the engine. I can't get used to the turbo lag (it's my first diesel car in my 20 years of driving). Before the 159, I had a 2.0 166 Twinspark for 6 years. It really was a peach of an engine.

I've been been mulling over a remap to get a more smooth power response. I do very low mileage (5k per year), so I'm not fussed about fuel economy. The only reason I bought a diesel was because I couldn't find a petrol in Ti spec at the time. Ideally, I'd love a 1750 TBi Ti SW, but they're extremely rare - even in the UK.

Has anybody here had a remap done on the 1.9 JTDm engine? If so, what were the results & would you recommend getting it done? Would it make a real difference to the driving experience, or should I just continue to hold out for a suitable TBi?

I've read through the old thread here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...e-ireland.html but would really love to get some first-hand insight from anybody who's remapped theirs.

2010 159 ti Sportwagon 2.0 JTDm

Previous:
2008 159 ti Saloon 1.9 JTDm
2002 166 Sportivo 2.0 TS
Kildare Alfa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Gormless [email protected]*
AO Gold Member
 
Paddy OPlastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 8,242

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

A remap isn't going to help much with turbo lag - it can't change the laws of physics. I suspect it isn't turbo lag that you're finding problematic but the lack of torque at low revs. A remap might help in this respect but are you sure that your engine is running as well as it should be? I haven't found low-down oomph lacking at all in our JTD since I got it running properly.
Paddy OPlastic is offline  
Status: T-5 Days to Unicorn Paradise
AO Platinum Member
 
TheGrimJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 38,319
Solution #1:
Alfa Romeo 159 1.8 1750TBi TI 4dr


Solution #2:
Alfa Romeo 159 1.8 1750TBi TI 4dr


Edit: Whoops missed the "SW"

Last edited by TheGrimJeeper; 03-02-15 at 16:57.
TheGrimJeeper is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 31 Old 03-02-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Kildare Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 219
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
A remap isn't going to help much with turbo lag - it can't change the laws of physics. I suspect it isn't turbo lag that you're finding problematic but the lack of torque at low revs. A remap might help in this respect but are you sure that your engine is running as well as it should be? I haven't found low-down oomph lacking at all in our JTD since I got it running properly.
Gerry at Ti services it, so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong. I can't take to the engine. It's just slow to pull away. Maybe it's because I do mostly short runs and my old 166 was so much better suited to the low mileage. Once the 159 revs are up at all, it takes off. It's a dream on the motorway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
Solution #1:
Alfa Romeo 159 1.8 1750TBi TI 4dr


Solution #2:
Alfa Romeo 159 1.8 1750TBi TI 4dr


Edit: Whoops missed the "SW"
Yeah, I've been watching Autotrader UK. Veloces of London really corner the market on the high spec Alfas. They had a couple of 2010/11 159 Ti SW TBis, but after VRT etc, they'd cost
well over 20k. That's big money for a 5 year old Alfa.

Maybe I'll settle for the saloon version instead. Those red ones you posted are nice cars with low mileage.
Kildare Alfa is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
richy999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Londonderry
Posts: 25
Garage

Member car:

159 tbi

you missed this one!

http://www.usedcarsni.com/2011-Alfa-...-TBI-141621662

its mine now!
richy999 is offline  
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 84,951
Garage
8C Red, nice find Well wear
David P is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 31 Old 04-02-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Kildare Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 219
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richy999 View Post
I spotted that one last week... it's a Lusso though, not a Ti

Gorgeous colour - enjoy!
Kildare Alfa is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
richy999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Londonderry
Posts: 25
Garage

Member car:

159 tbi

Yea it seems to be registered as a lusso but it's in full ti spec seats pedals suspension etc. pictures don't do it justice if I say so myself!!?
richy999 is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 31 Old 04-02-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Kildare Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 219
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richy999 View Post
Yea it seems to be registered as a lusso but it's in full ti spec seats pedals suspension etc. pictures don't do it justice if I say so myself!!?
Funny enough, I thought the same thing when I looked at it originally - it has Ti mirrors & trim. No interior pics, so I wasn't sure about the inside.

It only went up a few days ago & I was strongly tempted last week-end to make a belt up north to check it out. Sounds like it was my loss. Ah well...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the engine. I haven't driven a TBi before.
Kildare Alfa is offline  
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 84,951
Garage
That seems to be a common enough occurrence for Tis to be registered as Lussos, I've noticed it before with other 159s & especially on 156s.
Tis are just Lussos with extras fitted anyway
David P is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
richy999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Londonderry
Posts: 25
Garage

Member car:

159 tbi

I had it bought on Tuesday morning after it went up on the Monday was lucky I got in first by the number of calls he was getting. Bargain price in my opinion just hope there's no hidden nasties that gonna bite me!

The interior is the new half leather half suede which is much more comfy than the leather, looks great too. I'm coming out of a 20v jtd 156 so it had a lot to live up to as far as torque goes and it comes very close with no turbo lag at all,pulls from the go and feels lively. Very quiet and very solid built a real difference from the 156 just have to keep feeding her petrol!
richy999 is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 31 Old 05-02-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Kildare Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 219
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richy999 View Post
I had it bought on Tuesday morning after it went up on the Monday was lucky I got in first by the number of calls he was getting. Bargain price in my opinion just hope there's no hidden nasties that gonna bite me!

The interior is the new half leather half suede which is much more comfy than the leather, looks great too. I'm coming out of a 20v jtd 156 so it had a lot to live up to as far as torque goes and it comes very close with no turbo lag at all,pulls from the go and feels lively. Very quiet and very solid built a real difference from the 156 just have to keep feeding her petrol!
Fair play - you got an amazing deal there. It's a great looking car. That 8C red is stunning.

Even for us down south, that would've been a great buy (despite us having to add around 2,900 Irish VRT to re-register it here)

I was almost hoping the engine would be a disappointment and I could just get on with driving my own. Looks like it's back to Autotrader for me...
Kildare Alfa is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
richy999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Londonderry
Posts: 25
Garage

Member car:

159 tbi

Never did figure out how they work out the vrt on cars transferred to the south ?2900 is a lot extra on top tho.
richy999 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 743

Member car:

GT 1.9jtd

a remap is most definately worth it , car is way better to drive , more flexible with smoother boost uptake , so either have a go in a mapped one or just bite the bullet , you wont regret it
bembo449 is offline  
Status: T-5 Days to Unicorn Paradise
AO Platinum Member
 
TheGrimJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 38,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by richy999 View Post



Sweet.
TheGrimJeeper is offline  
Status: Gormless [email protected]*
AO Gold Member
 
Paddy OPlastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 8,242

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy999 View Post
Never did figure out how they work out the vrt on cars transferred to the south ?2900 is a lot extra on top tho.
Guide to Vehicle Registration Tax(VRT)

To calculate the current value of the vehicle it's someone's job to sit in a darkened room and make s**t up.

Anyone have experience with insurance after a remap in Ireland?
Paddy OPlastic is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 31 Old 05-02-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Kildare Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 219
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Anyone have experience with insurance after a remap in Ireland?
Yeah, I'd love to hear real world feedback too
Kildare Alfa is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
richy999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Londonderry
Posts: 25
Garage

Member car:

159 tbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Guide to Vehicle Registration Tax(VRT)

To calculate the current value of the vehicle it's someone's job to sit in a darkened room and make s**t up.

Anyone have experience with insurance after a remap in Ireland?
richy999 is offline  
Status: Back in the fold!
AO Member
 
manails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Donegal
Posts: 279

Member car:

GT Blackline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post

Anyone have experience with insurance after a remap in Ireland?
I don't see why you would mention it to your insurance company? It's not like there's any way they can really check it.
manails is offline  
(Post Link) post #20 of 31 Old 19-02-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Kildare Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 219
Garage
Has anybody used this crowd? ECU Remapping In Dublin and Ireland, Engine Tuning, Remap, Chip Tuning I spoke to a guy called Oli there & he seemed knowledgeable enough.
Kildare Alfa is offline  
Status: 17 inch teledials :)
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 1,273
Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Joe power is your only man to be honest
Scortho is offline  
(Post Link) post #22 of 31 Old 20-02-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Kildare Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 219
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scortho View Post
Joe power is your only man to be honest
Thanks - have you used Joe Power?

I Googled Joe Power & came up with this website. Car Chip Tuning, Diesel Tuning, ECU Remapping, Dyno Dynamics | Chipped Ireland

Is it the same guy?
Kildare Alfa is offline  
Status: 1750TBIecusoftware.. done!.40+bhp
AO Silver Member
 
ALFA TUNER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Merseyside
Posts: 3,480

Member car:

various Alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildare Alfa View Post
Thanks - have you used Joe Power?

I Googled Joe Power & came up with this website. Car Chip Tuning, Diesel Tuning, ECU Remapping, Dyno Dynamics | Chipped Ireland

Is it the same guy?
He is very good
ALFA TUNER is offline  
Status: 17 inch teledials :)
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 1,273
Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildare Alfa View Post
Thanks - have you used Joe Power?

I Googled Joe Power & came up with this website. Car Chip Tuning, Diesel Tuning, ECU Remapping, Dyno Dynamics | Chipped Ireland

Is it the same guy?
Nope but anyone I know who has had theres remapped by him has only good things to say. And gus has good things to say as well.
Scortho is offline  
(Post Link) post #25 of 31 Old 21-02-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Kildare Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 219
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scortho View Post
Nope but anyone I know who has had theres remapped by him has only good things to say. And gus has good things to say as well.
Yeah, I've only seen good reviews for Joe Power.

Mine was in for a service in Ti Autos on Fri. While I was there, I had a good chat with Gerry and David about my options. The consensus was that a remap won't really solve my problem because (given my very low mileage), a diesel is just the wrong engine for me anyway.

I'm officially on the hunt for a 1750 Tbi!
Kildare Alfa is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , jtdm , remap

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome