Good Place To Buy Half Decent Alfa / Ireland - HELP ? Advice? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 16-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Westmeath

Member car:

Looky Looky Good Place To Buy Half Decent Alfa / Ireland - HELP ? Advice?

His Guys,

I had to change user name as lost old email. I currently have a 156, which is very much on its last legs. This is my fourth 156, before that I had Lancias [showing my age lol]

I am on disability pension, so money is very tight. I have had brand new Alfas in my time, used to be money was not such an issue.

I know in the UK that there are places to buy second hand decent Alfas for or to borrow enough to buy a decent older Alfa. What are the options in Ireland? I cannot find anywhere, where you can get credit or buy a car on terms. I know I could get a half decent 147 for 1,500 or 2,000 euros.

I am kind of desperate or I would not post, [pride is a painful thing!] I have a son in Uni, another son 16 and need transport to get to see them etc. Monthly payments would not be a problem, but I just cannot seem to find anywhere. Credit unions expect you to already have around a 1000 in the bank.

Any help, advice etc would be so appreciated!

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, its the only RoI forum I could see. I am used to posting in the 156 forum.

Regards - Jude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Welcome back to AO Jude, I haven't any useful advice but hopefully someone else will be able to help
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Since this is really more about finance than cars my suggestion would be to go and ask over on boards.ie:

Banking & Insurance & Pensions - boards.ie

Once you have the financing sorted then you're free to look at all the usual places (Done Deal, Carzone, eBay, the ads here etc.) for your Alfa.

Good luck!
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9 JTS

Credit in Ireland can be a dodgy affair - I had first hand experience; about two years ago I was denied finance for a new laptop. We are talking about 800 euro; To this day, I do not know why: full time employed, decent salary, no outstanding bills/payments/other debts. When I asked, the girl on the other side of the phone simply went "we can't disclose that". Funniest and craziest thing ever...I am not allowed to know something about me.

You could try asking the bank you have your account in; they usually are a little less "difficult" than other credit institutions as they know more or less everything about you already. It's the way I went when it came to change cars

As for the car itself, the usual channels as Paddy OPlastic mentioned; Being an Alfa and Lancia man through and through you probably know this already, but be prepared to a long process: the offering is scarce in quantity and often quality (poor specs and the ever-so-present allergy to maintenance a lot of Irish drivers seem to have!).

Good luck man!
AO Member

[QUOTE=H3llR4iser;10251737]Credit in Ireland can be a dodgy affair - I had first hand experience; about two years ago I was denied finance for a new laptop. We are talking about 800 euro; To this day, I do not know why: full time employed, decent salary, no outstanding bills/payments/other debts. When I asked, the girl on the other side of the phone simply went "we can't disclose that". Funniest and craziest thing ever...I am not allowed to know something about me.

You could try the Irish Credit Bureau for a credit report on yourself. Here's the link

Irish Credit Bureau - Credit Referencing Agency - Dublin, Ireland

It could highlight some issue that may be causing a problem with your rating. Most Irish financial institutions use the Bureau.

(Apologies OP if this is a little bit off topic.)
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Very on topic Joey IMO.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9 JTS

[QUOTE=Joey;10252225]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3llR4iser View Post
Credit in Ireland can be a dodgy affair - I had first hand experience; about two years ago I was denied finance for a new laptop. We are talking about 800 euro; To this day, I do not know why: full time employed, decent salary, no outstanding bills/payments/other debts. When I asked, the girl on the other side of the phone simply went "we can't disclose that". Funniest and craziest thing ever...I am not allowed to know something about me.

You could try the Irish Credit Bureau for a credit report on yourself. Here's the link

Irish Credit Bureau - Credit Referencing Agency - Dublin, Ireland

It could highlight some issue that may be causing a problem with your rating. Most Irish financial institutions use the Bureau.

(Apologies OP if this is a little bit off topic.)
Been there, done that - they came back with a nice empty sheet, as I never had a single loan/credit/finance before in my life. Never been late for a single payment, be it the bills, rent or whatever you can name. The only thing I can think, at the time I had started a new job since a month or two; Still, I was very much working before that - I simply switched companies.
The only other thing I can think about, and I don't want to, is that I am not Irish and the finance provide might have feared I'd just **** off with the debt...
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare
Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeobscure View Post
His Guys,

I had to change user name as lost old email. I currently have a 156, which is very much on its last legs. This is my fourth 156, before that I had Lancias [showing my age lol]

I am on disability pension, so money is very tight. I have had brand new Alfas in my time, used to be money was not such an issue.

I know in the UK that there are places to buy second hand decent Alfas for or to borrow enough to buy a decent older Alfa. What are the options in Ireland? I cannot find anywhere, where you can get credit or buy a car on terms. I know I could get a half decent 147 for 1,500 or 2,000 euros.

I am kind of desperate or I would not post, [pride is a painful thing!] I have a son in Uni, another son 16 and need transport to get to see them etc. Monthly payments would not be a problem, but I just cannot seem to find anywhere. Credit unions expect you to already have around a 1000 in the bank.

Any help, advice etc would be so appreciated!

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, its the only RoI forum I could see. I am used to posting in the 156 forum.

Regards - Jude
There's a decent chap in Wexford who has good alfas for sale from time to time (fresh belts, suspension parts if need, brakes if needed etc and all oem) that a few of us on here are happy to recommend.
I'd have no problem buying another alfa of him.
With regards finance, I wouldn't take a loan out on a car for 1500, especially not an Alfa. Far to risky in my opinion. Alfas are brilliant when they work, it's because of this that most of them overlook the problems that arise (as I'm sure you know by now).

Pm for good price on parts for your 156 v6
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 17-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Thumbs Up Thanks Guys ....

Thanks so much Guys,

I think when you work, its hard to imagine how hard it is to survive lol.

I know when I was working, it was hard to ever imagine surviving on what I do now. That is the problem, you don't have enough to save or build up a decent credit history.

I had my own company designing software for many years, I got ill for 3 years, [many things at once, age 43] and my "Friends" whom I had left my company with, stripped it, sold the assets and I was left with nothing after 15 years of hard work. I employed 25+ people, but it was UK and US based, I had to pass day to day control to a couple of friends in the US whom I had known for 20 years. That was all she wrote. Kind of a life lesson.

Now I am ill, its very hard finding a way to fund getting even an old car lol. In a way, its even a bummer that there are no places that lens at high rates to high risks.

Well, thanks for the help, I will find something, my poor old 156 is not quite dead yet lol!

Many thanks

Jude
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 17-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Oh...

SCortho,

Before Alfas, I drove Lancias lol. Trust me I know about Italian cars and their oddities.

A second hand Alfa, even high mileage if looked after is as good as "any" other marque! Its the fringes [electrics and bits that go wrong lol]

If its take a loan for 1500 - 2000 or walk, its not such a hard choice, trust me

Jude
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeobscure View Post
Thanks so much Guys,

I think when you work, its hard to imagine how hard it is to survive lol.

I know when I was working, it was hard to ever imagine surviving on what I do now. That is the problem, you don't have enough to save or build up a decent credit history.

I had my own company designing software for many years, I got ill for 3 years, [many things at once, age 43] and my "Friends" whom I had left my company with, stripped it, sold the assets and I was left with nothing after 15 years of hard work. I employed 25+ people, but it was UK and US based, I had to pass day to day control to a couple of friends in the US whom I had known for 20 years. That was all she wrote. Kind of a life lesson.

Now I am ill, its very hard finding a way to fund getting even an old car lol. In a way, its even a bummer that there are no places that lens at high rates to high risks.

Well, thanks for the help, I will find something, my poor old 156 is not quite dead yet lol!

Many thanks

Jude
Really sorry to hear that Jude.
I do hope things get better for you.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufasa View Post
really sorry to hear that jude.
I do hope things get better for you.
+1

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
advice , alfa , buy , decent , good , half , ireland , place

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page