Alfa GT 1.8 Sportivo - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 19-08-14 Thread Starter

County: Dublin

Member car:

Alfa GT

Alfa GT 1.8 Sportivo

Hi guys , new to the forum.

I just have a couple of questions about the GT model in the title. I recently bought a mazda 6 from a garage but it clapped up after 2 weeks and had to be returned.

I had 3 months warranty so the dealership has offered me a replacement and he has a 2005 GT sportivo 1.8. I cant find much info on these as mostly people seem to own the diesel JTD.

I really love the styling of these cars but would like a bit more information on them if possible.

I can post the link to the exact car if it would help.

Any info much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

1.8 is the T-Spark engine - same as you will find in the 156 - so whatever you read about the 1.8 TS in the 156 applies equally to the GT as far as I know. Regular checking of the oil level and timing belt changes at 3 years/36,000 miles the main issues. No balance belt on the 1.8TS which is a good thing I guess.

Listen for a diesel sound on startup - if present, could indicate the variator is on the way out.

The rest of the car - suspension components wear, not unique to GT. Look out for any rattles in the trim etc - not serious but can be annoying. Rust underneath might be an issue if it's been imported - not terminal, but no harm in treating. The ride is hard enough on the GT on the standard shocks and springs. Check for wear on the inside of the front tyres - if present, suggests alignment is off. Easily corrected but means a new set of tyres! Check that all electrics are working and that all warning lights go out when they should...

Post up the link surely til we get a look at it. As with any other Alfa, evidence of service history from a reputable garage/mechanic are almost essential if you want to reduce risk.

The car looks much better with leather and minimum 17" wheels. Looks even better on 18" but then you need to have it lowered....

Cowboys Ted, they're a bunch of cowboys!
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 19-08-14 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa GT

Cheers for the quick reply. I obviously wouldnt be too knowledgeable mechanically but those are fairly straight forward things to look out for. I'll be sure to have a look myself and make sure the dealer double checks everything.

Alfa Romeo GT 1.8 SPORTIVO 3DR Petrol 2005 Hatchback for sale in Castleknock €4,450

That's the link for the car. I havn't been up to see it yet either but hope to get a look the weekend. I'll check up on the service history etc then.

I just love the styling on the GT , interior looks like a nice place to sit as well.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Looks nice - 17" wheels, leather, BOSE sound system.

Timing belt should have been changed this year (3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever is sooner). Unless there are receipts or a stamped service history, don't believe anyone who says it has been done.

If you are unsure mechanically, then you really should have someone come with you who can provide some assurance but that's up to you.

NCT is good, not great. The car looks like it has been for sale for a long time (ad suggests 114 days!) - I wonder if it was priced much higher originally? The asking price looks a bit high, but I'm conscious it's a dealer/garage. Here's a private sale, very similar, for EUR 1500 less, bit of tax as well

Alfa Romeo 1.8 GT petrolÂ*For Sale in Dublin : €2,950 - DoneDeal.ie

Note that I don't think you are obliged to take the GT as a replacement. It is a very different car to a Mazda 6. Are you sure the GT meets your needs (the back seat is ok, but access is a PITA)?

You would do better getting your money back and buying privately IMHO - you would even get a JTD for that money if you were so inclined.
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 19-08-14 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa GT

Yes , i noticed the ad had been updated 114 days ago which i will have to pull the dealer up on.

It is just one of the cars he has in the garage that I inquired about as a replacement as I like the car itself. He has offered me a similar mazda 6 to the one I had or an 05 focus so im going to have a look at those as well. But neither is as nice a car as the Alfa.

As i said , I still have to do some investigation on the Alfa the weekend , gonna go look at it , check the service history etc and give it a test drive the weekend hopefully.

If i'm not happy with what he has to offer ill be looking for a refund and buying elsewhere more than likely. But then again I'm a bit weary buying private , particularly with no warranty. The dealer has offered me another 6 months or a year on the replacement car. Whatever it might be.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I can dig it - good luck then - as long as the GT meets your needs and feels modern enough for you, then go for it!

(looks like you need a rear boot badge if you buy it...)
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 19-08-14 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa GT

i'm only 24 so practicality and stuff like that dont bother me too much as I usually drive on my own or with just the 1 passenger.

Will see how it goes the weekend after a test drive anyway. I noticed the badge also

Thanks a lot for the input though. I'll be sure to post back if I decide to buy that or any other GT.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Fair enough, it's a grand car for 1 or 2!

Re the rear badge, you might be able to just replace the sticker - you can on the 159 anyway. Otherwise, you can buy a full badge on Ebay and there is a fitting guide in the 147/156/GT lounge.
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 19-08-14 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa GT

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind

County: Cork
Garage
Another thing to check is for damage on the sills where the car has been jacked in the wrong position, unfortunately it's a common enough issue.

And welcome to AO btw
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Another thing to check is for damage on the sills where the car has been jacked in the wrong position, unfortunately it's a common enough issue.
Very true. Never leave a GT unattended with anyone who intends to jack it up.
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 19-08-14 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa GT

Thanks again for the advice lads.
AO Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

GT

mpg isnt great. my water pump failed early - wrecked engine valves
other gremlins... sometimes temp says its -30 deg outside ?! comes and goes

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , sportivo

« Gtv tb | @Davie b »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page