Joining the Alfa crew... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 06-07-14 Thread Starter

County: Cork

Member car:

VW 1.9TDi

Joining the Alfa crew...

Evening folks,

Long time viewer but first time poster here. I've always had a soft spot for Alfas over the years and have been stupidly swayed by the opinion of Joe Bloggs down the pub

However, now that I've grown a pair, I'm ditching my vulgar 1.9TDi VW tractor and joining the Alfa Appreciation Society . Hence, this is where I need a bit of help please!

Requirements are fairly simple - petrol, max. 2.2, personality and looks...typical Alfa really. Budget is a max of 6k for now. With this is mind, I've always had a major soft-spot for Breras and drove down to Waterford last week to have a look at this one Alfa Romeo Brera - 2006 NCT June 2016*For Sale in Waterford : €6,250 - DoneDeal.ie - beautiful car but a few concerns, namely a broken drivers seat, very shaky steering wheel above 100k, rear brakelight not working, chain not replaced (but detailed service history), lots of knocking on uneven roads, no spare wheel and a few blemishes on the bodywork.

My second preference to Breras would have to be the GT, of which there's a good selection in Ireland. Does anyone have any views on the selespeed? Having read some bits and pieces online the general concensus seems to be to avoid them - Alfa Romeo GT Automatic...NCT 2/16*For Sale in Dublin : €4,950 - DoneDeal.ie .

Other than the above, does anyone have any views on the 1.8 versus the 2.0 in the GT's?

In the meantime, many thanks for any advice in advance!

Signed,

A very bored VW owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

I've got a 156 Selespeed for the past 21 months.
It's really grown on me-I'd hate to go back to a foot clutch TBH.
I know a guy in Wexford who is very handy with them too (spanners wise).
In saying that if it's running badly it can be very financially painful....
All about the service history!
Best of luck with search.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Hi Cul,

Ive never owned a brera but for 6k the Brera would be a ropey one tbh . As you can see I own a GT . Its a 06 with 50k miles on it ( yes 50K) . Anyway if you are going for ownership of an Alfa the Gt will not dissapoint . 1.8 to 2 litre Petrol engine is not a major difference but try the diesal its got all the bells and gives fair MPG as well.

A GT for 6k would be a better buy than a 6k Breara
AO Member

County: Tipperary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Hi Cul,

Ive never owned a brera but for 6k the Brera would be a ropey one tbh . As you can see I own a GT . Its a 06 with 50k miles on it ( yes 50K) . Anyway if you are going for ownership of an Alfa the Gt will not dissapoint . 1.8 to 2 litre Petrol engine is not a major difference but try the diesal its got all the bells and gives fair MPG as well.

I respectfully disagree Dermo.
I had a Brera and changed it for an RX8 and even a 230bhp Cupra and neither were in the same league. No choice but to get another.
Also having driven several GTs I would personally prefer the Brera. Interior is an amazing place to be most will agree that they look stunning. My current one is one of the most dependable cars I have ever driven too. Skipped through the NCT this week.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Its why we are here , if we all agreed then there would be no point in discussions .

But did you purchase the Brera it for 6k ? If so then you got a bargain .
AO Member

County: Tipperary
Quote:
Its why we are here , if we all agreed then there would be no point in discussions .

But did you purchase the Brera it for 6k ? If so then you got a bargain .
I got it for close enough to it, and got him to replace the timing chain before I took it. Poor guy got a rather large fright with that bill.
AO Member

Madness

Having owned both,the GT a 04 2.0 JTS and currently driving a 2.2 Brera,I would prefer the Brera but that's just my own personal taste

GT:
Great sound,lovely to look at,great to drive and put a smile on your face,bit smaller up front for the driver,I am 6ft 3 but I fitted perfectly,the back seats you can fit people for a short journey.

Cons
Windows whistled at 100k ,bump and rattles from the suspension and squeaks,my brother owned a selespeed one,I had the manual,he had a lot of trouble with selespeed,but in my opinion I preferred it,made it feel special

Brera:
Great sound,pulls like a train,the interior is a much nicer place to sit in,really feels much better quality and special,great spec on both cars,the glass roof is lovely on a sunny day,up front you have more space,but in the back there is practically none,

I would gladly own either,both are special places to sit,most important thing is service history,I would recommend driving both cars and see which one you prefer,if you are around cork anytime,more than welcome to drive mine,

Hope this helps ,either way you go prepare for a smile on he face everywhere you go,but to stop at the petrol station to pay for the happiness
(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 12-07-14 Thread Starter

Member car:

VW 1.9TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Welcome to AO Cul, hopefully you won't be a very bored VW owner for much longer
]
Thanks David, looking forward to joining the crew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I've got a 156 Selespeed for the past 21 months.
It's really grown on me-I'd hate to go back to a foot clutch TBH.
I know a guy in Wexford who is very handy with them too (spanners wise).
In saying that if it's running badly it can be very financially painful....
All about the service history!
Best of luck with search.
Cheers Mufasa, great to know for future reference. With all my arsing about, that selespeed is gone now so the search continues

Quote:
Hi Cul,

Hi Dermo - that really says what I was thinking to be fair! The brera I've posted above looks stunning, but does need at least 1k to get it up to what I would deem right for the motor. Would you suggest getting it and going ahead with the work? My only concern is that if an enthusiast lets a car go that way and passes comments such as "should polish out", then something inside really tells me to walk away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C View Post
Having owned both,the GT a 04 2.0 JTS and currently driving a 2.2 Brera,I would prefer the Brera but that's just my own personal taste

GT:
Great sound,lovely to look at,great to drive and put a smile on your face,bit smaller up front for the driver,I am 6ft 3 but I fitted perfectly,the back seats you can fit people for a short journey.

Cons
Windows whistled at 100k ,bump and rattles from the suspension and squeaks,my brother owned a selespeed one,I had the manual,he had a lot of trouble with selespeed,but in my opinion I preferred it,made it feel special

Brera:
Great sound,pulls like a train,the interior is a much nicer place to sit in,really feels much better quality and special,great spec on both cars,the glass roof is lovely on a sunny day,up front you have more space,but in the back there is practically none,

I would gladly own either,both are special places to sit,most important thing is service history,I would recommend driving both cars and see which one you prefer,if you are around cork anytime,more than welcome to drive mine,

Hope this helps ,either way you go prepare for a smile on he face everywhere you go,but to stop at the petrol station to pay for the happiness
Cheers for the detailed contrast Bryan! I'm with you 100% on what the Brera feels and looks like compared to the GT. Part of me wants to go out and just get one but a small part tells me to wait. Have you had any contact with the black one I posed originally seeing as they're fairly rare? Many thanks for the offer of a drive in your Brera by the way! Could've saved me the drive to Waterford for it if I posted this a few days earlier

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone,

Cul.
(Post Link) post #10 of 18 Old 13-07-14 Thread Starter

Member car:

VW 1.9TDi

Bryan C - had meant to say if you have a spare half hour some evening would be great to catch up and have something to compare a potential purchase to I.e. What's normal and what isn't!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cul_irl View Post
Bryan C - had meant to say if you have a spare half hour some evening would be great to catch up and have something to compare a potential purchase to I.e. What's normal and what isn't!
I wouldnt say mines perfect by any means,but sounds much better than the one in waterford, but i will get her there,working all nights unfortunately this week,but ill know tuesday how i am set next week,so ill send you pm and we can organise something

Also i rang that guy in waterford,in the photos it does look stunning,has the colour and alloys you would want,but in the end i viewed my rubino red one first and couldnt leave without it
AO Member

Sorry Cul IRL for never getting back onto you,it wouldnt leave me pm you,but just to let you know my Alfa Romeo Brera is now up for sale, heres the link if you are interested
Alfa Romeo Brera*For Sale in Cork : €5,750 - DoneDeal.ie
(Post Link) post #13 of 18 Old 18-08-14 Thread Starter

Member car:

VW 1.9TDi

Ah Jesus Bryan, you're about two weeks two late! I gave up the hunt and bought an MX5 roadster instead. I knew I recognised the car, followed you on Instagram a few weeks back when I was thinking of changing :-)

Well wear with the A4 ;-)

Darragh
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Ah Jesus Bryan, you're about two weeks two late! I gave up the hunt and bought an MX5 roadster instead. I knew I recognised the car, followed you on Instagram a few weeks back when I was thinking of changing :-)

Well wear with the A4 ;-)

Darragh
You dint buy the mx5 in Dublin by any chance did you?
(Post Link) post #15 of 18 Old 18-08-14 Thread Starter

Member car:

VW 1.9TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
You dint buy the mx5 in Dublin by any chance did you?
I did *he says with hesitation* - why?

Last edited by Cul_irl; 18-08-14 at 20:30.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
I did *he says with hesitation* - why?
We traded in this a few months ago, thought it would be great if someone I knew bought it!
http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/M...t?channel=CARS
(Post Link) post #17 of 18 Old 31-08-14 Thread Starter

Member car:

VW 1.9TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
We traded in this a few months ago, thought it would be great if someone I knew bought it!
Mazda MX-5 1.8I***Full Service History***Low Miles***As New***Finance Available*** Petrol 2007 Cabriolet for sale in Dublin 3 €8,950
Had that on the list to have a look at, but went for an 07 sunlight silver roadster instead!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Joining the Alfa crew...

Quote:
Had that on the list to have a look at, but went for an 07 sunlight silver roadster instead!

Good luck with the new car. MX-5 is a great car. One thing to look out for is damp in the passenger footwell, there is a known problem with the drains in that model. It was fixed under warranty in the US but not Europe, we had it done on our car, think it cost about 300.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , crew , joining

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page