Tour de Ireland - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 04-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
Tour de Ireland

Hi all, I'm taking the plunge and taking my S2 Spider for a tour round the South West in August with my daughter, I'll probably rent a cottage down Killarney way but am looking for some good driving roads in the area, any thoughts would be welcome
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Moll's Gap & the Healy Pass are worth a look https://maps.google.ie/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature
Start in Killarney, over Moll's Gap, through Kenmare, over the Healy Pass, onto Adrigole, then maybe on to Glengarriff.

Nice scenery if the weather is good https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/meets...ly-2010-a.html
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

The words "good", "roads", "south" and "west" do not belong together in the same post! Please beware the suspension-killing potholes while you're here.

David's right about the Healy Pass provided you don't get stuck behind a hire car (depressingly likely). The Ring of Kerry is always a winner. You can't go wrong really; just point the pointy end at a road and go.

Member car:

GTV

I spend some time down in Kerry - around Dingle - and one of my favorite places to drive is over the Conor Pass. It's basically the link to the other side of the Dingle peninsula - a road to nowhere almost!
If you have no traffic in front of you, you can let it rip, winding roads, stunning scenery, dangerous drops. It's a shortish route but really exciting to drive.
And I usually hold back waiting for the road to myself - well worth the few seconds it may take.
There is a tight tight squeeze when you get to the top, you have to try and see if anyone is coming before committing as there is only room for 1 car.
The beauty of it is that you have to come back down on the other side and there are lots of places to stop and wait for that moment to go, the view from the top is spectacular and there is a car park there.
And Dingle is probably my favorite town in Ireland, so bonus that I arrive there after the drive.
AO Silver Member

County: Galway

Member car:

147 1.6TS

The new ish M6 is good, Galway to Dublin all the way.
Then dual carriageways 20 mile south of Galway at Gort that runs most of the way south to Cork.
Roads marked N stand for national and are like UK A class, sometimes with a extra left lane like a hard shoulder, usually great roads wide with the hard shoulder/tractor lane/ bus lane, not really to sure how to class that extra lane.

Loads of spectacular scenery to see and places to stop, enjoy the tour o Ireland
Killarney is beautiful.
(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 05-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Great - thanks for the hints, I'm really looking forward to it - my spider is well prepped for the rain but you never know....., my bro lives near Kilkenny so I'll stop overnight there on the way down from the ferry and make it a relaxed drive.
thanks
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare
Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Where will you be coming in?
If dublin, id strongly recommend the military Road and the sally gap.

You should also take her (the spider that is) on the Vee gap.

Both of them are through the mountains, the first being from Rathfarnham in dublin 14/16 to glendalough in Co wicklow and then onto Blessington in Wicklow. It is one of my favourite driving routes, lots of nice bends to have fun in and some amazing scenery.

The second, takes you from Cahir in Tipperary to Lismore in waterford (or go the other way from Kilkenny).

If you're up near Mayo, a personal favourite of mine is the curraun peninsula and Atlantic Drive in Achill, starting in Mulranny and you can either do a short loop at Dooega and back towards Achill sound, or head on out to Keem, which in my books is the best descent to a beach in this Country.

An option worth checking out is the Wild Atlantic Way, a 2400 km route from Cork to Donegal. Not saying you should do it all (go on you know you want to) but theres specific routes that allow you to do it in stages.

Pm for good price on parts for your 156 v6
(Post Link) post #8 of 20 Old 06-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well I booked it this morning - we are heading to a nice little cottage outside Glengarriff for a week in August w/c 23rd , taking the Fishguard Rosslare ferry.
Thanks for the tips Scortho, we should be able to do some of that, I know the North much better than the South but did go to Achill when I was four!
Are there any events down that way I might you guys at?
Cheers
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare
Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

The italian 100 is on this year in cork the weekend before.....
(Post Link) post #10 of 20 Old 13-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Week and bit to go - getting excited now - looking forward to a leisurely (cant be much else at 25mpg) cruise from Rosslare to Glengarriff on the 24th hopefully dropping into Cork on the way, shame I'll miss the meet.

Garage
Enjoy, hopefully you'll have a great trip & some nice scenery down this part of the country
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 14-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks David - got some routes planned out ready
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Remember that while youre in Kerry if you can see the mountains its raining and if you cant see the mountains its still raining

Enjoy youre trip
(Post Link) post #14 of 20 Old 22-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Remember that while youre in Kerry if you can see the mountains its raining and if you cant see the mountains its still raining

Enjoy youre trip
Thanks for that really useful tip......- I lived in Donegal originally so I know what you mean
(Post Link) post #15 of 20 Old 31-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Just got back yesterday - what a trip - my fav was the Healy Pass - so empty and beautiful and even the road surface was good, thought Molls Gap was overrated - too many cars and coaches, did the R of K anticlockwise so no coaches to hold me up but TBH I preferred the Ring of Beara - much quieter. My arse is still sore from the beating it got on some the roads but it was so worth it - Italy next year I think

Garage
Glad you enjoyed it (I saw your pics in the other thread) Yes the Healy Pass is a really nice bit of road, nice being able to see the road winding down from the top down towards Adrigole
(Post Link) post #17 of 20 Old 31-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

It was a great driving holiday - when I was driving up it the second time from the Lauragh side I met a 38 tonne artic coming down so I guess the truckers like it as well........., I still cant believe he drove over the top! - loved the "wild atlantic way " too
PS just seen your thread about the Killarney meet - the waterfall was in full flow when we went - very spectacular - we tried to find the Barley Lake as well but got to the top of the mountain on a rough road and decided to turn round as it was getting a bit scary - that's when one of my spark plugs failed - would that have been the way to the lake?

Last edited by Joe90GT; 31-08-14 at 14:30.

Garage
An arctic truck on the Healy Pass, I wouldn't like to meet one on some sections of the road

I'm getting the impression that the way down to Barley Lake isn't great to say the least, as I said in the other thread it's a long time since I've been there but I do seem to remember the road down wasn't great & very narrow (I wasn't driving)

Last edited by David P; 31-08-14 at 16:02.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

The lake road, especially near the top, is pretty bad and, as I said in the other thread, I wouldn't take the GT up there. Worth the view if you can get to to the top though.

"The Wild Atlantic Way" came as a surprise to most of us on the coast and we were expecting great things. Ha! I suspect someone in government has connections to a signage company which needs a top-up after the miles-to-kilometres bonanza.
(Post Link) post #20 of 20 Old 31-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
The lake road, especially near the top, is pretty bad and, as I said in the other thread, I wouldn't take the GT up there. Worth the view if you can get to to the top though.

"The Wild Atlantic Way" came as a surprise to most of us on the coast and we were expecting great things. Ha! I suspect someone in government has connections to a signage company which needs a top-up after the miles-to-kilometres bonanza.
I street viewed it and it was the one we were on but its tight especially in my non pas spider - if you met someone it would be a right PITA - great views tho

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
ireland , tour

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page