car advice- buying 2nd hand - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Tipperary

Member car:

alfa 147 t spark

car advice- buying 2nd hand

hi all

as per my recent post my alfa 147 has seen its last days on the road.
while i totally enjoyed driving the 147 it felt sturdy and strong on the road,the upkeep for such a car is not in my possibilities anymore.

so i am scrapping/selling the broken alfa 147 (havn't decided totally what i will do as i want most i can get )

anyways so i am now in the market for a new 2nd hand car with about 1500e to spend on it.

i am looking at done deal daily and in my head i really want a golf or a polo but preferably a golf.

thing is i know very little about cars in general altough since i joined octane i did read heaps and picked some tips etc.

the car is going to be doing 400+ miles a week, motorway driving nenagh to limerick possibly for 6months to a year while i finish my course. so want something that isn't gonna kill me on petrol and isn't too expensive to maintain.(saying that i was putting in 85euro into the 147 on petrol alone a week)

i was saying a toyota starlet etc at first to myself,but i don't want to have to drive 60mile an hour,i want something that has a little bit of power i.e a golf 1.4l, there are some nice looking ones on done deal but honestly i wouldn't have a clue if its a goodun or not even after a test drive lol so just asking for some tips and recommendations if possible from u guys

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraise View Post
hi all

as per my recent post my alfa 147 has seen its last days on the road.
while i totally enjoyed driving the 147 it felt sturdy and strong on the road,the upkeep for such a car is not in my possibilities anymore.

so i am scrapping/selling the broken alfa 147 (havn't decided totally what i will do as i want most i can get )

anyways so i am now in the market for a new 2nd hand car with about 1500e to spend on it.

i am looking at done deal daily and in my head i really want a golf or a polo but preferably a golf.

thing is i know very little about cars in general altough since i joined octane i did read heaps and picked some tips etc.

the car is going to be doing 400+ miles a week, motorway driving nenagh to limerick possibly for 6months to a year while i finish my course. so want something that isn't gonna kill me on petrol and isn't too expensive to maintain.(saying that i was putting in 85euro into the 147 on petrol alone a week)

i was saying a toyota starlet etc at first to myself,but i don't want to have to drive 60mile an hour,i want something that has a little bit of power i.e a golf 1.4l, there are some nice looking ones on done deal but honestly i wouldn't have a clue if its a goodun or not even after a test drive lol so just asking for some tips and recommendations if possible from u guys

thanks
If you're doing that sort of mileage wpuld it not be better getting a diesel?
(Post Link) post #3 of 24 Old 19-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 147 t spark

have never driven a diesel before and have not gave it thought, i will look whats available to me tho

thanks.
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

That budget gets you into 00/01 golf/leon range. Be warned, the 1.4 fitted to this is slow and thirsty. (Ive had one for 7 years) 25mpg in town and 36 on a run. 60 litres in the tank will send you approx 350/400 miles if youre gentle and overtaking is terrifying. The 1.4 came with 75 bhp when it was new. Asking it to haul around the golf/leon body is a big ask. They can be fond of oil too so youll still have to keep an eye on levels.

reliability has been god on mine. In 7 years all ive done is service and clutch. Its been one of the best cars ive owned but the lack of power and epic thirst means its gone as soon as the wife gets used to driving.

dont rule out the 1.3 starlet, theyd leave the golf standing on power and economy.

Good luckcwith the search!
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare
Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
If you're doing that sort of mileage wpuld it not be better getting a diesel?
He would be, but I wouldn't touch a diesel in his price range, save for a 156 2.4 jtd.

Op if it was me I'd go ford fiesta 1.25. It's reliable and can pull the car, as opposed to the 1.4 in the golf which is woefully slow! I had a 1.2 polo 9n prior to my 156 and even though it was a polo, the engine was woeful.

On the other hand none of those cars would be comfortable for a 400 mile commute and the one thing I want would be something comfortable.
With that in mind I wouldn't say no to a 156.
This one here has been recently belted as well as a new variator, 4 new wishbones, new clutch and has test until 2015. PRICE DROP: Alfa 156 1.6TS NCT Jan '15*For Sale in Wexford : €1,625 - DoneDeal.ie

Pm for good price on parts for your 156 v6
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffyduff View Post
That budget gets you into 00/01 golf/leon range. Be warned, the 1.4 fitted to this is slow and thirsty. (Ive had one for 7 years) 25mpg in town and 36 on a run. 60 litres in the tank will send you approx 350/400 miles if youre gentle and overtaking is terrifying. The 1.4 came with 75 bhp when it was new. Asking it to haul around the golf/leon body is a big ask. They can be fond of oil too so youll still have to keep an eye on levels.

reliability has been god on mine. In 7 years all ive done is service and clutch. Its been one of the best cars ive owned but the lack of power and epic thirst means its gone as soon as the wife gets used to driving.

dont rule out the 1.3 starlet, theyd leave the golf standing on power and economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scortho View Post
He would be, but I wouldn't touch a diesel in his price range, save for a 156 2.4 jtd.

Op if it was me I'd go ford fiesta 1.25. It's reliable and can pull the car, as opposed to the 1.4 in the golf which is woefully slow! I had a 1.2 polo 9n prior to my 156 and even though it was a polo, the engine was woeful.

On the other hand none of those cars would be comfortable for a 400 mile commute and the one thing I want would be something comfortable.
With that in mind I wouldn't say no to a 156.
This one here has been recently belted as well as a new variator, 4 new wishbones, new clutch and has test until 2015. PRICE DROP: Alfa 156 1.6TS NCT Jan '15*For Sale in Wexford : €1,625 - DoneDeal.ie
Fantastic advice from Fluffy and +1 on the Zetec engined Fiesta.
If I needed cheap and cheerful at short notice I'd be looking at one of them.
Donedeal search in just Tipp:
Ford Fiesta Cars For Sale in Tipperary - DoneDeal.ie
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Before I bought the Brera I drove a 1.3 petrol 99 Corolla for a few years to get me through college.

Bought it for €2k, covered just over 60k miles in 3 years on it and sold it for €1k last summer. It was bullet proof, never a break down and never cost me an extra euro beyond regular servicing/maintenance.

That being said they're neither the best looking or the fastest cars on the road!! Think I averaged 35ish mpg.

Last edited by JD_Brera; 20-02-14 at 13:40.
AO Member

im currently in a 01 Yaris 1l .. couldnt pull its self out of a paper bag but the 63mpg average keeps me in it. and even less goes wrong with these than with the 1.3 corolla's .. not even the timing belts (it uses a chain)
(Post Link) post #9 of 24 Old 19-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 147 t spark

guys great advice much appreciated.

i think tho i do need a bit of style/looks, the fiesta zetec is not too bad looking tbh

with the golf if i went to a 1.6 does that change the scenario? like would running costs be very high? would it be the same as my 147 1.6?

i will have another look at whats on offer i think , really hate paying 85-90 euro weekly just to get to and from school

thanks again everyone
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
The 99-00 corollas (frogeye) are dirt cheap, and very reliable, despite the fact that quite a few of them are ex-rentals. The Fiestas are good idea as well, but don't rule out the 1.6 Focus (I just sold one after owning it for 13 years, never ever let me down). what about the Fiat Puntos?
(Post Link) post #11 of 24 Old 20-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 147 t spark

i have had 2 puntos and didnt like either

at the moment im swaying between
golf
polo
corrolla
fiesta
focus

will keep looking at the ads til next week then pounce

thanks again for all the input
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Fantastic advice from Fluffy and +1 on the Zetec engined Fiesta.
If I needed cheap and cheerful at short notice I'd be looking at one of them.
Donedeal search in just Tipp:
Ford Fiesta Cars For Sale in Tipperary - DoneDeal.ie

Zetech engined Fiesta all the way. My missus has one and I absolutely rally it around the place. Handles well and isn't too bad to move.
(Post Link) post #13 of 24 Old 20-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 147 t spark

someone mentioned earlier in the thread about NOT getting/or staying away from diesel engines in my price bracket

what is the reason for this pls?
(Post Link) post #14 of 24 Old 20-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 147 t spark

also for my price range is my best option a private sale

i always think of going to a dealer but paying like 400e extra on a 1k-1.5k car seems mad

whats opinions on that pls and any advice on that

p.s just put my alfa on donedeal i think i put everything on the ad have i missed any good details?
http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...k-1-6l/6458489

Last edited by checkraise; 20-02-14 at 19:36.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraise View Post
also for my price range is my best option a private sale

i always think of going to a dealer but paying like 400e extra on a 1k-1.5k car seems mad

whats opinions on that pls and any advice on that

p.s just put my alfa on donedeal i think i put everything on the ad have i missed any good details?
Alfa Romeo 147 tspark 1.6L*For Sale in Tipperary : €550 - DoneDeal.ie
no compression on 3rd cylinder. whats the cause of that do you know? and how much to fix ?
(Post Link) post #16 of 24 Old 28-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 147 t spark

i have no idea of cause i was actually meant to ask same question myself. I topped oil up every saturday morning and checked levels etc so not sure.

prices have varied, i have been told 700-1500 and also 200 and 300........i think the 700-1500 is repairing/replacing exhaust valves all the valves instead of just one.
(Post Link) post #17 of 24 Old 28-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 147 t spark

p.s u guys will hate me but i bought myself a 2002 black 1.4 peugot 307.

it was the nicest car i saw tbh, i saw some real bangers. golfs etc

anyways i hope this car just gets me through a year or two maybe 3! with few/little problems
AO Member

County: Meath
Quote:

Bwaaaaaaaa???!!!!!!

I've a 520i that does far better than that!!!!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

33 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarder View Post
Bwaaaaaaaa???!!!!!!

I've a 520i that does far better than that!!!!!

Thats the main reason its being launched this summer. I didn't notice increased running costs when I switched to the 3.0 166
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Thats the main reason its being launched this summer. I didn't notice increased running costs when I switched to the 3.0 166
We support you 110% in your decision to switch to the 166!!!
AO Member

Quote:
Yep those figures look pretty accurate. A good friend of mine has had a few 1.4 Golfs over the years. Shocking consumption alright, more worrying however was the rate at which they all consumed oil...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patterson View Post
Yep those figures look pretty accurate. A good friend of mine has had a few 1.4 Golfs over the years. Shocking consumption alright, more worrying however was the rate at which they all consumed oil...
VAG petrol cars are actually known (and by the garages) that they consume large amounts of oil as they get older. the oil seals on the cylinders start to go. and OEM ones are crap. not sure about spurious ones. would never buy a petrol vag car (Volkswagen Audi group, WV, Audi, Seat, Skoda)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

33 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublevin View Post
would never buy a petrol vag car (Volkswagen Audi group, WV, Audi, Seat, Skoda)
So I assume I cant tempt you into a nice '01 Seat leon can I?
AO Member

Quote:
So I assume I cant tempt you into a nice '01 Seat leon can I?
not unless its a diseaseal or a cupra

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
2nd , advice , buying , car , hand

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page