On the lookout for V6 sportwagon. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 08-01-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

On the lookout for V6 sportwagon.

Alright lads. Do any of you know of a V6 sportwagon (running or not) that is for sale anywhere on this emerald isle? I have an idea (don't i always).
bat_lezerby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: 00 V 00
AO Silver Member
 
alfamj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 1,315

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
I have an idea (don't i always).
Please..... go on........ elaborate



To answer your question: I don't know of any but will keep an eye out for one on DD etc
alfamj is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 38 Old 09-01-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

Well I haven't VRTd the 156 yet due to sheer lazyness and the christmas nonsense etc.

I have always wanted a sportwagon. Specifically, a facelift V6 with nice mods that sounds like the apocalypse. That got me thinking. I now have a soloon that has all the mods I would ever want on a 156. All if not most of the parts are interchangeable (engine included). I was thinking of buying a sportwagon and swapping everything over, facelifting it. Getting it sprayed / wrapped white and putting it on grey gta teledials with a tan interior.

If I don't VRT the 156 I have at the moment it would give me 800 euro towards the build. I am thinking if I was to do this in a mates garage it could be done cheaply enough (maybe I am wrong). It was something that I have had in my head since before buying the car and it would make sense to do it and not VRT the one I have.

The major issue would be sourcing a V6 sportwagon cheap. Would a JTD do the job? I have a lot of questions. I think I may take them over to the 156 lounge.
bat_lezerby is offline  
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,772
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
Well I haven't VRTd the 156 yet due to sheer lazyness and the christmas nonsense etc.

I have always wanted a sportwagon. Specifically, a facelift V6 with nice mods that sounds like the apocalypse. That got me thinking. I now have a soloon that has all the mods I would ever want on a 156. All if not most of the parts are interchangeable (engine included). I was thinking of buying a sportwagon and swapping everything over, facelifting it. Getting it sprayed / wrapped white and putting it on grey gta teledials with a tan interior.

If I don't VRT the 156 I have at the moment it would give me 800 euro towards the build. I am thinking if I was to do this in a mates garage it could be done cheaply enough (maybe I am wrong). It was something that I have had in my head since before buying the car and it would make sense to do it and not VRT the one I have.

The major issue would be sourcing a V6 sportwagon cheap. Would a JTD do the job? I have a lot of questions. I think I may take them over to the 156 lounge.
Depending on how much work you're prepared to do Barry.
If you source a TwinSpark you need to change wiring looms and ECUs etc.
But I wonder if that's the way to go.
There are a few SWs about for very small money.
Mufasa is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 38 Old 09-01-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Depending on how much work you're prepared to do Barry.
If you source a TwinSpark you need to change wiring looms and ECUs etc.
But I wonder if that's the way to go.
There are a few SWs about for very small money.
Well tbh I would want to do as little as possible. Teh ECU etc would need to come with the engine because of the remap etc.

I have read that a TS shell is far too much work. Also for tax / insurance purposes a V6 would be so much easier.
bat_lezerby is offline  
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,772
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
Well tbh I would want to do as little as possible. Teh ECU etc would need to come with the engine because of the remap etc.

I have read that a TS shell is far too much work. Also for tax / insurance purposes a V6 would be so much easier.
I hear ya...
Mufasa is offline  
Zoo
Status: TCT Changed my life!
AO Silver Member
 
Zoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 4,841
Garage
I cannot wait to see this happen!
Zoo is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 38 Old 09-01-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156zoo View Post
I cannot wait to see this happen!

If it happens. I am really hoping someone reading this has an Irish reg V6 Sportwagon sitting in their drive that they don't want. They are rare as rocking horse poo over here. I wonder if there are even any on the road?
bat_lezerby is offline  
Zoo
Status: TCT Changed my life!
AO Silver Member
 
Zoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 4,841
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
If it happens. I am really hoping someone reading this has an Irish reg V6 Sportwagon sitting in their drive that they don't want. They are rare as rocking horse poo over here. I wonder if there are even any on the road?
Whats the damage to import one from wales?
Zoo is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 38 Old 09-01-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156zoo View Post
Whats the damage to import one from wales?

Too expensive with VRT. They absolutely rape us over here for it. It would be a matter of taking the money I would give to the tax man and putting it into the sportwagon instead. I'm definitely not going to go through the import process again. By the time you pay for the ferry, flights etc. It adds up. Could someone mail me Pat in Wexford's number please?
bat_lezerby is offline  
Zoo
Status: TCT Changed my life!
AO Silver Member
 
Zoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 4,841
Garage
plus there is only 1 V6 Wagon for sale in the UK at the mo
Zoo is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 38 Old 09-01-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

Well there is a twinspark V6 for sale:

2003 alfa romeo For Sale in Laois : €2,200 - DoneDeal.ie
bat_lezerby is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 38 Old 09-01-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156zoo View Post
plus there is only 1 V6 Wagon for sale in the UK at the mo
They are stupidly rare. I will probably never find one in Ireland. I would love to know if there are any on the road even.
bat_lezerby is offline  
Zoo
Status: TCT Changed my life!
AO Silver Member
 
Zoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 4,841
Garage
Cars ain't cheap out there!
Zoo is offline  
Status: Living the dream
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 167
No such animal as a T spark V6
JETRO is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 38 Old 09-01-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETRO View Post
No such animal as a T spark V6

I know man.
bat_lezerby is offline  
Status: Less traction, more action :D :D :D
AO Member
 
Hoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Meath
Posts: 151
I has a Sportwagon just sitting here

Tis a lowly 1.8 though.....

If you were to do the conversion, I'll be doing it on the saloon you see beside it, to give you an idea of the work involved. Front is fully stripped as is a lot of the interior. Just a matter of rewiring the whole car when I get a chance and adding a few bits such as the tank pipework ac pump delete etc, have a few V6 looms to choose from

Last edited by Hoarder; 09-01-14 at 16:47.
Hoarder is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,730
You need a V6 Sportwagon as a donor car to make the project feasible. If its a V6 donor car, its a week's work. If its a TS donor, double it and add a bit for head-scratching.

But IMO its a bad idea - at the end of the day its still going to be a thirsty, expensive car to run, just a little more practical. Keep the saloon for weekends and fun - maybe garage it for the coldest 6 months and get something else to use alongside. Twinspark SW or maybe just a totally different car, something practical if thats what you need. A SW is probably the most impractical estate on the market!

BTW whats the difference in annual tax between a GTA SW and a 2.5 V6 SW in Ireland?

Autolusso Penrith - UK's leading independent Alfa Romeo specialist with branches in Bedfordshire, Cumbria & Dorset

Wizard Exhaust systems available here

Tel: 01768 879 171
Pud237 is offline  
Status: Living the dream
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 167
Annual Road Tax

2.5L €1080

3.2L €1809


JETRO is offline  
(Post Link) post #20 of 38 Old 09-01-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
You need a V6 Sportwagon as a donor car to make the project feasible. If its a V6 donor car, its a week's work. If its a TS donor, double it and add a bit for head-scratching.

But IMO its a bad idea - at the end of the day its still going to be a thirsty, expensive car to run, just a little more practical. Keep the saloon for weekends and fun - maybe garage it for the coldest 6 months and get something else to use alongside. Twinspark SW or maybe just a totally different car, something practical if thats what you need. A SW is probably the most impractical estate on the market!

BTW whats the difference in annual tax between a GTA SW and a 2.5 V6 SW in Ireland?

Well the SW idea came to me because we got a dog and my head is ruined with him on the leather and the SW would be ideal.I don't need it for buggies, boxes or the likes.

The running costs are the running costs. I did have a bit of a freak out at the start as you know. It took a while to get used to the needle going down so fast and I find that if I stand with my back to the pump at the petrol station I forget how much juice it actually uses. In saying that the first fuel bill hits the bosses desk this week.

I also really, really like the look of the SW. The chances of finding one are slim and **** all. Also it would be a cool as hell car, something really different. To register the saloon is going to cost 800. So if I got a SW cheap enough I was thinking that I could do the conversion over a few weekends at a mates place. He has ramps and all that jazz.

Finding one is close to impossible tbh. So it will probably come to nothing..

........but if you do happen to have a V6 SW sitting in your drive give me a shout.


Road tax is an omnishambles over here. It pains me. I would have a GTA on the drive in the morning if it wasn't so crazy.
bat_lezerby is offline  
(Post Link) post #21 of 38 Old 09-01-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarder View Post
I has a Sportwagon just sitting here

Tis a lowly 1.8 though.....

If you were to do the conversion, I'll be doing it on the saloon you see beside it, to give you an idea of the work involved. Front is fully stripped as is a lot of the interior. Just a matter of rewiring the whole car when I get a chance and adding a few bits such as the tank pipework ac pump delete etc, have a few V6 looms to choose from
Are you doing a TS to V6 conversion at the moment? How are you finding it?

I would have no interest in taking that on. It would be heartache on so many levels. I struggled enough with insurance etc. on the one I have. I am not going down that road again.
bat_lezerby is offline  
Status: Less traction, more action :D :D :D
AO Member
 
Hoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Meath
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
Are you doing a TS to V6 conversion at the moment? How are you finding it?

I would have no interest in taking that on. It would be heartache on so many levels. I struggled enough with insurance etc. on the one I have. I am not going down that road again.
I have the bay stripped and the interior almost fully stripped. It is a headache though, requires a lot of patience.... I'll be making a bust at it in a few weeks as I'll have a lot more time

Just as an example, all this needs to be swapped over. They run the length of the car!
Hoarder is offline  
(Post Link) post #23 of 38 Old 09-01-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarder View Post
I have the bay stripped and the interior almost fully stripped. It is a headache though, requires a lot of patience.... I'll be making a bust at it in a few weeks as I'll have a lot more time

Just as an example, all this needs to be swapped over. They run the length of the car!

Oh jesus. I would rather be beat to death with a tea spoon over the course of a few months.
bat_lezerby is offline  
Status: Less traction, more action :D :D :D
AO Member
 
Hoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Meath
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
Oh jesus. I would rather be beat to death with a tea spoon over the course of a few months.
Someone has to do it at least if it goes wrong the car owes me nothing and I have a load of parts to sell off
Hoarder is offline  
(Post Link) post #25 of 38 Old 09-01-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarder View Post
Someone has to do it at least if it goes wrong the car owes me nothing and I have a load of parts to sell off
I suppose if you just have it lying there......
bat_lezerby is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
lookout , sportwagon

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome