Got some bad news :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

4Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 118 Old 19-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Got some bad news :(

I brought my car in to Gerry a few weeks ago as it was making a few funny noises going up through the gears.
He thought it may be a power steering whine as the fluid was low. Topped it up, but the next day the noise was back.
Brought it in for a closer inspection and it turns out that something happened to the gearbox and there is a hole in the casing and the gears are FUBAR.

Gerry is going to see if he can source a 2nd hand replacement and I'm waiting for a quote from him but either way the fix ain't going to be cheap.

The really bad news is that it doesn't really make economical sense to fix it given its current value and it can't possibly come at a worse time for me financially as I am getting married in March and we are saving every last cent for it.

Furthermore the plan was always for both of us to trade in our cars for something more practical. I was holding out for something like a Giulietta and she was going to get something smaller like a Fiesta. But with this latest development and with the finances being the way they are I may have to get the smaller car now as I need something to get to work.

If the quote comes back from Gerry and it is beyond what I am willing to pay I will unfortunately have to sell her for next to nothing as that is what she us worth.

Obviously I'd love for her to stay within the family here and whomever may end up with it, once the gearbox is fixed will end up with a great car.
It has just had a t belt service and 2 new toyo proxies within the last 6 months. Within the last year its also had a new exhaust. The suspension and alternator has been done also. All work has been carried out by TI Autos.
If anyone wants any more details please let me know.

Sorry for the brain dump and sorry for being so quiet recently but I really am not taking this very well!

Like AO - RoI on Facebook AO - RoI Facebook Group

Subscribe to AO - RoI on YouTube AO RoI YouTube

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cogito ergo sumo Alfa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
That's a real pity Gav especially as you've put so much into it

Hopefully Gerry will have some good news for you & that the quote will come in cheaper than you expect.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Jesus that's a **** one.
Would a gearbox from a 156 twin spark do it?
There's a few gtv's being broken at the moment that may still have the box in it.
If it's just had the belt etc. I'd say it'd be worth doing the box.

Also economically viable? What alfa ever is
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

Surely you could source a recon box from the UK? The way I look at it Gav. You have had that car so long that it holds sentimental value for you. There isn't much point in selling it for next to nothing.

If you were to look into the economic value of fixing Alfas you would never do anything to them. Think long and hard before jumping the gun. Trust me. I still pine after my DC5 and would buy it back in the morning if I could.
AO Member

County: Meath
Garage
P1 gtv being broken in dunboyne in meath. I put the details up only last week in the for sale thread. He had the gearbox there too.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

Hard luck Gav. Not a good time at all is it. I hope you can get her sorted and back on the road.

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetech74 View Post
P1 gtv being broken in dunboyne in meath. I put the details up only last week in the for sale thread. He had the gearbox there too.

Details in the breaking post here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...ml#post5307557
AO Member

County: Tipperary
That is terrible new altogether. Hopefully you can sort her in budget
(Post Link) post #9 of 118 Old 20-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Cheers lads I'm just pondering whether or not to cut my losses.
AO Member

Member car:

916 Spider

Sorry to hear that Gav, but, as said above, think long and hard about giving in - better the devil you know and all that, you know that car inside out so if spending a few quid on the gearbox is what it takes it might be worth doing it. The alternative is buying an unknown quantity that may need work done on it anyway?

If it's any help, I was planning on putting the Spider off road from end of December until spring, but if you want a loan of her to tide you over for a bit I'd be happy to let you have her - as a loan! You'll have to give her back!

'76 Spider -> '93 164 -> '99 146 Junior -> '97 GTV -> '99 Spider....
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Id sit down gav and do the sums when Gerry gets back to you. If its had loads of work done recently you'd be better of keeping me thinks
If it was the other way around and the belt was due to be done as well, Id be considering selling then.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibo View Post
Sorry to hear that Gav, but, as said above, think long and hard about giving in - better the devil you know and all that, you know that car inside out so if spending a few quid on the gearbox is what it takes it might be worth doing it. The alternative is buying an unknown quantity that may need work done on it anyway?

If it's any help, I was planning on putting the Spider off road from end of December until spring, but if you want a loan of her to tide you over for a bit I'd be happy to let you have her - as a loan! You'll have to give her back!
That is about the soundest thing I have ever read on a car forum. Fair play Cibo.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
That is about the soundest thing I have ever read on a car forum. Fair play Cibo.
+1
Gav-don't make any rash decisions... And sorry to hear it....
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
If you can arrange transport from Co.Antrim i have a P1 gearbox sitting in my garage taken out from a 1997 GTV and i will give it with a guarantee, you can have it for the price of a crate of beer and a couple-a-bottles of wine. The issue you face though is installing it and i would suggest doing it yourself as its not as difficult as you might think as you do not need to remove the engine just the body mount and 4 engine screws and remove gearselector rods and a few other bits and bobs and bob should be your uncle. If you fancy the idea drop me a pm.
AO Member

Member car:

916 Spider

Quote:
You know Gav, he will probably look after it even better than me and, if I am lucky, he might even wax it before giving it back!
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
If you can arrange transport from Co.Antrim i have a P1 gearbox sitting in my garage taken out from a 1997 GTV and i will give it with a guarantee, you can have it for the price of a crate of beer and a couple-a-bottles of wine. The issue you face though is installing it and i would suggest doing it yourself as its not as difficult as you might think as you do not need to remove the engine just the body mount and 4 engine screws and remove gearselector rods and a few other bits and bobs and bob should be your uncle. If you fancy the idea drop me a pm.
Gav I might be able to help with transport if this is an option for you. I have to go up that direction with work next week and could take a detour.
AO Member

County: Meath
Garage
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffyduff View Post
Gav I might be able to help with transport if this is an option for you. I have to go up that direction with work next week and could take a detour.
Wow great bunch of lads in this forum
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

True gents

Gav, as Rory said, don't rush into any decisions yet. That GTV is special and you will regret selling it.

I am working 9-5 mon-fri, but if you want to take a trip during the weekends for parts or whatever, give me a shout
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Quote:
The awkward moment a week later that your gearbox ****s itself.
Very sound of you though
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Quote:
The awkward moment a week later that your gearbox ****s itself.
Very sound of you though
(Post Link) post #21 of 118 Old 20-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Quote:
You know Gav, he will probably look after it even better than me and, if I am lucky, he might even wax it before giving it back!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
True gents

Gav, as Rory said, don't rush into any decisions yet. That GTV is special and you will regret selling it.

I am working 9-5 mon-fri, but if you want to take a trip during the weekends for parts or whatever, give me a shout
Lads I really am humbled by such generosity I really couldn't believe it when saw those posts. This is the kind of thing that makes this site so great.

I got the quote from Gerry and it is more than I am willing to pay unfortunately.

When I bought the car it really was heart over head but I am at a point now where it needs to be the other way around for a short while.

I have put the car up on done deal for 400 but I will of course accept less than that from a member. I'll add pics to the ad when I am on my PC next.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...-spark/6024776
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Gav I might give you a call about this tomorrow. I am half thinking of buying it as a fixer upper for my GF. She is doing her test in a few weeks.
(Post Link) post #23 of 118 Old 20-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Gav I might give you a call about this tomorrow. I am half thinking of buying it as a fixer upper for my GF. She is doing her test in a few weeks.
I really would love it if it was kept on the road. A day with Gerry would have her sorted, it was my daily driver for work until last Friday!
AO Silver Member

Garage
That is sad news GTV_Gav.
I think you you should get the gearbox of Eau_Rouge and try to install it yourself
I am sure you can put up a thread about the installation and be guided through step by step.
Even if you decide to sell it later on, it will be worth more...
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Gav, if you get the box off Eau_Rouge, surely that'll bring the cost at Ti Autos down..?
It'd be such a shame to scrap the auld girl, for the sake of a gearbox.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
bad , news

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page