Considering taking a look at this 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 03-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
Considering taking a look at this 147

Howdy y'all,

I posted on here a while back previously when I had the Alfa itch, but never bought in the end. I have been smoking around in an old Volvo S70 the last while which would be a textbook victim of our tax system, costing approximately 250% its value for a 12 month disc. It now also requires a new clutch and crankcase maintenance kit, so I'm going to park it away for the moment and think of what to do with it besides weighing it in.

Basically, I am on the lookout for a smaller car with a bit of style and individuality and is hence why I am drawn back to Alfa once again. I am a 22 year old male who insurance is still costly for and have been thinking of 1.6 litre 147's and 156's (of which the latter is somehow coming in at 200 euro cheaper to insure). While I have seen nice 156's which have fitted my criteria in the past, there are slim pickings of quality examples within my budget on DoneDeal at present. I have however found this 147 which has the right visual impact for me, a recent timing belt change (supposedly) but no NCT: Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 petrol For Sale in Dublin : €800 - DoneDeal.ie

I have been on to the guy selling it who is foreign and seems all right. I am considering taking a look at it at the weekend and bidding low at 500-600 euro to make it worth my while and maybe work upwards from there.

Would I be taking a big risk considering it has little service history and no test? All thoughts and opinions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Well to be honest for that type of money its not bad in the pics , but I have bought a few Alfa's in my time and looked at so many "lemons" when they looked so nice on the add. If I was buying any car I would buy one with some life left in its NCT .. You could buy this car and find out you have to replace a few bits (to get it to nct standard) that can add up to the price of the car . Think of it this way , if the car would pass an NCT , why would a seller not put it through ? 50 yoyo's isnt a lot and to have a lovely new shiney NCT sells a car faster than none . The other point is that even if it failed the NCT at least you would have an idea of what the car needed

Alfa Romeo 2001 Nctd For Sale in Roscommon : €950 - DoneDeal.ie

The one I just posted may not be to your liking but has NCT ..

Any car is worth a look , you can always walk away !

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurvesGrundy View Post
Howdy y'all,

I posted on here a while back previously when I had the Alfa itch, but never bought in the end. I have been smoking around in an old Volvo S70 the last while which would be a textbook victim of our tax system, costing approximately 250% its value for a 12 month disc. It now also requires a new clutch and crankcase maintenance kit, so I'm going to park it away for the moment and think of what to do with it besides weighing it in.

Basically, I am on the lookout for a smaller car with a bit of style and individuality and is hence why I am drawn back to Alfa once again. I am a 22 year old male who insurance is still costly for and have been thinking of 1.6 litre 147's and 156's (of which the latter is somehow coming in at 200 euro cheaper to insure). While I have seen nice 156's which have fitted my criteria in the past, there are slim pickings of quality examples within my budget on DoneDeal at present. I have however found this 147 which has the right visual impact for me, a recent timing belt change (supposedly) but no NCT: Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 petrol For Sale in Dublin : €800 - DoneDeal.ie

I have been on to the guy selling it who is foreign and seems all right. I am considering taking a look at it at the weekend and bidding low at 500-600 euro to make it worth my while and maybe work upwards from there.

Would I be taking a big risk considering it has little service history and no test? All thoughts and opinions are welcome.
Ideally if you don't know much about the workings of cars (like myself) it always pays to get a mechanic to look at it with you. I'd always be wary of cars with no NCT. It costs 55 quid to put it through but would add a few hundred quid to the value potentially so i'd always presume there's something needed.
AO Member

County: Kildare
I'd take it for a good test drive, if the suspension in reasonable order and the body is straight then it's probably worth a punt. Although it's unlikely you'll find a 147 in perfect order for 600 to be honest. Most cheap ones will be needing suspension work and if you've no history of a belt change then you'll need to budget for that to. Unless of course you pick up the car for so cheap you're willing to gamble with the belt, wouldn't advise it though.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

OK, thanks for the replies everyone.

I found this tonight and think it looks pretty safe down to the amount of recent work it has done: 1.6TS Taxed 12/13 , NCT'd 03/14 For Sale in Wexford : €1,250 - DoneDeal.ie

I'm thinking of ringing and offering 1k and see if he will deliver to Dublin.
AO Member

That looks very nice indeed. Given the high mileage I'd say he'd take a grand. I would never buy a car without seeing it first though, what if he arrives to Dublin in it and it's a bucket? I went to see a GT last year that looked great in the photos and turned out to be a dog. Maybe get the bus to Wexford and he can meet you at the stop? Best of luck - first Alfa's always a memorable experience.
AO Member

Also is that 156 a bit creased on the side skirt and wheel arch in the second pic in the ad?
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 04-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_danimal View Post
Also is that 156 a bit creased on the side skirt and wheel arch in the second pic in the ad?
Noticed that myself and it is the one bugbear that is holding me back. The seller on the phone said it's nothing deep and can be hidden with some side skirts off a Veloce or Sportivo.

Love the interior in it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
147 , taking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page