Who do you trust with a welder? Rusted Sills. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 28-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Meath
Garage
Who do you trust with a welder? Rusted Sills.

Jacked up my spider the other day and was gifted with some rusty paint flakes on the driveway On closer inspection I discovered a lovely rust hole about the size of my thumb. Pics attached...

http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/Da..._0916.jpg.html

As I have committed my funds to bargain interior refurb, that's also been mostly paid for, I will be taking this on myself... famous last words I hear you say.

I have no problem sanding and cutting out the rust but its been years since I welded anything and I don't have a welder. Can ye recommend anyone?

Interior comes out Sunday so rust gets removed next week...

I will take photos along the way.

Suggestions please.

Davetech74 - Kells
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jim33

If I had time to fart I'd do it for you Dave, I have my (old) mig here with a roll of gasless 0.8 on it, you are welcome to borrow it for a weekend if you get no better offer. I haven't any gas for my new one as the 156 is turning into a bloody money pit and I have only had it a month.

I'll PM my number and let me know today if you can and I'll bring it home from the workshop.

(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 28-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Nice one will have to practice a little I think...
Jim33

No worries, just use it on the lowest setting and adjust the wire feed to suit.

(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 01-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Busy day yesterday.

Big thanks to a great bloke Jim33 thanks for a lend of the MIG, nice looking wagon too!

So started off by taking the interior out, door cards, seats & handbrake/gearstick gaitors. These are getting recovered & recoloured by Stiched Up Autos in Dunsany Meath - car upholstery ireland ,vintage ,classic car trimming, upholstery, motor bike seats honda suzuki yamaha,ducati harley davidson - Homepage

I also gave them a phase two steering wheel I got out of a crashed GTV to recover, before pics here - Spider Interior Photos by David_Carpenter | Photobucket

Then I jacked up the car, got an axle stand under it and got the sill cover off - http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/Da...ml?sort=3&o=10

I bent the sill lip back to where it should be and ran over it with the wire brush. Then I marked out where I thought good metal was around the rusted area. I then got my drill out and roughly went along the line as a guide for cutting out the metal. - Sill Bent Back Into Shape Photo by David_Carpenter | Photobucket

I didn't cut out the total area I marked out. I cut up until the sill joint and then assessed the area. I am glad I didn't as it was mostly light surface rust after that. - http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/Da...tml?sort=3&o=2

I got the wire brush attachment out again and cleaned up the rust on the inner sill you can see inside the hole and then painted the area with hammerite KRust. I got a pot scrubber sponge and cut it in half attached a opened out wire coat hanger to it and soaked it in KRust too. I ran this back and forth up and down inside the sill channel in case there is more surface rust starting anywhere else. - Special Tool For Reaching Up The Inner Sill Photo by David_Carpenter | Photobucket

I also took off the steering wheel then just to get the interior completely finished and called it a day.

More later today...
Jim33

Bloody hell, you waste no time dave!

I love the 'special tool' aswell

Look forward to the end result.

(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 01-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Well, I horsed on this morning and made some more progress.

I got some card and made a template of the hole cutout from the sill. Then I called around to Bective Precision on the Cavan roadand a nice bloke cut out some mild steel blanks for me and charged me nothing. Some Beers on the way for them - Template Made From Sill Cutout & Metal Cut From Template Photo by David_Carpenter | Photobucket

I roughly bent it into shape with a Vice-Grips and a Hammer. Made sure it fit the cutout in the sill and then clamped it into place. I got my cordless drill and drilled some holes in the blank/patch. I ran them through the patch and on a little into the sill. These were plug welded one by one. - http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/Da...tml?sort=3&o=9

I spotted the patch at two inch intervals and the joined the dots. To tell the truth my welds are not pretty but the were good enough (tested with a hammer all the way around). I ground one or two off and started again at the start but they ended up in good shape... this wasn't the end product but I didnt take too many pics - SAM_0954.jpg Photo by David_Carpenter | Photobucket

When everything was cooled off I sprayed a can of Waxoil into the inner sill through the grommet/bolt holes on both sides. I sprayed the outside with stone chip - http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/Da...tml?sort=3&o=0

And then finished off the can of waxoil on the outside of the sill - SAM_0957.jpg Photo by David_Carpenter | Photobucket

The other side wasn't bad at all, just needed straightening out. Tired now, calling it a day...

Last edited by Davetech74; 01-07-13 at 20:52.
Jim33

Looking good man! I dare say your welding skills are fine, that gasless wire can be awkward, especially when doing thin stuff.

In one of your pics it kind of looks like the tin of waxoyl is holding the car up

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Fair play to you Dave
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim33 View Post
Looking good man! I dare say your welding skills are fine, that gasless wire can be awkward, especially when doing thin stuff.

In one of your pics it kind of looks like the tin of waxoyl is holding the car up
Does that welder run off 240v.? Does it need an uprated fuse (like wot the cooker does)
(Post Link) post #11 of 18 Old 05-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
It runs on 240v but Jim33 will have to answer the rest as he owns it.

Actually, I was talking to one of the lads in my job about the welding job I did and his mate makes up custom exhausts for bikes and is always doing small welding jobs like this. If anyone is stuck I get the number and pass it on. I think he is in the Maynooth/Dunboyne area.
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
Does that welder run off 240v.? Does it need an uprated fuse (like wot the cooker does)
My welder runs off standard 13amp plug. The next model up from mine needs a 16amp feed.
AO Gold Member

What make is yours Frank..?
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

It's a Clarke. Think it's either a 135 or 151, can't remember exactly. Bought it off machinemart.
Jim33

Yea, 13amp is fine for hobby welders, my new welder is 150amp and is ok on a regular plug.

If you are looking to buy a welder George, don't buy Cosmo or Sip. They. Are. ****3. I got a brand new on given with bits of the torch missing, got the bits on ebay for about a tenner but the problem is the wire feed on them. I have downloaded a wiring diagram to convert them to run on a dedicated 24v supply for the wire feed as without it the feed is erratic whilst its arcing. It really is a piece of junk without it, but after the mod it's supposed to be quite a capable machine.
I hope it's decent as the MIG Davetech is using is VERY old and looks like somthing from madmax! It used to be my dads and I learnt to weld on it when I was a nipper, so that'll tell you how old it is

AO Gold Member

I'll keep an eye out for a used one on DD and the likes..

Then, I'll be building a Megatron. World domination is my quest. Watch this space.. :mygrin1:

County: New South Wales
Great thread, nice fix. How did Alfa prep the inner sills from the factory, prime and paint? From the manual the outer sills are galvinised so as you've found the rot will start from the inside? Any ideas how your sill got in such a state?
(Post Link) post #18 of 18 Old 22-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
I would say the damage started from jacking the sills & stone chip damage and the car was also from Northern Ireland where they use a lot of salt on the roads during winter. Combination of the two.

I only have the car 7 weeks but so the rot is there a while. From what I know its a common enough place to find rust on the Spider.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
rust , rusted , sills , trust , welder , welding

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page