Accelera tyres aka clown shoes for your car... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 14-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Meath
Garage
Accelera tyres aka clown shoes for your car...

Accelera tyres aka clown shoes for your car...

I needed two tyres for the front of my 156 last month and didn't have a huge amount of cash to spend. I went to the tireshop in Navan as I've gotten good deals there before on other cars and the guy did me a deal on two 215/40/17 Accelera's for 80 each. I went for it as it sounded a good deal.

The new tires were ok at first, it solved a vibration I was getting at 120kph on the motorway and the old ones were pretty worn. TiAutos had just done a wheel bearing & top arm on the front and had tracked it afterwards so suspension wise the car was set up fine. David had pointed out that the tyres would probably not pass the NCT test coming up so thats how I ended up buying them.

After working a night shift the first week I had them I had a 37mile drive home in the wet. On the M3 it was ****ing down, I was doing about 100kph and the car didn't feel right at all. Steering felt light, like I was driving on an oil slick, I got off the motorway at navan and at the top of the slip road the car slid to a stop instead of breaking naturally. Its a double roundabout there and on the second roundabout the car slid sideways, changing lanes by itself. Gave me a right shock. I bought my current project a 96 spider that weekend and the weather started to take an upturn so I didnt do a lot of wet driving but everytime I was in the 156 i found it wasn't as grippy as usual. The reason I bought the Ti was it was so planted on the road and it just didn't feel right.

This week again I was in the rain and again it slid sideways on a roundabout just outside Kells. I am really slowing down now in corners, afraid its going to go out from under me. I was reading a post on the spider 916 forum of AO that someone else had Acceleras on their car and had to take them off as they were so bad in the wet so I had my suspicions.
My missus had to take it out in the rain the other day while I was doing the front pads on her car and she didnt think the car was right either so yesterday I brought the 156 back to The TyreShop in Navan and talked to a Lovely bloke Leonard that said he would replace them Today. I am also buying two more of the same tyres to have 4 matching tyres. I forget what they are called right now, i think it is Zeetex. I have read some good reviews this morning and apparently the "Pattern is a Dunlop SP Sport Maxx copy". Hopefully this will cure my woes.

Anyway I don't recommend Accelera tyres to anyone on a budget.

Davetech74 - Kells

Last edited by Davetech74; 14-06-13 at 08:41.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 14 Old 14-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Alot of tyre manufacturers sell the design of there older tyre designs to lesser known manufacturers.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

Those tyres sound very poor. Is the issue to do with lack of rain water clearance or just sheer poor quality rubber do you think? Tyres should not be that bad where you change lane inadvertently. Did you get a print out when you had the wheels tracked / aligned?

County: Cork
Garage
The Acceleras (Phi IIRC) in the correct size & rating in 19" for the 159ti etc seem to get good feedback from many in the 159 Tech Lounge, however in 18" on the same cars they get far less favourable reviews especially in the wet with some owners replacing them.
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 14-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
No, no print out as TiAutos used the old manual mirror type tools to track it. I worked in the motor trade and these old type tools are fine, ive used them loads of times on other cars myself. I dont think its a tracking/geometry issue at all.

I looked up some reviews on the accelera this morning after looking up the Zeetex tyres and eiretyre gives them an e rating in the wet, I think that says it all. - Accelera ***** 215/40 ZR17 87W - eiretyres.com
Jim33

Just fitted nankang ns2's on my one Dave, they stick like glue but I didn't get to try them in the wet yet since breaking mine
They were cheap too, I paid 295 for 4 of them fitted balanced with new valve etc, 17" rims, they get good write ups with only increased road noise being the biggest gripe.
If you want to double check I have the two fronts off mine at the minute, you are welcome to stick them on yours just to check the difference?

AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
I bought a RWD 200bhp car last year with Acceleras on the rear and found they were dire in the wet, some mid range Kumhos transformed it. I got a similar car later with Achilles on the rears and they seemed fine But I still got rid when I changed the rims.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Actually now that you mention it a garage in Dublin recommended Acceleras for my 280 bhp RWD car :O "yeah they're good I put them on the family's cars". When I heard that I was like wtf... I put on Falken 453s. Happy enough for the price.
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 15-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
4 zeetex on the car now, good in the dry so far, will comment on them after a good drive in the wet.

Thanks for the offer Jim, 295 for four fitted is a right bargain if they work out.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
There are 4, 30-40 square cm patches of rubber keeping you out of prison, or alive even. I wouldn't try to save money on tyres. I'm too pretty for jail...
(Post Link) post #12 of 14 Old 18-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
So after a couple of days driving and an 80mile round trip in the rain yesterday morning the four new Zeetex HP102's are a big improvment on the 156. Now I didnt cain it in the rain but then again I wasnt caining it with the last tyres either. Definite improvement though.
AO Member

Member car:

146 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
There are 4, 30-40 square cm patches of rubber keeping you out of prison, or alive even. I wouldn't try to save money on tyres. I'm too pretty for jail...
Does always amaze me how people buy cheap tyres. Often see lads building cars with performance brakes and engine parts, strut braces etc...and then sticking a set of nankangs on. Madness really
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

I have tried both on my Bravo Van and when it rained I got my umbrella and rain coat and left the van at home.. That was along time ago. Nothing but Bridgestones on any of the cars I have owned . As Mr Levante & Peter said you can have all the brakes , strut braces , susepnsion and then skimp on tyres .. Naw not a good idea !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
accelera , aka , car , clown , shoes , tyres

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page