I think I broke it... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Jim33
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I think I broke it...

My new 156

So, I'm on call this weekend so time is scarce. I needed to get new rubber on and get back in time to field the first wave of service calls at about 11am. This was done along with a quick wash with about 10minutes to spare

The first service call was in Navan so I thought, happy days, quick call then back home to enjoy the sun. I know, I'll take the 156. I threw my tools and a few bits in the back on headed off.

From Navan I had to go to Delvin across the N51 where I was behind an MPV of some description, it slowed to a crawl so I dropped a cog and booted it. This is where it went wrong, it would appear the car slowed for an uneven road surface and by the time I realised what was going on the (lowered) suspension bottomed out heavily twice in quick succession. It probably didn't help that I had all my tools in the back awell

The problem I now have is that the steering feels a bit vague but the main thing is it now gets a shimmy under acceleration between 50/60 and 80/100 ish, ease off the throttle and it fine, power down and the shimmy comes back.

I wonder have I bent something, buckled an alloy or two, or just thrown a weight from a wheel? I had no time today but I'm going to swap the wheels front to back to see if it makes a difference, that and while its jacked up see if anything looks a bit wayward.

I don't believe this, I'm absolutely loving my new car and I have ruined what I liked most of all, the handling really hoping this is a hiccup as opposed to acid reflux

Anyway, a couple of pics I made this morning before I broke it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (102.0 KB, 39 views)
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Jim33
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Won't upload more than one pic for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (109.5 KB, 18 views)
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Fluffyduff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ireland
County: Louth
Posts: 2,788

Member car:

33 16v

Ah jasus, hope its just a weight or something jim.
Fluffyduff is offline  
Jim33
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Me too man but google is telling me CV joints...

I'll know more tomorrow, did you get sorted with a door lock? And so it begins as they say...

 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Fluffyduff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ireland
County: Louth
Posts: 2,788

Member car:

33 16v

Done and dusted
Fluffyduff is offline  
Status: Fixing/driving/fixin g/driving...
AO Member
 
Davetech74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Meath
Posts: 314
Garage
I would get the wheels up to BC engineering in Beechmount Ind Est Navan. They can check out the wheels if this is the problem. My Ti front wheels are soft alloy so need to be straightened every year by them. They do wheel restoration too. I plan to bring the wheels of the spider to them in the next couple of weeks... 30 quid a wheel to straighten last time I was there and they do a great job
Davetech74 is offline  
Status: Fixing/driving/fixin g/driving...
AO Member
 
Davetech74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Meath
Posts: 314
Garage
Oh and nice wagon too, im a huge fan of them...
Davetech74 is offline  
Status: vvvrrrrrrooooommm
AO Member
 
Paddy1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 955

Member car:

Volvo 440

Oh no....
That's a shocker altogether, I really hope its nothing too serious.
The handling was my favorite thing too, damn that car knows how to take a corner!
I miss it actually, I'm starting to regret selling it, trying to replace it is not an easy task at all.
Paddy1982 is offline  
Jim33
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Right, quick update.

I had both the front wheels off today and BOTH outer cv boots are split, I've never seen them split like that after bottoming out but such is life, lesson learnt and all that.

With the wheels back on, I took it down the road (gingerly) and the shimmy between 50/60 is all but gone so I can only imagine that removing the wheels jacking it up, re seating the wheels and letting it back down again must have done somthing to settle it. With the spacers on the hub there is very little for the centre bore to sit on so maybe this had somthing to do with it? Anyway there is now a rhythmic knocking when I ease off the throttle aswell so UJ's are definitely shagged I think.
The car was going to Ti anyway in a couple of weeks, it will be just having an extended stay now...

I think the term is known as FML...

Anyone have a set of JTD driveshafts they don't need
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Fluffyduff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ireland
County: Louth
Posts: 2,788

Member car:

33 16v

Balls.
Fluffyduff is offline  
Status: And on the eighth day God made Alfas..!
AO Gold Member
 
pendragonfalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Carlow
Posts: 6,693
Wot he said... ^^^
pendragonfalls is offline  
Jim33
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Well, I started removing the driveshafts tonight after work but after I'd had a chat with my neighbour and got a 36mm socket off a mate, and had a cuppa, I didn't really get that far.

Front end is up in the air with the wheels off and track rod ends disconnected. I stopped there as I need to get a scissor type ballpoint separator as the fork type one I have is good for wrecking the rubber boots and not much else (add x1 track rod end to shopping list)

Once I have them off the car the good people of Ti Autos will be refurbing the shafts as I don't want to be doing it twice!

Reckon I'll have it done in time for Classic Car Live?

EDIT @ Davetech thanks for the tip for the wheel place mate, looking at my rims the lad has weights plastered all over the place so a once over wouldn't hurt I think.

Last edited by Jim33; 10-06-13 at 20:42.
 
Jim33
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
So, this evenings fun involved removal of the driveshafts. I left the cups in the gearbox as I had a good feel around and they feel nice and smooth on the inside, that and I couldn't get them out

Carrying on from yesterday I got a proper ball joint separator from halfords and removed the other track rod end and the ball joint on the two upper wishbones (no damage to rubber boots). With those removed its possible to tap out the splined shaft from the hub and remove the driveshaft complete with spider but with the cup still attached to the gearbox.

To get the cup out I read in a couple of other threads that you can attach a pair of mole grips to the cup with the spider in place and use the driveshaft as a kind of slide hammer to get it out, when I tried this the grips just kept sliding off the cup. Another method I read was to tie a rope around the cup (with the shaft removed) and twist a stick round and round until it popped. When I tried this I used a tow rope and a ratchet strap fastened to the 33, all this did was drag the 33 along the drive! So, I gave up.

One thing which was odd is that it looks like water has gotten into the inner CV boot as the grease has gone rusty looking and a bit emulsified, no idea how this has happened as the boot is in tact and the bands were nice and tight.

So now I have the shafts tucked away in my van hoping that I will get a job in Dublin tomorrow so I can drop them into Ti autos. I'm REALLY hoping that the outer joints are ok and just need new boots putting on but tbh I think at least the passenger side one is buggered. The two spiders are also completly knackered with lots of play in the bearings.

Y'know, on the one hand it sucks that the shafts have gone having just bought the thing but I am actually quite enjoying pulling the thing apart, I have the right tools and am just taking my time with it. I took a few pics of my progress, I'll try and upload them in order...
 
Status: skint!
AO Silver Member
 
cannotstop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 1,489
Garage
Well chin up as they say
You are doing great progress, and the knowledge and skill you acquire will help you forever.
And you will get your Alfa sort in progress.

You will get it back on the road yet.

Last edited by cannotstop; 12-06-13 at 10:14. Reason: zpelling eroor
cannotstop is offline  
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,779
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim33 View Post
So, this evenings fun involved removal of the driveshafts. I left the cups in the gearbox as I had a good feel around and they feel nice and smooth on the inside, that and I couldn't get them out

Carrying on from yesterday I got a proper ball joint separator from halfords and removed the other track rod end and the ball joint on the two upper wishbones (no damage to rubber boots). With those removed its possible to tap out the splined shaft from the hub and remove the driveshaft complete with spider but with the cup still attached to the gearbox.

To get the cup out I read in a couple of other threads that you can attach a pair of mole grips to the cup with the spider in place and use the driveshaft as a kind of slide hammer to get it out, when I tried this the grips just kept sliding off the cup. Another method I read was to tie a rope around the cup (with the shaft removed) and twist a stick round and round until it popped. When I tried this I used a tow rope and a ratchet strap fastened to the 33, all this did was drag the 33 along the drive! So, I gave up.

One thing which was odd is that it looks like water has gotten into the inner CV boot as the grease has gone rusty looking and a bit emulsified, no idea how this has happened as the boot is in tact and the bands were nice and tight.

So now I have the shafts tucked away in my van hoping that I will get a job in Dublin tomorrow so I can drop them into Ti autos. I'm REALLY hoping that the outer joints are ok and just need new boots putting on but tbh I think at least the passenger side one is buggered. The two spiders are also completly knackered with lots of play in the bearings.

Y'know, on the one hand it sucks that the shafts have gone having just bought the thing but I am actually quite enjoying pulling the thing apart, I have the right tools and am just taking my time with it. I took a few pics of my progress, I'll try and upload them in order...
Jim, sorry to hear of you trials and tribulations!
How much was the ball joint separator as a matter of interest?
(Writing as one who has the 'tuning fork' variety and has wrecked rubbers before too!)
Mufasa is offline  
Jim33
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannotstop View Post
Well chin up as they say
You are doing great progress, and the knowledge and skill you acquire will help you forever.
And you will get your Alfa sort in progress.

You will get it back on the road yet.
Thanks man, well it wont be on the road this weekend anyway as my new cv boots have not yet arrived at Gerrys, Damn postal service... To be fair gerry offered to fit spurious items but advised the proper ones are better. I don't plan on doing them again for a while so proper ones it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Jim, sorry to hear of you trials and tribulations!
How much was the ball joint separator as a matter of interest?
(Writing as one who has the 'tuning fork' variety and has wrecked rubbers before too!)
It never stops does it Rory? I was stuck so bought from halfords, 29.99 it was, its ok for my needs anyway. The only problem is its not big enough for the bottom ball joint but the only time you need to take the lowers off is for replacement so th fork type would suffice.
 
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,779
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim33 View Post
It never stops does it Rory? I was stuck so bought from halfords, 29.99 it was, its ok for my needs anyway. The only problem is its not big enough for the bottom ball joint but the only time you need to take the lowers off is for replacement so th fork type would suffice.
Thanks Jim and all the best with getting your bella sorted.
Mufasa is offline  
Jim33
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Thanks Jim and all the best with getting your bella sorted.
No worries, should be back up and running by Tuesday with a bit of luck.

Any ideas why I can't upload pics anyone??
 
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 84,961
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim33 View Post
Any ideas why I can't upload pics anyone??
No problem here posting attachments from a PC using IE, are you getting any error messages ? Are the pics the within the size limits ?
David P is offline  
Jim33
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
No problem here posting attachments from a PC using IE, are you getting any error messages ? Are the pics the within the size limits ?
I didn't see any error messages David, normally I just click upload and off they go.. Tried from my phone, iPad and desktop pc last night with no luck. I have a photobucket account just can't remember the login details, wil have a go with that tonight...
 
Status: And on the eighth day God made Alfas..!
AO Gold Member
 
pendragonfalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Carlow
Posts: 6,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim33 View Post
I didn't see any error messages David, normally I just click upload and off they go.. Tried from my phone, iPad and desktop pc last night with no luck. I have a photobucket account just can't remember the login details, wil have a go with that tonight...
Photobucket will know who you are, if you used your usual email address.
They will send you your log-in details.
pendragonfalls is offline  
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 84,961
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim33 View Post
I didn't see any error messages David, normally I just click upload and off they go.. Tried from my phone, iPad and desktop pc last night with no luck.

A few times I've had problems with the attachment window when using IE8 but no error messages were present, anytime that has happened I've used Chrome to attach the same pics & it has uploaded them with no problem.
David P is offline  
Jim33
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I'm using firefox on this computer, safari on the ipad and god knows what on my phone

If I come up against anything I don't understand regarding computers I give up. I just don't get along with them..

Anyway, a few pics via photobucket (here goes)

upper wishbone balljoint and track rod end removed, had already wound the hub nut off and tapped spline loose.
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...psbbf37a1b.jpg
you can see here where greased splatted around the arch from the boot
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...psc81d27b6.jpg
passenger side inner cv, with rusty deposits in the grease
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...ps86b6a4a4.jpg
very worn!
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6934d29e.jpg
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Fluffyduff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ireland
County: Louth
Posts: 2,788

Member car:

33 16v

The pic of the rope going to the 33 is brilliant
Fluffyduff is offline  
Jim33
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
no wear that I could feel inside the cup
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...ps934d8d0a.jpg
now, dont laugh but I read somewhere on here that a way to remove the cups was to use rope and then twist a stick around until it pops out.
I used rope, a ratchet strap and my 33 as an anchor and it just dragged the 33 across the drive!
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...ps938b9972.jpg
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5580b232.jpg
bad pic of the outer CV boot passenger side, looks like someone had tried to repair it in the past, looks like it worked for a good while too!
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2f2948e6.jpg
this is how she is sitting on my drive now, looking sorry for herself. not long now hopefully until I get the shafts back on and I can stop driving that bloody passat
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...ps00d6b930.jpg
 
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
broke

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome