Alfa Ownership & Registration - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

colken

Alfa Ownership & Registration

Has anyone else had this problem? In 2010 I bought what I thought was a brand new Brera. It had 0km on the odometer and a blank space for "date of first registration" on the Order Form. I have since discovered that I am not the first registered owner - Alfa Romeo preregistered the car three months earlier! It means that the car I bought, for all intents and purposes, was second hand, but that was never drawn to my attention. The reason I was given for the discount at he time of purchase was simply that it was last year of production and Alfa Romeo were discontinuing the model. I feel I was duped. Check your order forms if you "thought" you bought a new Alfa. If the registration date is blank, but the registration number is recorded, then chances are it wasn't new. Worth your while paying your €35 to motorcheck.ie to see what comes back. Am I the only one who was caught out by this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

That is extremely poor. I would definitely lodge a complaint with them. There must be some consumer protection regulations against that sort of thing.
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
Wait... Am I the only one who thinks this post is dodgy? So in 2010 you bought a Brera with 0km on the clock, you registered here in 2009. Since then this is your first post and your member car is a 159.
Sorry OP I dont think its a valid post, if Im wrong Im sorry but nah doesnt like a genuine complaint.
Think of it this way, I wouldnt register myself as having a Mito and then complain about a 159 I bought over 3 years ago which I subsequently changed and make it my first post in over 4 years
colken

yep, Bear, it is a valid post. I bought the 159 in 2008 and traded it in for the Brera two years later. What makes you think it was an invalid post? just because I haven't posted before?

colken

Oh....and thanks for reminding me to update my member car....I hadn't even noticed that

AO Silver Member

Quote:
yep, Bear, it is a valid post. I bought the 159 in 2008 and traded it in for the Brera two years later. What makes you think it was an invalid post? just because I haven't posted before?
My bad, as I said if I'm wrong then I'm sorry it was more the tone than anything else that got me thinking..

Anyway seeing as its genuine then I'm let to believe that anycar that is in the showroom is already secondhand?
colken

You are correct, Bear. However, they don't use words like second hand, or preregistered. Seemingly all manufacturers (other than VW, for some reason) preregister a number of cars to massage their sales quota with head office. They then sell them on to you at a discount. It's a case of "caveat emptor", I'm afraid. However, in my case the waters were muddied even more. Since the Brera was being discontinued and couldn't be shifted due to the engine sizes, I never associated the discount with preregistration and took the salesman at his word that the discontinuation was reason for the discount. Furthermore, the date of registration was blank on both the Order form and service booklet. Furthermore, there was 0 on the clock. Furthermore, the predelivery service stamp is dated the day before I collected the car! Can anyone blame me for thinking I was buying a new car? The reason for my post is not to ***** about it, however, but to find out if anyone else has been stung by this tactic. I don't want to mention the garage, but I am hoping that there are others with a similar experience, who might have purchased from the same place.

AO Silver Member

Sounds like a ****ty deal. Have you gone to the garage to speak about it?
Hasn't ever happened to me personally although I've never bought a new car....
colken

Not ten minutes ago I heard an ad on the radio for BMW advertising a great deal from all main BMW dealers....that all 131 registered cars are at a knock down price, with full warranty, etc, etc....same thing, I reckon. They're all at it. Yep, my dealings with the garage are ongoing, which is why I'm trying to find more owners who were caught out. I intended to sell the car this year and did a motorcheck on it, so that I could sell it in good faith with full service history, etc. It was the motorcheck.ie report that threw up "two owners, including current". Now I don't feel I can sell the car until this is all sorted. Plus, I thought I'd be selling a 3yo Brera with only one owner (me), rather than what is now, in reality, a third hand car! Not a happy camper

AO Silver Member

I think BMW is doing this because on the 1st of July 132 comes out so the 131 will need to be gotten rid of I'd say.
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by colken View Post
Not ten minutes ago I heard an ad on the radio for BMW advertising a great deal from all main BMW dealers....that all 131 registered cars are at a knock down price, with full warranty, etc, etc....same thing, I reckon. They're all at it. Yep, my dealings with the garage are ongoing, which is why I'm trying to find more owners who were caught out. I intended to sell the car this year and did a motorcheck on it, so that I could sell it in good faith with full service history, etc. It was the motorcheck.ie report that threw up "two owners, including current". Now I don't feel I can sell the car until this is all sorted. Plus, I thought I'd be selling a 3yo Brera with only one owner (me), rather than what is now, in reality, a third hand car! Not a happy camper
Whats the plan for the next car then? Are Tracta selling it on your behalf then or did you trade it in?

Edit: just seen you sold it to them.
colken

Still looking around for the next car and have use of a friends for the month of August. It's no skin off my nose what they get for the Brera, but I would hate anyone to walk into a sale blind, which is why I posted in the other thread.

It annoyed me that they advertised it as having only one owner, when all the documentation in my possession states clearly that I was the second owner. It annoys me that they claim only 39Km, when there is well in excess of 40 on the clock. As I say, I've got my money back and have walked away from them, so fair play if they find someone naive enough to pay 22g for the car, but I hope anyone thinking about it will give me a shout, so I can supply them with copies of all the repair works done on the car when I owned it. Not counting the two scheduled services, it was in for repairs nine times from August 2010 to March of this year and four times since! Glad to be shut of it, to be honest.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , ownership , registration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page